Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WeRtheFastHeadcrabz

Map that functions in gzdoom 2.4 is broken in 4.2 *updated*

Question

So, lately I've been wanting to get back into making WADs, but I haven't updated GZDoom in ages. So when someone with the latest version tried to run it, the map was completely broken. I tried for myself and sure enough, got the same problem. (Luckily I made a small test map just to house NPC's, items, and concepts I plan to edit, so i didn't lose too much work if it's SOL)

Not only does my 3d floor seem to act like some impenetrable fortress throughout most of the map (in the main hallway) , but all my linedefs act like walls. Teleport linedefs, linedefs to lower lifts, all solid. Yet, in gzdoom 2.4, it all functions perfectly.

I've attached screenshots comparing the two, as well as how I made the offending floor. When the hud has the bricks to the sides, it's 4.2, and when it doesn't it's 2.4. At first I thought it was just the 3d floor, but why are the linedefs broken as well?

I am using GZDoom: Doom 2 Format.

Edit: Swapped the shots for the map.

Edit: In my attempts to troubleshoot, I found even removing the 3d floors didn't fix the issue. Is this a compatibility thing? I am running the latest version of GZDoom builder, though.

Test Map.rar

Edited by DoctaCaffeine : had screenshots instead of map, and then updated map info

8 answers to this question

51 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Update the MAPINFO lump to the current format

https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Map_definition

Also:

Linedef special 281 ?

Linedef special 306 ?

YjJ11WV.png

Appreciate your time. This is what those are supposed to be. Although the second was a mistake, fixing it sadly did not fix the map. Also am not sure why it functions in 2.4 and not 4.2. Am I using dummied out definitions, or something?

256792097_lindef306.PNG.5c545865d96194f918334dc64a9e0dc8.PNG1013355881_linedef281.PNG.524369508221e42e69dcdde59f52ba1c.PNG

Okay, removing said actions didn't fix it but deleting that entire corridor of faces did. Not exactly sure why, but I think I now have a clue. When I removed it, everything functioned as it should. Although I am confused to why gzdoom 2.4 had it functioning while 4.2 didn't. I am kind of a noob to things such as 3d floors (my most complex maps in the past were on par with Episode 3 maps.)  I think I may have made some config error, as I used a different 3d floor option than all of the tutorials. It worked for me until this cropped up. Still, have a direction on what went wrong. If you notice anything else going wrong with it, please tell me. Thanks for your time.

Also, apologies about the title image. That's a placeholder, and I just grabbed a random image off my computer.  I forgot I put it in until I did some troubleshooting after the fact.

EDIT: Did some MORE trouble shooting and it turns out I didn't fix all the improper tags.

So, I improperly tagged something using functions that aren't compatible, and for some reason, one of them worked in an old version of gzdoom 2.4, and both worked in 4.2. Feel kind of goofy about that, but glad it was caught.

Edited by DoctaCaffeine

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

Use Action Special 160 for 3D floors.

Well, I wasn't using the right format. Just converted to the right format and now everything is what the tutorials have said.

Still weirded out to why 2.4 and 4.2 acted differently with the tagging error, but it's irrelevant now that I fixed the format.

9 hours ago, DoctaCaffeine said:

Still weirded out to why 2.4 and 4.2 acted differently with the tagging error, but it's irrelevant now that I fixed the format.

Things like this are called "undefined behavior", i.e. you did something wrong the engine had no provisions for and the result was mostly random.