Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Peter Heinemann

Who uttered the moans?

http://people.freenet.de/flammberg/sound_recording.jpg

Heh, this pic shows Doug Zartman during sound production for Marathon Infinity.

Doug was the guy who lend his voice for the scream "THEY ARE EVERYWHERE" which you may remember from Marathon 2 - if you played this game. The picture is from the "Marathon Scrapbook" which came with the "Marathon Trilogy", a box set similar to Id´s "Id Anthology".
But I did not find any hint in the Book of Id... so...

I would like to know if there is anything known about who made the sound recordings for Doom and who lend his voice which specific monster. I did not find any hint in the Book of Id...
Maybe I knew this before and the remembrance has been erased from my brain, so if anyone knows, please give input.

Bobby Prince made the sounds (it's noted in the credit screens), albeit some or many of the sounds came from general sound packs available back then.

Extract a bunch of sounds from Doom and increase the speed. The demon alert sound is a dog barking. One of the podth sounds is very similar to a player death scream. The arachnotron idle sound is probably a sheep. The popain sound is someone saying ow or ah.

as picklehammer:

Yeah it's interesting when they slow down sounds. In OMF: 2097, many of the clanks were actually the sounds of spoons and various other metal objects hitting each other, slowed down.

Bobby Prince modified many sounds in doom from a sound sample cd, that is why you hear many doom sounds on tv (I heard the elevator sound just today in an animated short)... other appearances include The Mummy, commercials, etc.

I guess this was all slightly off topic but interesting to know.

The Doom sound most used would be the famous door opening and closing sound,which made an appearance in Batman Forever when the plane/jet thing batman flies turns into a sub after getting hit by a missile or something.

A lot of doom sounds have been repeated in movies, I've heard the Icon of Sin cube-shooting noise in several movies, and the camels in the mummy made dying trooper noises. I think this is because sounds are syndicated so anyone can license them for their movie/game.

The most used Doom sounds in movies, shows, commercials, etc. are the PSX Doom sounds. I was just watching "Tomorrow Never Dies" and noticed OVER half the sounds were stolen from PSX Doom. Another popular game that sounds have been ripped off from repeated times by hollywood is Resident Evil. Damn near every car and truck commercial I've seen uses Resident Evil's menu sound effects.

I seriously doubt any of the movies or commercials even bother to get permission. I suspect they are able to get away with it over some technical loop-hole.

In Men in Black 2 when J kills one of those flying goons near the end of the movie, it plays the Hell Knight death sound.

In many NFL games (I forgot which channel, probably Fox), they use all sorts of gimmicks and special effects. Sometimes, I hear the first half of DSBFG (the charging sound, but not the sound it makes when it actually shoots).

When was the last time you saw a camel in a recent movie that didn't make the imp death sound?

IMJack said:

When was the last time you saw a camel in a recent movie that didn't make the imp death sound?

Heh, may be a corny answer, but true: the last time I saw a camel in a movie it actually made a former human death sound! :P People who remember the latest Hercules series with mr Bacon, probably remember a part of the intro too, where you see the silhouette (??) of a Minotaur-like... something, making a former human spotting sound. I always wondered who made those sounds...

It would be cool to get a comment from ID software on this thread. Maybe they can shed some light on where the sounds truely came from and why so many companies are allowed to use them.

FirebrandX said:

I seriously doubt any of the movies or commercials even bother to get permission. I suspect they are able to get away with it over some technical loop-hole.

The technical loophole being that all the aforementioned sounds are taken from big commercial sound effects compilation CDs, which sound designers everywhere have access to because they don't want to have to create their own sounds for every little thing from scratch.

Linguica said:

The technical loophole being that all the aforementioned sounds are taken from big commercial sound effects compilation CDs, which sound designers everywhere have access to because they don't want to have to create their own sounds for every little thing from scratch.

Sounds logical, but why were the sounds first heard on Doom? It seems just as logical that you'd hear those sounds before Doom ever came out. Instead, it was quite a few years later before you start hearing them on commercials and movies. I'd still like ID's official word on this...

maybe they were used before but we never noticed?
I don't know.

It is weird watching tv and you hear a sound that is from a video game.

Yeah, it's possible Ling could be correct. I know they use sound databases now for some video games, but I'm wondering if Doom was old enough to have been created from scratch (soundwise).

It is cool thinking that a large amount of sounds that are commonly used came from doom..
There has to be an answer to this somewhere..

Well. I heard some SFX from Doom, in Universal Soldier, which came out before Doom. And I heard the boss shooter sound (the skull box doobie) in The Crow, right near the start when T-Bird and his gang blow up an arcade.

The Crow came out after, but if what you say about Universal Soldier is true, it certainly sounds like Doom may not be the first to use those sound effects. I'll have to give a listen to that movie and see (hear) for myself. Too bad I can't stand Van Varenberg movies... (his real last name).

KoRn said:
It is weird watching tv and you hear a sound that is from a video game.

not at all uncommon.

I’ve herd doom sounds in arrgh real monsters, and an ice coffee commercial, (the one with big foot in it).

Unreal had the zombie/shotgun/chaingun guy dying noise for one of the cow things.

The first time I remember something like this happening is in Airplane 2, when, if I remember right, some kid came into the control tower and started playing around with a joystick. Meanwhile, outside a shuttle was flying all erratically until it finally explodes. During all that time you could hear all sorts of Yar's Revenge sounds.

I remember on MTV a few years ago one of the Road Rules or Real World commericials CONSTANTLY played the spiderdemon sound. Boy was it annoying.

I noticed the camel before. I LMAO, it was pretty funny.

I've also noticed that lots of people use the sound from diablo 2 when you cast a portal. Also the Quake slipgate noise is used in a local lotto commercial

It isn't just sound effects...

One of the CD audio tracks from Half-life is constantly used in Buffy and Angel. I'm not entirely sure (I can't be bothered to dig out the CD), but it may also be used in the second official Quake 2 mission pack, Ground Zero.

EDIT: Oh, and I've also heard several Quake 2 tracks being used in various adverts and trailers.

I was watching a show with music videos, and in a old Beastie Boys one (Spare me god) there was the Doom door open/close sounds.

And in Rammnstein's song "Rammnstein", they sample the player death sound.

Trasher][ said:
I was watching a show with music videos, and in a old Beastie Boys one (Spare me god) there was the Doom door open/close sounds.

And in Rammnstein's song "Rammnstein", they sample the player death sound.

Actually, the song was Wollt Ihr Das Bett in Flammen Sehen (do you want to see the bed in flames). They used the player death and the shotgun cocking sound.

While watching Eight Legged Freaks, I heard either the Fireball throwing sound or the Baphomet skull-box launch noise when the gas truck exploded. Now that I think about it, whenver there's a firey blast on TV or in movies, you can hear these sounds. Oh, and if I remember correctly, I can recall hearing the Doom door opening noise about 37 times in a single Sci-Fi channel movie. Kyah!