Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Doom Squared Part 17

Doom Squared Part 17

AFTER-ACTION REPORT

...The charred remains of the arachnotron lay strewn at out feet. We had attacked it with plasma rifles from three directions. It's blood has splashed all over the wooden paneling, staining it a bright crimson. Jess wiped the blood from her helmet screen and looked my direction.

"God, that thing smells. Did you know that it's head was going to explode like that?"

"No, usually these things topple forward, impaling their heads on their limbs. This guy was different, maybe his plasma short-circuted or something. Hell, I'm not digging around in that mess to find out what happened..."

"Uh, sir, and...uh...sir. We should probably get onto that lift. I can't hold this switch down forever..."

The wooden elevator was clicking from the blood spilling into the internal works. We hopped on, and waited for it to rise.

The room at the top was also wood, either a old wing of the hotel, or a modern part, twisted and demonicly warped like the rest of this building. There were a number of twisty little passages, two of them dead ends, but the exit lay in the room at the end.

The other side of the teleporter was alot shabbier than the demon hotel we had just cleared out. A large room with brown plaster walls greeted us, and behind, the gurgling of hell-spawn on a ledge above.
I put my finger up to the mini speaker on my helmet, indicating them to turn them off. I did as well, and huddled closer to them. We could only hear each other through the intercoms.

"Well, Jess, what do you read?"

Back at the makeshift base, Jess had been fitted with a new X2 helmet, that had such new features such as infrared night-vision, zoom enhancements, and most importantly, heat sensors. I had been offered one by the tech teams, but I perfered the one I still had from Mars

She pushed a small grey button on her wristband controller. Her tinted screen turned a shade or two lighter,and I could see a expression of terror on her face.

"Oh god!" she pushed the button again almost as soon as she had turned it on. "It's that thing, there's another one here! just like the on back at the circle!" She curled up into a ball on the floor, shaking.

"What is it? Answer me, lieutenant! That's an order!"

"An Arch-Vile. Standing right outside the building. I could see it's shape through the wall, it's outline bright white! Oh god, we're all gonna die"

She was panicing, and I had to do something. Alex still had the BFG, but we were down to 10 power cells from that encounter in the lift.

"Alright, we'll stay here tonight." I took out my phase 2 shotgun, backed up, and took out all the imps on the platform. I heard glass falling outside, and realized I must have hit a window.
"Keep all sound to a bare minimum. Alex, you get those space blankets out of your pack and keep Jess warm. I'll work the graveyard shift and guard us. Get some rations if you can, and sleep too. If there is an Arch-Vile outside, than we'll need our strength to fight it in the morning."

Some nice ideas there, I like the part with the archvile, but to be honest, I think you made Jess a little too wimpy. She sees an archvile and after telling the others she's the only one who panicks?

Oh well, it's probably a matter of preference.

dsm said:

Some nice ideas there, I like the part with the archvile, but to be honest, I think you made Jess a little too wimpy. She sees an archvile and after telling the others she's the only one who panicks?

Oh well, it's probably a matter of preference.

Shell shock, maybe. they're going through Hell here, on their own Terra Firma. They may be Marines, but that's gotta snap a few brains here and there, and a few people's brains are more fragile than others. Well, the others not panicking does stump me. They should be fearing firey death as well... Yarr...

Sputnik said:

Shell shock, maybe. they're going through Hell here, on their own Terra Firma. They may be Marines, but that's gotta snap a few brains here and there, and a few people's brains are more fragile than others. Well, the others not panicking does stump me. They should be fearing firey death as well... Yarr...

What I'm getting at is that it's funny that it happens to be only the female marine that snaps. Oh well, forget what I said.

So far, Doomguy and Alex have been the only two in their group who've killed an Arch-Vile. Jess, saw the one back at 'O' of destruction, and got very scared and hid. She's aged around 25, Alex is about 19, and Doomguy is in his 30's. Just because she's female, doesn't meen she's a wimp. Imagine being in a dark building, pitch black, and swing a blinding white archvile right in front of you.

look for some forshadowing in Part 16