Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

3 hours ago, doomfrik said:

Whats is the 'vintage' build of GZDoom? Zdoom?

It sounds like your graphics chip is too old to run the current version of GZDoom. You can download the latest version of the Vintage build (which is designed to work with older graphics chips) here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-vintage/

8 minutes ago, tmorrow said:

I'm pretty sure it is not an Eviternity issue. It is an OpenGL issue with the latest GZDoom4.0.0 requiring at least OpenGL 3.3+ (for its framebuffer support). The recent GZDoom3.7.2 offered both a modern (OpenGL3.3+) build and a vintage (older OpenGL) build. However, as of GZDoom4.0.0 no vintage version is planned so those with GPU's that don't support OpenGL3.3+ will be stuck on GZDoom3.7.2 until they can upgrade to a GPU with the required OpenGL support.  With 74% of gaming rigs using Nvidia graphics cards with automatic OpenGL support, most people won't have any problems with the new GZDoom requirements.

Actually I think it might be an issue with software renderer. I just tried playing Eviternity with GZdoom 4.0 and it played flawlessly when using Hardware renderer. However, using software renderer resulted in a crash.

4 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Actually I think it might be an issue with software renderer. I just tried playing Eviternity with GZdoom 4.0 and it played flawlessly when using Hardware renderer. However, using software renderer resulted in a crash.

There seems to be several people with varying issues right now. Doomfrik's problem was with OpenGL and what my previous post was addressing.

Cyberdreams and you are both having a problem with the software renderer, which is a completely different configuration and has a different cause. Hopefully someone can come up with a solution to this problem, I don't use the software renderer and don't know much about it.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

It sounds like your graphics chip is too old to run the current version of GZDoom. You can download the latest version of the Vintage build (which is designed to work with older graphics chips) here: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom-vintage/

Thanks!!!! With this gzdoom version it works also, and I can view very better graphics than with zdoom.

I'm a little late to the party on this one, just played through it (in GZDoom / Zandronum and also a bit in zDoom after beating it). I honestly would say this is a top 5, maybe even top 3 wad I've ever played. Those new textures are incredible. There is an astounding amount of variety in the visuals and the design. You could charge money for this wad and it'd be worth it.

Long story short: if you haven't played this yet, do!

With that said, I did notice a few tiny graphical bugs here and there. For example, there are some 'fake bridges' such as in level 10 that aren't hard textures, and you'll see cacos float right through them. It's a little bit immersion breaking, but obviously not the end of the world. In addition, sometimes the trees in the snow levels would clip in and out for me. Also, I noticed the portals on the ground (like the one at the beginning of level 28) have some dark lines through them depending on your angle. This is more noticeable in zDoom but it's there in GZDoom for me too. I couldn't find a setting that would make them disappear altogether.

Also, speaking of zDoom, level 14 had a small rogue line of texture near the beginning, but this one didn't appear in GZDoom (otherwise I noticed no extra glitches or differences between the two). That isn't really a bug though, since you didn't mention zDoom as a source port of choice. Levels 26, 27 and 29 were also jitter-fests but that is 100% the fault of my outdated computer! Otherwise everything ran perfectly performance-wise, even level 32. Ultimately, if I could only fix one thing it would be those bridges / textures that the cacos can float through.

Anyway, fantastic work. If this is truly *final* final and you'll never touch it again, I get it, and it's remarkable amount of talent and effort that went into this project. This wad looks amazing and (more importantly) is fun to play. It'll definitely win a cacoward. The atmosphere is fantastic. I loved the new monsters, too, especially those ash caco things. This wad reminded me of Valiant, which I thought was terrific, but I think this one is even better. If you guys do ever go back to bug fix a few things, I'd be more than happy to do a more specific list. Otherwise there's no point :) Great work again!

7 minutes ago, Mr. Duk said:

With that said, I did notice a few tiny graphical bugs here and there. For example, there are some 'fake bridges' such as in level 10 that aren't hard textures, and you'll see cacos float right through them. It's a little bit immersion breaking, but obviously not the end of the world. In addition, sometimes the trees in the snow levels would clip in and out for me. Also, I noticed the portals on the ground (like the one at the beginning of level 28) have some dark lines through them depending on your angle. This is more noticeable in zDoom but it's there in GZDoom for me too. I couldn't find a setting that would make them disappear altogether. 

First, thanks for the kind words and thanks for playing it!

You're right that there are some mid texture fake 3D that could have blocked monsters more. For me, the first fight in map12 is one of the more obvious ones. What would have been needed is an invisible ceiling lowered into the fake 3D bit to block flying monsters at or above it, but not below it. This is doable in vanilla and with boom it should be even easier.

The clipping trees were improved a lot between RC1 and the final release, but the width of the sprites combined with the nature of the doom renderer means it still happens on occasion. In general GZDoom hides this much better than PrBoomPlus. I will probably try to make smaller and/or narrower trees next time.

The 2x2 flat tile portals showing seams is an old Doom rendering issue due to a bit of a rounding error in how floors a rendered. I don't know that this can be solved in PrBoomPlus without causing compatibility issues, but in GZDoom the seams disappear if you play without texture filtering. Sadly this is not something that can be changed with the textures themselves.

I don't think we're going to make any further updates; I know of a couple of stupid errors that remain in my map but they don't seem to be dealbreakers so consider the final version living up to its name =)

3 hours ago, ukiro said:

I know of a couple of stupid errors that remain in my map but they don't seem to be dealbreakers so consider the final version living up to its name

Well, performance drops down drastically in some parts of map32. Some areas are playable in 640x480, others forces me to switch to 320x240. It's wonderful map and i would like to play through it all in 640x480.

The blue key room is brutal on the frame rate if you have dynamic lights on; it seems to interfere with the translucent blue lasers. Turning that off seems to solve it for all cases I’ve seen so far. 

But other than that, I’ve not heard performance complaints before. What’s your computer like and what engine are you using? Also, where are the performance drops happening?

ukiro, you did map 32, right? That was one of my favorite maps (both the secret levels were terrific imo). You're right, when I had dynamic lights on it did give me some performance drops, but I turned them off and it was smooth as butter. I play at 1920x1080.

10 hours ago, ukiro said:

For me, the first fight in map12 is one of the more obvious ones.

Ah, yes, you're absolutely right on this. I know that bridge is made of snow, so there's some suspension of disbelief (I doubt icicles would stop a caco). Nonetheless, whenever a monster clips through an entire texture or wall it definitely looks like a bug.

The 2x2 flat tile portals showing seams is an old Doom rendering issue due to a bit of a rounding error in how floors a rendered.

You're totally right. I'm pretty sure I've run into this issue before and been given the same answer. My mistake!

I don't think we're going to make any further updates; I know of a couple of stupid errors that remain in my map but they don't seem to be dealbreakers so consider the final version living up to its name =) 

I totally understand this. You can nitpick something to death and never, ever finish it. There comes a point where you just have to say, "yeah, we're good with this!" With that said, this wad feels more like a magnum opus type of wad rather than an experimenting and playing around one, so possibly down the road it might be worth one laaaassttt revision.

Great work again, everyone should play this.

I've started playing through this earlier today, and may I just say I love how interconnected the transitions from one level to the next are so far. I also like how accurate the pistol feels, though I don't know if this is placebo effect from it having less animation frames. I've made it through maps 1 and 2 and saved about a quarter way to map 3. I just might be able to make it through all 32 maps of this wad. Though if the secret exits are as hard to find as the easily missable switches in maps 1 and 2, I might not be as quick as I want to be. Then again, from the screenshots alone, this seems like a wad that's worth exploring every single little nook and cranny. Nice work, guys!

Thanks for the kind words @Mr. Duk! Yes, this is "final final". As much a I would like it to be 'perfected', I have too much on my plate right now to dabble in Doom modding, and were I to do Doom stuff, I'd almost certainly rather start something new. :P

@Athel thanks! You're not under a placebo effect, the pistol has been made 100% accurate, by which I mean there's no bullet spread - it always shoots dead straight. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/421373030 = part 1. (maps 1-15)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/423075536 = part 2. (maps 31,32 and 16-18)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/424058876 = part 3. (maps 19-23)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/424425635 = part 4. (maps 24-30)

I can't wait to see OTEX in loads of other maps in the future. Eviternity was generally enjoyable from start to finish; the only thing I didn't like was the Annihilators having no wakeup/roaming sound. (was using GZDoom v 4.0)

Edited by Suitepee

14 hours ago, Suitepee said:

......the only thing I didn't like was the Annihilators having no wakeup/roaming sound.

That sounds strange, since Annihilators do have wakeup/roaming sound. Would you check the sound options, or try other source ports?

On John’s streams there were multiple occasions where they appeared to be silent, but also some where they did indeed play the alert sound (map26, 27). Not sure why they were silent so often though. Looked like latest gzdoom was used. 

My apologies if this has already been addressed, but this is a huge thread so it's easy to miss things..

Is there some reason I can't get this to work on my Zandronum server? I've got the wad hosted, but when I try to connect to it, I get this:

bugs.JPG

Anyone know what the deal is? I tried eviternity.wad as well as eviternity-zd9.wad, which runs fine on ZDaemon, and Zan actually does run it, but the door on map02 doesn't open.. I'd really love a version of this that can be hosted on Zan without this error, if anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it.

Fixed! I somehow ended up with a corrupted Eviternity file on my HD. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Doomkid

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No idea. Last I tried it on Zandro it worked perfectly. Currently at work so unable to investigate. If anyone else has an idea as to why please chirp up! :)

For some reason it's crashing when I open it up in GZDoom and select a difficulty. Error code C0000005

On map 19, linedef 22273 should have the same tag and functionality as linedef 24722, as both doors are identical. Again not game breaking, but seeing as I used the non functional linedef 22273 first, and therefore assumed that I couldn't use the functional linedef 24722 one either, so wandered around for ages looking for a switch and eventually had to pull up DB2 to figure out where to go.

Those minor things aside, brilliant and astonishing mapset. Thank you Dragonfly and everyone else associated with this mapset. for your work.

(post edited to remove what I thought was another mistake in map 19 but was my failure to look at DB2 properly)

Edited by bLOCKbOYgAMES

Guys, could you please tell me which configurations to choose to see true monster sets in Doom Builder 2? It shows not exactly what I face in the game. Some groups are just missing, but the editor shows they are set for all difficulties

Spoiler

builder-game-selection.png

MP-only-monsters.png

difficulty-sets.png

Edited by Dimon12321 : Replace images with links to free DW space

3 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

Guys, could you please tell me which configurations to choose to see true monster sets in Doom Builder 2? It shows not exactly what I face in the game. Some groups are just missing, but the editor shows they are set for all difficulties

Reveal hidden contents

659518437_.png.2ca8dfbbebcd72e5d23688ce08bc05cb.png1754453494_.png.096c0dd84e7db14baa4fef9f665b512b.png2030169870_.png.cb951f9ec0efae9cfb8fb8941e7b7722.png

You've outlined MP-only enemies (see the "Multiplayer" flag checked).  You can use "-solo-net" command line parameter to play in single player coop mode and they will appear.

So... I went back to play Eviternity again, and Map27: Heliopolis might be the most impressive map in the whole project... but for whatever reason, one small detail seemed odd to me and maybe Dragonfly can explain his thought process. The psuedo 3d architecture is obvious achieved by using a solid black texture as the back side of midtextures and the effect works flawlessly with black because you're always looking at the under side of the architecture... except here...

I made a stupid mockup showing this particular bridge with a flat tan colour instead of black since it's the only faked 3d that is below you and the light source. Was it an aesthetic choice to just choose black for everything?

eviternity.png

Sorry I'm late for the party, but I gave this a whirl, and it was rather fun! Have to start over though...

On 6/10/2019 at 10:02 PM, dramubs said:

For some reason it's crashing when I open it up in GZDoom and select a difficulty. Error code C0000005

Never had such an issue (and that's with the latest GZDoom, mind you), but that's only because I used ZDL to launch the WAD.

Hi Scuba Steve! Thanks for the compliments. :)

Honestly, I'm not sure I recall the reasoning at this point in time, was probably quicker to work with what I had. That said, your example certainly looks better though, so if I was to ever make improvements to these maps (which isn't going to happen, heh) I'd certainly implement it.

Release your community betas for feedback during the summer instead of the school year so I have more time to play and respond :P

On 7/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, Scuba Steve said:

Release your community betas for feedback during the summer instead of the school year so I have more time to play and respond :P

Yes sir! o7