dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: SIGIL & Nihility & Back to Basics

Whew, almost forgot to play this today!

WAD: Nihility.wad

Source Port: PrBoom-Plus

Difficulty: Ultra Violence

Play-style: Continuous

Secrets: 5/7

Notes: This is my first time playing through Nihility!

E2M2: Speicherung

Spoiler

image.png.de8d42d5abeeafb0ddf6a4c59d8d9094.png

This map significantly ups the monster-count, with an even more mazelike map. This map has a lot of different and unique sections that give it a ton of variety. There's a maze, a crate section, a hardly lit room full of spectres, and an all out slugfest in an arena towards the end. This map has it all. I like the new Lost Soul variant that fires plasma at the player, it gives the lower tier of monsters a bit more variety. We also get our first baron in this level, who feels to have been modified so that it has less health (I may be wrong, it just felt like I killed it pretty quickly with the machine gun) The weapon reskins also give this mapset a ton of personality, almost feeling like a Doom Alpha project or something of the sort. I feel that this map is even better than the first. The non-linearity really shines.

In a level seemingly not at that different from the last, Years bares her fangs for the first

time and... well, you'll find out for yourselves soon enough.

Otherwise the map features the same sort of visual interconnectivity we've come to expect,

the occassional SoH motif, and an unexpected custom Plasma Rifle. Being of the general

opinion that if it isn't broke, don't fix it, I'm not entirely sold on some of the cosmetic

changes Nihility makes, but none of it is detrimental and it all adds to the flavour. 

Edited by Urthar

E2M3 - “Obstgarten”

New map with new gameplay elements introduced. The Doom 3 Wraith makes his debut in a large group which can easily maul you to death if you don't have the Plasma Rifle out. He's like a Pinky with less HP, but moves and attacks faster making him significantly more lethal. I didn't try it, but from memory you don't want to be punching or sawing them. Another new enemy makes a solitary appearance in a secret behind the map entrance door. This 'Imp-o-tron', who looks like a gray Imp, functions much like the Doom 2 mini-spiders in that he stops and rapidly shoots projectiles as long as you are in his line of sight. Not sure how I feel about the Plasma Rifle replacement; it's fatter and shoots green. The layout largely follows the main area + two side wings motif and is generally straightforward to navigate. Rockets and cells are at a premium but there are plenty of shells, bullets, and the obligatory Berserk pack. I also liked the Pinky closets between the crushers. They just urge you to make a bad movement decision.

E2M3: I remember this as the weakest level of the set. It isn't bad by any means, it feels like a calm interlude and with a less "dramatic" setting before jumping into the big maps that will come next. It's like the original E2M3 in that regards. The overgrown theme is kinda cool, the standout area for me would be the garden at the RSK. You pick the first plasmagun here, and the firing sound is replaced with something more pleasant to hear. 2 new enemies are introduced: a grey imp that fires continuously (Spectre01 already describe it well) but you will meet it only if you find all the secrets, and the Wraith. This last guy has only a melee attack but it's very fast and even if it goes down fast it can be very dangerous in groups and when they surprise you in the dark. The last trap demonstrates well what they can do and maybe it's a bit overkill, if you have the wrong weapon out you are likely bound to die.

E2M3: Obstgarten

This is more of a hubspoke affair after the sprawling, free-roaming experience of the preceding map, with red and blue wings extending off to the sides of the central start-to-finish spine that runs from south to north.  There's almost always some back-and-forth at work in Doom level design in terms of control of the available space, who's the invader and who's being invaded, but I think it's especially pronounced here, with the player invading, clearing, and securing the hub of the map and moving progressively through its adjacent spaces, only for waves of reinforcements to teleport in and quite deliberately contest control of those areas and letting the player alternate between the roles of invader and defender.  I do find it interesting that three of the map's four secret areas are "nested," not physically but in the way that one opens the way to the next which opens the way to the last; there's a sense of a much-enhanced payout from finding that first secret in the sequence not because it has something especially big and valuable behind it but because it opens up that many more places for you to go.

E2M1: Dammerung

100% kills, 5/5 secrets

Hmm, maybe this just caught me in a bad mood, or I'm getting annoyed a bit too much by certain pet peeves, but this one turned me off almost from the get-go. Bit surprising since everyone else seemed to really like it. It's very much an E2M1 homage, not only in texturing scheme, but in several of the design pieces here and there, such as the caco at the top of the long thin staircase, the dark secret room with the caco, columns, and optional key, the use of teleporters to progress around areas you can only see connected through windows, the list goes on. While it does have its own fresh layout, it started feeling a bit too homage-y to me. There's also a distinct lack of health on UV, I was sitting around 5 HP when I reached the exit (and was able to heal back up thanks to the secret chain at the end). I count 6 (+1 secret) stimpacks, 2 medkits (one at the exit, +3 or 4 in secrets) and the one berserk pack, which will definitely leave you in danger given all the hitscanners and lack of armor.

The lack of music is a huge negative to me, while the initial bit of machinery makes for decent background noise, overall it just makes me feel like the level is missing an integral part. Especially since, lack of music aside, it's basically a regular Doom map, it doesn't really feel different gameplay-wise to justify replacing the "go kick ass" guitar riffs with silence.

Not in love with any of the sprite replacements so far, but they're okay for the most part (the new imp fireball annoys me though, hard to see).

E2M2: Speicherung

Apparently ALL the music tracks were removed, so I can't even IDMUS some music. Sigh.

This one is a quite obvious homage to E2M4 from the start, but the level will branch out and homage the whole E2 episode rather than just one map - there's the obvious E2M2 box area, some E2M7 dark outdoors, E2M3 here, etc. I do think the strongest parts of the level though are when it does its own thing, specifically the yellow key fight and the big fight at the end. Secrets are good too.

Secrets: 0/4

Spoiler

image.png.03befcfadd8dacb04056e7de525bddc6.png

A more linear level with the only real exploration being the hub area, so very classic. This map has very limited health so its important you conserve the berserk at the beginning for later in the map- when you'll need it. Not too much to say, it's not quite as good as e2m2, but it does introduce a new monster. Not sure what it's called, but it can pack a punch, especially in groups, which is how you are introduced to it. If you're like me, and you are a bit slow on the uptake, the last section will fuck you up. Got through it pretty easily on my second playthrough, once I knew what was going on. These new monsters have fairly low health, but they can be overwhelming, so I'm glad I saved some plasma ammo for just this occasion.

Still playing on HMP, e2m3 was fairly linear like others say, but I don't think it's to the detriment of the level. It's a break from the previous two feeling less linear but also less like I'm fully aware of where I'm heading. In this level, it's more enemies & monster traps, and it seems the level has much less in the way of health & ammo. I found one secret, I found it more difficult to find secrets in this level than the past two.

This level also left me with 7 health after the last room, so I'll definitely be replaying the first three levels tomorrow to try to get more ammo & health before the fourth level. Overall, digging this wad's experience. 

Edited by Nymbus_Hustle

E2M3 was indeed, linear. The map was pretty fun.

I didn't use the plasma rifle in the map much, though. It doesn't have anything to do with that I don't think the sounds have enough "oomph", but more that I didn't think to use it in the situations that came after.

The new enemy's notified sound is a jumpscare and a half. I didn't expect it, and the group of them overwhelmed me on the first try of that room. The second try it was pretty easy, actually.

E2M4: Die Hallen

The title invokes E2M6: Halls of the Damned, and indeed that's echoed in the dim, flickery maze of wood, piping, and flesh that makes up the map's north-eastern node, but the adjacent matrix of blue-and-white high-tech owes more to E2M7: Spawning Vats, and once again there are certainly places where the map is very much doing its own thing; I feel as though the WAD author is playing here the role of a modern-day Victor Frankenstein, dissecting maps with a scalpel's precision and re-assembling those severed parts into a proportionatly larger and greater whole.  It's interesting that we're not yet halfway through the WAD and it's already dipping deep into the second half of The Shores of Hell for its inspiration; this does raise a number of delightful questions as to just what the later acts of Nihility might have in store for the player.

Overall I felt this was a slower-paced map than E2M3 despite its higher monster count and occasionally frantic encounters; there isn't the same tendency to steadily repopulate previously cleared areas as the player makes steps toward progress, so places that are made safe generally stay that way, silent tombs made all the more solemn by the WAD's lack of any music beyond ambient noise.  It's a puzzle, then, rather than a battlefield, to be taken apart with a strategic eye and solved one room, one locked door, one loop of corridor or series of chambers at a time.  There's an interesting contrast between the very flat shadow-maze area and the strong use of the vertical in other parts of the map, especially the multi-tiered wooden cathedral that separates the maze from the eastern toxin reservoir; the overall effect is disorienting, as though the map is built atop a living skin that has heaved and buckled to set different nodes and subzones at such strikingly different elevations.

E2M4: This maps is plenty of different locations, some borrow from the iwad more glaringly like the dark mazes of wood and tech taken from E2M6, or the silver and blue section of computer rooms inspired by E2M7, which was my favourite part. Of course the original areas won't be missing and everything is put together very well to create the characteristic theme of the E2 corrupted bases. The traps start to get more intense, and the improvment is also due to the new monsters that are put to use now, and compared to the previous levels the backtracking is lonely without surprises on the way. Lots of secrets to unravel, the soulpshere behid the vines in particular will engage you in rather complex hunt as you have to find 3 secrets before being able to pick it. There's a free computer map that will help you anyway. The secret invul is interesting, seems like it was designed to be used when you go to open the red door but the the fights are just normal there, it felt a bit wasted.

100% kills, 4/4 secrets

Not much to say about this one, though I liked it on the whole. As others have said the central area is basically a hub for the two wings, I found it a lot easier to traverse than the last couple of maps. They grey imp felt like an afterthought and wasn't presented in a way that served it (I didn't even realize it worked like an arachnatron since I killed it so quick) but the last room with the wraiths is a nice moment.

100% kills, 9/9 secrets

Very obvious repurposing of E2M6's wood-then-tech dark maze, and some tech areas reminiscent of E2M7. While "Speicherung" was pretty Tom Hall-ish, this one is even more so, and I had a lot of fun exploring the map. @TheOrganGrinder pointed out that this one has a lot less repopulating of areas, and I think that helps contribute - I can just run along for the ride and think about what's next instead of being on edge for what might lurk in areas I've defused once. The grey imps and wraiths continue to make appearances, and both were used to good effect - the wraiths definitely help punch up the dark maze, and the grey imps are actually placed in spots where they make good turrets, such as the final room. Secrets continue to be fun as well, like @gaspe I enjoyed the hunt for the soulsphere (and did end up relying on the computer map to help me figure it out).

Secrets: 3/9

Spoiler

image.png.c3bedb982c7b799a0f1fb7ae5b5eff11.png

And we get even more Ultimate Doom homages! The opening is reminiscent to "The Spawning Vats" and there's an entire section dedicated to "Halls of the Damned." There's a lot more, E2M7 is referenced a second time later in the map, etc. This map was obviously trying to remix several IWAD maps and it makes it feel almost like a "greatest-hits" compilation. More non-linear than the last, this map contains some fun segments to explore and a few pretty nasty traps, especially that one with the grey demons and Cacos. So far this map has captured the vibe of episode 2 very well. It feels very different from episode one and constantly introduces more never before seen demons and a few new textures. Can't wait to see what it does next.

A fairly large sprawling map, that's easier to navigate then you would initially expect, in

part due to it helpfully teleporting you back near your next objective.

The length works against it to an extent, since flaws in the mapset that were easily glossed

over in the shorter maps, become more apparent. And I've started to get a sinking feeling

that perhaps Nihility isn't quite as good as I remember it. I don't know if that's because I was

a bit less familiar with Shores of Hell a few years ago, or because I originally played it with the

Quake soundtrack. I'll try sticking some suitable soundscape music on for the next map and

see if that helps.

There's still a lot of cool stuff going on in Nihility, but at this point it definitely feels like it's

relying too heavily on the content of the iwad episode.

Edited by Urthar

E2M4 is... okay. I don't know E2 well, but I recognize a lot of these areas from E2. The layout isn't too confusing, and the combat, except maybe the spawning vats references, is kind of dull. The robotic imps didn't spice anything up in the slightest, and the majority of the combat didn't even involve them!

I also felt there were a bit many times where I could wait at a door to kill the monsters in the room.

The lack of music still doesn't bother me. It lets me think on my own. It also makes me ask questions like "Why are those skulls not bloody, but the rest of them are?". I will still not listen to any music while playing this mapset, so that I get the intended experience.

Yeah, a bit of Quake's dark ambient soundscape definitely helped, along with this map being

more of an original work.

By now I've gotten used to reading Nihility's encounter design, so this map was fairly easy

and the few ambushes that did catch me off guard were countered by the healthy supply of

ammo I've accumulated by this point, though I imagine things would be a bit more desperate

for someone pistol-starting.

I actually found a lot more secrets on this map. I think because initially I simply couldn't find

any keys, so I had to go exploring a bit. And it is a map that rewards exploration.

Edited by Urthar

E2M5: Albtraum-Haus

There's a name that evokes E3M4: House of Pain as much as anything from The Shores of Hell, but this is absolutely a gloomy, subverted techbase in the Deimos vein.  I didn't feel there were any deliberate and obvious callbacks to specific moments, levels, or areas within the vanilla game; instead, there's a weird sense of anonymity to the laboratories, storage areas, and excavated spaces on display here, as though whatever this facility might have once been, it's long since been hollowed out into little more than an incubator for Hell's brood.  It's a map that rewards patience and exploration, with the secret exit sealed away behind a trio of remotely-operated barriers that don't provide immediate feedback as to their function; those barriers, in combination with the long descent via lift and teleporter necessary to access the secret annexe in the first place, give a tremendous sense that the secret level is host to some great and ancient evil, sealed and buried in the hopes that it would be forgotten, until blundering UAC contractors dug it up again.  I think this level marks our first encounter with the "Grey Baron," which follows the same attack pattern as the gray imp and launches fireballs in a rapid, non-stop volley until interrupted by pain or the player's departure from its line of sight - quite the fiendish surprise in the circumstances in which it's first met!

E2M5: It's pretty cool how the levels get gradually more gloomy as you progress and the feel of "something went wrong here" gets more pronounced. From the beginning you are already (un)welcomed by the darkness and the starvation of resources that on pistol start makes you unsure of where you should go, hoping to find the weapons. This is also emphasized in the first parts where to collect the ammo you have to rely a lot one the hitscanners. I didn't notice before how the new lost souls are more sneaky, without the glaring red flames they blend a lot with the surroundings. I didn't remember that there were more variants of the baron, in the red hellish area it's introduced the grey baron that has the same behaviour of the grey imp. A fun thing to do is the hunt of the secret exit that is placed on a separate mini-area from the main map. It's neat how the yellow door room is a secret nested there, and after the red door are introduced the suicide zombies.

5 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Reveal hidden contents

DOOM0008.png.61dac884980ec82d509a41960c2d0eae.png

Don't?

stillgonnadoit.jpg.644139df1f0bfb8529dec52d4586b945.jpg

I'm gonna do it.

DOOM0012.png.94b124465aaed98296deaa5e3f8900f4.png

DOOM0010.png.8045aa43f1290f784622072668d029c5.png

Cue Skulltag taunt sound.

lol

E5M3 - “Cages of the Damned”

A fun change of pace. The plethora of meaty baddies in "Cages" begs for a chaotic run fest... not like that prevented me from trying to shotgun down a couple of them :P It seemed like a safe bet at the time, considering the ground to run on is an enemy in and of itself. The tight paths are not exactly interested in co-operating with the player, and it's a sniping gold mine and traffic jam zone for the various killer tomatoes floating about. The main star is definitely the 10% damaging floor, that thing thwarted so many escape plans and was a witness to so many (admittedly hilarious) deaths. Having a death squad right behind the RK door during that segment is UNCOOL (but actually it is :D). Ultimately had to engage in some grind, for my own sake, but i can see the fun in rushing through everything, and the secret soulsphere and RL helped a ton.

Not much for the eye candy fans here. The level transformations were neat and kept the visuals from being static. It gets bogged down by the sky reveal, however. It's... interesting for the supposed "lower depths of hell" to have this look, but honestly the actual texture is pretty ugly. Is there a backstory for this somewhere?

Also screenies in grainy vanilla mode suit Sigil so much:

4pUqIcT.png
MeidmXu.png

E5M4 - “Paths of Wretchedness”

Cute "pick your poison" scenario, +1 map interactivity. The middle path in pistol start is suicide, with plenty of margin for death thanks to groups of shotgun bastards and really hot floor. Carry-overs probably won't fair well here either because those two factors are big health saps, and it's safe to say poor Doomguy knows having good health is a premium here by now (relatable). The YK door is just Romero being cute btw. Taking left at start brings tight and intense combat reminiscent of E4's sassier outings, and probably the most viable place to start for non-continuous players. No-brainer highlight is the BK crusher maze. Not much to add, they are the most beautiful pounds of metallic death i've ever seen, a memorable moment of JR's creativity in the field of sadism.

Visually sharp too, one of the best in the set. Gonna paraphrase Urthar on the each are having a distinctive and lovely look. The final bridge takes the cake with an awesome sight of the signature hell cracks doing what they do best: being heckin cool. The color of the sky there almost made me forgive it. Almost

Gonna give a shoutout to the music too. My first playthrough was with the Buckethead soundtrack, and that is one of the best purchases ever! "The Patrolman" is a fav, so that makes two of us @Salt-Man Z ;) Buckethead guitar mastery is not something you hear in Doom often, but gives Sigil a whole new dimension. Gave  the Jimmy tunes a try too, and they were excellent as expected. Nice to hear the more sinister tracks of his dense catalog.

Some screenies:

knazv7p.png
9kJGY25.png
xpIfLfF.png

Secrets: 8/10

Spoiler

image.png.6c7efdc7d1ac8791eb332523e5b2ce12.png

Oh boy! This map! Getting the secret exit in this map was tough. All the secrets were extremely strange and required a lot of tinkering (I gave up and watched a uvmax to figure out that last switch for the secret exit). The BFG room is hilarious and caused me to restart the map, so kudos. I do think this map's maze-likeness works against it a bit. I got lost very often when I was secret hunting, it doesn't help that there are multiple teleports, which disoriented me. This map has some killer visuals, though. I'm always a fan of the vanilla-style techbase, but this map also incorporates more hellish elements (obviously, the set is an E2 homage). A certain highlight being the hellish caverns laced with crushers you traverse after getting the yellow key. Good stuff. The action is still pretty fun, and the incidental combat can be surprising at times. You never truly feel safe in this wad, and that's not a detriment. This one may not be my fav, but the mapset is still strong so far. On to the secret map! It had better be worth the pain it caused.

E2M9: The secret level makes you venture for a dark trip underground, for the most, the very long lifts that go down really make you feel you are going to explore the depths of the base that was either built there or dragged down by the hellspawn. We leave behind the iwad homages in this level and Hirntod looks inspired by Nicolas Monti mapping (usage of free and irregular shapes, extreme verticality). After another quiet beginning you first go down to the main hub area, with 2 giant skull pillars which look cool and give a nice horror-esque feel to boot the level. The hub will be repopulated few times as you revisit it later. At the lowest level the base looks rather normal and for that the things feel more weird. The crate storage is optional and it serves to unlock that door you can't open in that area, so you can visit the locker room and pick the plasma rifle. You can go there only once though and that apparently useless teleport can take you to another secrets (if you search carefully) that is needed to unlock an optional area that you can visit later. I like a lot the tall empty room with the surprise of the kamikaze. After you pick the RK it's time to go back, and up where you can finally see the sky. If you found all the secrets before coming here at the computer map closet there should be a small corridor open that leads to a very ominous looking area with a BFG and a lone encounter with a spiderdemon. The BSK are is one of my favourites parts of the wad, and one of the best spooky things done in Doom. It's a dark and rather simple maze-y area where at first you have suicide zombies hidden behind the corners and later when you pick the keys many wraith will fill the place. There few monster teleports lines that will keep to shuffle the enemies around you and it's hard to tell where they will come from. For the final return to the hub there's an invuln sphere that you can use but it's a bit intricate to do.

100% kills, 10/10 secrets

Another big exploratory map with lots of windows, though not quite as easy to navigate thanks to some one-way teleporters. I'm still playing continuous so the start here was a lot easier than I imagine pistol starting would be. The secret hunt was difficult (especially since a lot of the switches open up stuff far away), but rewarding both with the secret map itself and the area leading up to it. I ended up just keeping a mental tally of areas I could see but couldn't reach, and then checking to see if they opened up thanks to the switch. The secret area was well-done, and felt a bit like an E1M2 homage done right in that it's kinda recognizable but could also be its own thing. In general this map had almost no straight homages, which I appreciate (maybe the E2M2 crushers?)

E2M9: Hirntod

So this it what was sealed and buried only to be unearthed when the very deepest reaches of the preceding map were excavated, this nightmarish knot of crumpled shapes, distorted facilities, and Hellish intrusions into an orthodox reality so completely unable to contain, constrain, or restrain them.  Whether it's the twin skull-pillars that dominate the map's hub like the tines of some monstrous tuning fork built to resonate with and focus the profane energies that have distorted this level so, or the blood-drenched lower levels that suggest a laboratory where the experiments have run wildly out of control, or the juxtaposition of industrial and baroque in the final loop of the player's journey through the north-eastern quadrant, this map is full of memorable moments and distinctive architecture, all jostling for pride of place in the player's impressions, memories, and mental picture of the level.  I do like the fact that the player's return from the lowest section of the level brings them literally right back to the start, through the sealed door that was behind them, impassable, upon entry to the level, closing a loop that until then they didn't realise was open, and raising the question - if that's not the entrance, then how did you find your way into this wretched place, and how will you find your way out?  The answer is "with greater difficulty than in any preceding level," and there's a tremendous sense of relief in clawing your way free of the map's confines and escaping its onslaught upon your sense of reality.

E2M6: Blutfabrik

After the strange shapes and cavernous spaces of the secret level, this map is as close to "ordinary" as Nihility gets, a gloomy and frequently cramped Deimos techbase that's firmly in the Tom Hall vein of filling every square inch of its outline with rooms, corridors, and devious interconnections.  The primary structure is a maze of snaking PIPE2 passages wrapped around various reservoirs and channels of blood, attached to which are various recongisable laboratories, subverted/corrupted subzones, and quirkier environments like the medical bay, a flooded armoury - even what looks like a locker room, tucked away in a secret area in the very depths of the base.  It's an atmospheric and menacing environment overall, with gameplay that feeds enemies steadily into the meatgrinder of your guns; I was left with the impression of "swimming upstream" against a slow but irresistible current of demonic gore, with only a handful of moments designed to spike the player's blood pressure.  There's an ambush to be found in the crematoria or incinerators, another in the COMP* laboratory area, but my favourite is probably the flooded "deep basement" from which the player must scramble to escape after collecting the yellow skull key - it's a simple moment, but a tremendously effective one that serves to remind the player that the environment can be just as hostile and just as great a danger as the monsters.

I've been kind of slow on playing NIHILITY recently... I dunno why. I think the atmosphere is starting to wear off. I'm gonna try to catch up on the maps that I've missed tomorrow.

E2M5 was okay. It was a little strange to navigate, but nothing really felt impactful. Finding the secret exit was kind of umb, honestly. The one switch I missed was the one in the don't room. I had to look at the map in an editor, and I felt really dumb when I saw that there was a switch there. I also did get that bfg without setting off the trap, so haha. Other than that, this map didn't feel very interesting.

For a map that's this big and sprawling, it's remarkably intuitive to navigate, which I suspect

is due to the use of a branching structure, rather than loops. There's still a lot of visual

interconnectivity however, teasing areas we'll be able to explore later, and it's quite fun to

puzzle out.

Lighting and design remain great, but by this point a degree of fatigue is probably setting in,

and I'm yearning to see something that isn't another darkened hellbase. Still, there is some

additional variety in the monster roster, with the addition of a surprisingly nonchalant suicide

zombie who will casually stroll up to you with a pack of dynamite. And combat in general is

fairly laid back unless you get caught napping.

Edited by Urthar