Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrbnBased

Delta Touch on Android

@Arca move the cursor down to the populated list and "move right" (whether using gamepad or touch controls) and it will show the next in the predetermined list. You can also select "no" under show empty, to hide empty servers as well, to better sort thru the clutter.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Welfare Prodigy

I was able to connect to a game with pc users on Zandronum through Delta Touch on my phone by looking up the ip address of the server and using the parameter +connect x.x.x.x:x with all that being the ip address and port. But wow that's cool that there is a server browser thingy in the menu in-game! 

Also I just want to state that this is revolutionary that we now have a real cross-platform multiplayer for Doom now.

@beloko I think I encountered a minor bug. When selecting the chainsaw from the weapon wheel nothing happens. The usual fist/chainsaw toggle works however.

12 hours ago, beloko said:

Yeah added Zandronum and gzdoom 4, what device have you got? Gzdoom 4 needs GLES 3.2 and a very powerful device, but now the shaders work. 

Didn't see that part but they added Zandronum?  Awesome!

7 hours ago, CrbnBased said:

Got a Snapdragon 835 in my main device and  and a Snapdragon 820 in my backup.  Also have an Acer R11 chromebook that has an Intel N3150, I think it does opengl 3.2, no vulkan though.  I played around for only about a half hour and only on my main device.  Just one question though, is vulkan supported through the app, I tried running Hurt with both opengl and vulkan but didn't see much difference, neither crashed though, which is nice.

Vulkan code is not enabled yet. I don't know the difference (if there is any?) between mobile and desktop Vulkan. Hope to try it out soon though

5 hours ago, beloko said:

Vulkan code is not enabled yet. I don't know the difference (if there is any?) between mobile and desktop Vulkan. Hope to try it out soon though

From my understanding Vulkan code on desktop is the same as mobile.  I may be wrong because I used to read about it when it was new.  It is much more efficient than opengl in most cases, and helps to do more with less.

On a side note I did have a few mods crash with error messages.  I didn't get a chance to screen shot it, but when turning on FSAA it errors out and crashes.  I also tried Doom Remake 4 with the update.  Modern Dev gives me a wall of errors ending in no code being generated.  Using Legacy Dev loads the mod but without texture upgrades.  I'm also experimenting with how my devices handle PBR materials and high end graphics mods.

I'm loving the update so far, just hating my busy schedule.

Thought I'd post a pic of my Galaxy S7 setup I made.

It charges through a wireless charging pad behind the phone and uses USB OTG and a powered hub to add 3 additional USB 3.0 ports around back.  Just hook up my cheap kb/m and I got a micro computer.

MVIMG_20190611_174337.jpg

@CrbnBased don't enable any FSAA options, that can happen and it's a battery drain. If enabling any Android DEV options, turn on force GPU, it makes the GPU do the work for the CPU when computing FPS etc for games. 

What rendering option do you have selected in the engine config? GLES 3.1 or 3.2, software? (not render settings in the game menu but the config settings on the app main menu)

@UNERXAi the weapon wheel seems to be working fine, what engine are you using/experiencing this on? 

@Welfare Prodigy GZDoom (tested all versions except the newest one). If I select fist, I get the chainsaw and then I have to select it again to get the fist. If I select the chainsaw nothing happens. Btw, when I say "weapon wheel" I mean the wheel that appears when you press the center of the screen.

Curiously, while testing about for this ^ bug I notice that the weapon wheel in the old d-touch for gzdoom has the same behavior, while the weapon wheels for prboom+ in both d-touch and delta touch have chainsaw buttons that work, and the fist button goes to the fist first. It could also be something going on port-side as opposed to on delta touch's end.

I also found a different bug: cheats don't work in PrBoom+

One last thing: I've been having trouble connecting to servers through the in-game browser; it says that it can't find the pwads but not only do I have them, I even have them loaded up before starting Zand:

QaUApQG.png

CoOQ2mH.png

I can still connect to servers using "+connect ip:port" but the browser hasn't worked for me yet.

Edited by Fonze

11 minutes ago, UNERXAi said:

@Welfare Prodigy GZDoom (tested all versions except the newest one). If I select fist, I get the chainsaw and then I have to select it again to get the fist. If I select the chainsaw nothing happens. Btw, when I say "weapon wheel" I mean the wheel that appears when you press the center of the screen.

@UNERXAi I apologize lol I thought you said chaingun. I read it fast this morning. I see what you mean and does the same for me too. We can reach out to @beloko the issue is made aware of for a future update/fix. 

I rarely use touch controls but if I do I use the arrows for the weapons. They can be enabled in the in game settings cog, right underneath it is a sub menu (3 lines) 

Sorry about that!

44 minutes ago, UNERXAi said:

The wepon wheel just simulates pressing the numbers 0 to 9, the behaviour you see is due to this. I will look to fixing it. 

33 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Curiously, while testing about for this ^ bug I notice that the weapon wheel in the old d-touch for gzdoom has the same behavior, while the weapon wheels for prboom+ in both d-touch and delta touch have chainsaw buttons that work, and the fist button goes to the fist first. It could also be something going on port-side as opposed to on delta touch's end.

I also found a different bug: cheats don't work in PrBoom+

One last thing: I've been having trouble connecting to servers through the in-game browser; it says that it can't find the pwads but not only do I have them, I even have them loaded up before starting Zand:

QaUApQG.png

CoOQ2mH.png

I can still connect to servers using "+connect ip:port" but the browser hasn't worked for me yet.

I think it's because it's looking for the pwad in current directory which is Delta, it doesn't know about the mods and wads folder. I need to fix it so it looks in thoses for the files also. Try putting the pwad in the iwads folder to see if that works 

1 hour ago, beloko said:

I think it's because it's looking for the pwad in current directory which is Delta, it doesn't know about the mods and wads folder. I need to fix it so it looks in thoses for the files also. Try putting the pwad in the iwads folder to see if that works 

Ah yes doing this worked! I didn't even need to preload the wads through parameters. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

@Fonze not too sure about the rest of the issues but cheats work ok in Pr+ 

Hmm very strange I just tried again and it is working; I tried several times with a few cheats before I posted that but maybe my fingers are that uncoordinated lol. Ty :)

Apologies for the incorrectitude of my previous statement.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:45 AM, UNERXAi said:

It's pretty good. I use GZDoom 3.2.5 with the Software renderer (the GL version lags with some maps on my current phone). I also capped the framerate because it make the controls feels more responsive for some reason.

Something I found pretty useful for controlling was to put a duplicate Fire button on the screen (left side). That way sometimes I can aim and fire at the same time without having to lift my right thumb you know what I'm saying? I've been getting better at it and managed to beat Doom on HMP.

same wrt the second fire button. I think I had already beaten UD on the easiest setting though.

With cellphones beng the #1 appliance of the world now, I think its pretty cool that basically the entire world can play DOOM1|2.

I am having an absolute blast with the new update, I've been focusing my efforts on the new version of GZDoom and what it now brings to the table for mobile Dooming!

I've looked into Wads and Addons that would push the limits of the app and my devices, so far I'm very impressed.  I have made another video, this time with an experimental e1m1 with light sources that'll work with PBR.  The framerate on my phone was much better than seen in the video, must have been an encoding issue, also there is no sound since it wants to record from the microphone and work was loud.

1 minute ago, beloko said:

That looks seriously nice! What kind of fps were you getting? 

high 20's average on GLe1m1, it does drop to single digits sometimes and I'm still tweaking the settings, but that's with Bloom, lens distortion, and low ambient occlusion on.  I have a few mods and total conversions I want to try running and will make a note of any tweaks I did to get it running.  Finally slowed down at work so I can use my Chromebook to search for all the wads I'm going to test, just now getting a list of wads/mods to upload to drive.

The main mods I want to try are the ones my laptop hasn't a prayer of running, like Doom Slayer Chronicles, Doom Remake 4 or anything with those sexy rendering techniques.  It's strange, I don't even want to play the game I just want to see what I can get to run!

@CrbnBased if you already have DooM Remake 4, keep it cause it's no longer available for download if/until the dev changes and re-releases it under a different project name. 

And be careful posting videos of it as I am sure ZeniMax is watching lol 

Good work. Yeah I found bloom slowed it down quite a bit. I will check these out. 

6 minutes ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

@CrbnBased if you already have DooM Remake 4, keep it cause it's no longer available for download if/until the dev changes and re-releases it under a different project name. 

And be careful posting videos of it as I am sure ZeniMax is watching lol 

Wow, I just downloaded DR4 when Delta Updated.  Zenimax is on shaky ground at best in regard to DR4 being infringing.  If he really wants to make them mad he can just say "OK Zeni, I'll remove all the Doom Reboot stuff like you asked" and since his mod is called Doom Remake 4 he does nothing, plus they have to prove damages.

@CrbnBased slowdown could just be due to how many add-ons you are using at once, may not necessarily depend on the size of the mods itself or how many, but how they're interacting with each other. That seriously looks amazing tho. I am going to have to try it myself and see how it does. 

I know with recording it can have hiccups like that, what recorder do you use? If not already, try using DU Recorder. I have found that works a lot better than other apps I've used.

Yeah I think they're being a little too much with that whole fiasco. It is still available, not on ModDB but he has until the 20th to take downloads offline and "destroy" it lol but if he was smart (and I think he is) he will comply with their grievances and will come back out with it renamed. 

Lol looks like I spoke too soon, Vasyan777 already took care of it

That's probably why you could download it, there was another site he kept it on that he didn't take down (at that time) but didn't feel like making a profile just to download it lol

1 minute ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

@CrbnBased slowdown could just be due to how many add-ons you are using at once, may not necessarily depend on the size of the mods itself or how many, but how they're interacting with each other. That seriously looks amazing tho. I am going to have to try it myself and see how it does. 

I know with recording it can have hiccups like that, what recorder do you use? If not already, try using DU Recorder. I have found that works a lot better than other apps I've used.

I'll take a look, right now I'm using AZ recorder, I'll see if that shows my phones performance more accurately.  It was only the Plastic Shaders and GLe1m1.wad that I found on Moddb, I loaded it earlier with Project Brutality 3.0 and it seemed to run at the same speed, but didn't get much time to test.

Spoke too soon again, go to that YouTube page and click the ModDB link.

You're still lucky to have it lol but I am sure others will "make it available" I'll wait until ZeniMax is happy. I see their argument and they are correct but this guy is just trying to do something he loves doing, they don't have to threaten him with legal issues, that's just being a bully, to me anyways.

Screenshot_2019-06-12-17-28-55.png

Edited by Welfare Prodigy

33 minutes ago, beloko said:

Good work. Yeah I found bloom slowed it down quite a bit. I will check these out. 

My work is nothing compared to yours Beloko, I cannot praise your efforts enough, you single-handedly rekindled my love for classic FPS just when I was becoming jaded with modern gaming.  I found my old iwads (even an un-updated doom wad with the wolf3d easter egg and red cross health), purchased the whole classic quake collection for Quad, even heard you worked on Xash3d for the controls, so I dug out Half Life as well.  It's been over 10 years since I've purchased an actual PC, my laptop was a hand me down and stuck on OpenGL 2.1.  You've given me a new way to enjoy something I love, I also owe it to you to master your greatest asset to all your apps the Controls!  These set the standard for all others to emulate, I have not found one single FPS that has controls anywhere near as accurate as yours.  If there is any way to license your controls to other Devs you will be swimming in money.

Just know that I will never forget what you've given me, I got my Doom back, and it's better than ever!

Oh and BTW, here's the error message when I run Doom remake 4 with modern Dev, runs without the PBR textures on Legacy, but has the slower framerate like the plastic textures video. It's like it's processing the PBR textures but not displaying them.

DR4 ERROR.png

I love Delta Touch. It has taken me awhile to get used to playing Doom with touch controls after playing with mouse and keyboard for 20 years,  but I've started to get more accilmated, to the point that I'm starting to feel pretty confident in some of my twitch shooting abilities with just my thumbs gliding on glass.

I love using Doom Retro in it. Right now im on a kick of playing through older wads from the 90s. Enjoying some old school gritty Dooming on my mid-tier but trusty Android phone is great.

It wasn't until I became a Dad a few years ago that I truly started to appreciate handheld gaming. It's very difficult to sit in front of a laptop or desktop when you need to be up at a moment's notice. Being able to click the power button and put my phone (and Doom session) into sleep mode and go do what I need to do is really a requirement for me now. I'm thankful that Delta Touch is so good at capturing the modern Doom experience on a mobile device. It allows me access to my desert island game of choice olong with the countless community efforts that expand it 😁

Have been playing around some more and wanted to post another vid of some gameplay that shows a little more of the graphics features of GZDoom on Delta Touch.  I have a pixel 2 with snapdragon 835, I'd love to see what the 855 can do.  No sound on the vid I apologize.

It's amazing how the fluidity of the touch controls really are and you maneuver them like no one's business lol @CrbnBased nice gameplay, you really rock those touch controls! 

I only use them to test new wads before I delve into one. The Moga is my go-to. One of these days we'll have to get some people together from the doomworld community to play some online deathwatch with. No mods, just straight up DooM.

16 hours ago, Welfare Prodigy said:

It's amazing how the fluidity of the touch controls really are and you maneuver them like no one's business lol @CrbnBased nice gameplay, you really rock those touch controls! 

I only use them to test new wads before I delve into one. The Moga is my go-to. One of these days we'll have to get some people together from the doomworld community to play some online deathwatch with. No mods, just straight up DooM.

I'd love to get a Doomworld Community Play Date together.  Classic Doom would only make it easier for cross platform play.  I'd find something weird to play on, like an Amazon Fire Stick gen 1.  We'd have to find out the best source port to use based on what's available for each different OS.