Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Alientank

6.1 surround sound

I know that Doom 3 is supposed to be compatible with 5.1 surround sound however do any of you know if it will sound better on 6.1 surround then it would on 5.1. Since 6.1 as far as I know won't be supported but is the next step.

Alientank, could you pleeeeaase do me a favour and try and post threads in the right forum? Ktx.

Uh, why wouldn't id support it? And after the fact, they could always offer a patch to add 6.1 support to Doom 3.

Sorry dsm. Ya, I wasn't sure about how hard it would be to patch it so that 6.1 would be implemented and I got the idea that maybe the 6.1 cards might have 5.1 on them as well and would just play off that.

Heh, odd...my Soundblaster LIVE! has support for 7.1 speakers? O_o. Wtf? Interesting! 7.1 makes more sense than 6.1 IMO.

AndrewB said:

Pff, they're just meaningless numbers.

Please elaborate so that I know what all the fuss about Doom 3 supporting 5.1 surround sound was all about (in case you didn't know, people were very excited with this around a year or a half ago)

Maby the 6.1 card will translate it form 5.1 to 6.1 ya never know.

BigBadGangsta said:

Heh, odd...my Soundblaster LIVE! has support for 7.1 speakers?

Mine dose to. Maby they have it but wont put it out for some time.

My SBLive! card doesn't have 7.1... [runs and kills self].
In all seriousness, someone said in another thread how little difference it is actually going to make as far as the immersion goes. I'm sure by the time D3 hits the shelves they'll have like 98.1 surround sound but i won't be any happier playin that than i will with 5.1.

Hmm, I thought the first soundcard to support 7.1 was the Audigy 2. Oh well, shows what I know.

Anyway, 5.1 sound really does make a difference in games (Thief 1 & 2 make great use of it), although I'm not sure how much better 6.1 or even 7.1 will be.

I got a set of 5.1 speakers two days ago. Logitech z-640's. With this Audigy, the sound rules. Games that support 5.1 kick royal ass.

Shaviro said:

Why does anyone buy Creative when you can buy Terratec and Hercules?

Creative has decent speakers for a good price.

gatewatcher said:

Creative has decent speakers for a good price.

A friend of mine bought their speakers and sent them back. Only 100 watts total power I think in them. This system will rock.