Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rince-wind

Recommend me YOUR wads

Something for Ultimate Doom here: 

the rest of my stuff is available on idgames or mixed in with various projects.

13 hours ago, Deadwing said:

If you've enjoyed the rest of Ozonia, you also might like this :P

DISCLAIMER: I picked the Spicy Plutonia difficulty the first time because my hubris is bigger than GManLives' and I got pulverized in the first level so I decided to play on Doom II difficulty, it was still more difficult than Ozonia.

The spacious rooms have a comeback and the hitscanners seem to enjoy it more than I do, I've been sniped a few times in my playtrough.

I'm not saying it's bad for what it aims to be, a mapset for people who want a tough challenge, far from that.

The maps themselves have a structure similar to Ozonia, putting gameplay first and the decoration second, and I also liked how certain maps change like raising the water level.

8 minutes ago, Rince-wind said:

I'm not going to play all of those, but from what I did I can say your usage of texture is very creative, like the ship sails in HFC.

Thanks! Glad you liked my old stuff!

UAC Earth Base (first map):

Transport:

Can someone here critique Transport? It was never released here in Doomworld for some reason even when I uploaded it. I would appreciate it if someone gave me feedback on this map.

11 minutes ago, BrassKnight said:

Can someone here critique Transport? It was never released here in Doomworld for some reason even when I uploaded it. I would appreciate it if someone gave me feedback on this map.

I'll do it, just give me some time.

15 hours ago, Payload4367 said:

Here you go. Dark Encounters is standard Doom 2 style gameplay and Dark Universe is a slower paced survival wad. Hope you enjoy and thanks.

Both these wads do a great job of feeling intimidating and mysterious, Encounters with its map sizes and music and Universe with its darkness and creepy ambient music. Encounters is suited more for people who like a challenge with high monster counts while Universes difficulty is more insidious and forces the player to be more careful with his ammo management.

If there's one thing to criticize Universe is that because all the textures are new and share the same black-silver color scheme, it's easy to miss a door or switch thinking they're part of the walls or just a decoration.

2 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

DISCLAIMER: I picked the Spicy Plutonia difficulty the first time because my hubris is bigger than GManLives' and I got pulverized in the first level so I decided to play on Doom II difficulty, it was still more difficult than Ozonia.

The spacious rooms have a comeback and the hitscanners seem to enjoy it more than I do, I've been sniped a few times in my playtrough.

I'm not saying it's bad for what it aims to be, a mapset for people who want a tough challenge, far from that.

The maps themselves have a structure similar to Ozonia, putting gameplay first and the decoration second, and I also liked how certain maps change like raising the water level.

Thanks a lot for the feedback :D

Overally, people seems to find this indeed a lot difficulty, which was indeed my goal but not that much tbh >.<

It seems that the wad is in some sort of "limbo" where it is too difficulty for the overall playerbase, but then it's a completely piece of cake when compared to some actual hard stuff out there (Ribbicks stuff, for example) >.<

11 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback :D

Overally, people seems to find this indeed a lot difficulty, which was indeed my goal but not that much tbh >.<

It seems that the wad is in some sort of "limbo" where it is too difficulty for the overall playerbase, but then it's a completely piece of cake when compared to some actual hard stuff out there (Ribbicks stuff, for example) >.<

It's impossible to accommodate everyone, that's why difficulty settings exist.

It's also why instead of saying something is too hard or too easy, I just say what kind of players would like a certain wad.

1 hour ago, BrassKnight said:

Played this on UV and it's really good, the design of the level is fun and even though it uses mostly blacks and whites you made it pretty and varied.

I especially like how you made the shadows. The more memorable parts is the cramped storage room with the Cyber where you have to hide behind the crates while watching out for other monsters and the mess hall that's sinking in lava.

Now for the critiques:

When you have doors, it's a good practice to put a texture between the door and the wall to separate them as it looks more appealing.

The elevator in the Cyber room looks like a stack of boxes in the dark, maybe put a switch on it.

I noticed you put an Invisibility Sphere in the Cyber room; it's good for hitscanners, bad for everything else and disastrous for Cybers, as they have splash damage.

I don't know how to feel about the stealth monsters, on one hand it adds variety and extra challenge, on the  other it makes the R. Launcher a portable Suicide Booth.

This is more of a question, why did you use a texture of a toilet instead of an actual object, I'm pretty sure you can download it from Realm667.

In conclusion I hope you make more wads, you have skills in mapping.

heya

theresa

I was really happy with this level set and it seemed to sink pretty quickly :))

six short maps with intentional limitations to stop them sprawling forever

for this i recommend prboom+ family ports over zdoom family ports but it's up to you

map 5 on UV is frankly absurd and overly arty; everything else is balanced

17 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

Here's one for Doom 1 I literally just made! Short, sweet and hectic.

Here's an older level I made. It's longer, harder, more traditional and for Doom II.

Both of these are good simple old-school Doom fun, nothing more to add really.

P.S. is Flipping Heck getting a full episode or what?

Guest Unregistered account

Yep! I'm hoping so! Thanks for playing :D

1 minute ago, Kapanyo said:

Yep! I'm hoping so! Thanks for playing :D

I forgot to mention, I love how you implented the blue armor where it was lika a side quest you could partake in if you wanted.

I can't remember any other wad I played that does that.

2 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

Both these wads do a great job of feeling intimidating and mysterious, Encounters with its map sizes and music and Universe with its darkness and creepy ambient music. Encounters is suited more for people who like a challenge with high monster counts while Universes difficulty is more insidious and forces the player to be more careful with his ammo management.

If there's one thing to criticize Universe is that because all the textures are new and share the same black-silver color scheme, it's easy to miss a door or switch thinking they're part of the walls or just a decoration.

Thanks a bunch for playing and commenting!

17 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

Black Magnetic, for GZdooM

It's an interesting concept to make all the enemies hitscanner, and also a frustrating one.

I didn't finish the wad, I just wasn't having any fun with it. I'm pretty biased against hitscanners and brown techbases.

That being said it doesn't mean it's bad. If someone wants a more tactical and cover based wad than this is for them.

The level design itself has effort and detail put in it, like how the pipes start blowing steam when you get the rifle.

19 hours ago, MFG38 said:

You can see a list of everything I've made over on my website:

Grotesquorium is a great name for a level.

Edited by Rince-wind

19 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

I have very few stand alone releases where im the sole author and are finished, pretty much all of my other maps are scattered around other projects hehe, i can recommend eternal damnation, a vanilla set if you don't mind something classic, but if you prefer something a bit more modern, there's arctic outpost although that map is a bit outdated, but it's still fun

I don't have much to criticize about your wads, all of them (at least the ones I played) are either good or great.

All I can say keep up the good work.

Looks like you've already got a lot to play already, but I'll share! :)

My two most notable projects are Eviternity and Skulldash.

• Eviternity is a boom (well, MBF) format 32-map megawad using the newly released OTEX texturepack. Each 'chapter' or episode is 5 maps long, making it a manageable experience.
  • Skulldash is a more modern-style experience with 50 maps for GZDoom, focusing on being an arcade inspired collect-em-all, where you need to collect skulltokens to gain exit to a map before time runs out.

23 hours ago, Archanhell said:

Sadly, I'm still on the way of making MAP03, it's like 30% - 40% done in TOTAL, therefore I can't give you anything haha.
However, if you can endure the 1-Map Demo with lots of beginner mistakes then I'll give it to ya.

Also, when you find the exit, don't move at all, there's a apparent Dead End on that exit so ye.

Your map is very creative, I hope you finish the wad.

I'm guessing the frozen monsters are there to prevent door fighting, either way it's an interesting addition.

One thing I would change is the health of the dogs, set it to 40.

When the player gets out of the building you should give him a better weapon for the beefy monsters.

There are also some texture oopsies I found:

caWYnb1.png

VVxQUzP.png

12 minutes ago, Rince-wind said:

Your map is very creative, I hope you finish the wad.

I'm guessing the frozen monsters are there to prevent door fighting, either way it's an interesting addition.

One thing I would change is the health of the dogs, set it to 40.

When the player gets out of the building you should give him a better weapon for the beefy monsters.

There are also some texture oopsies I found:

caWYnb1.png

VVxQUzP.png

Haha yeah, like I said that's the "ugly" version, sorry for that :D

I'll be sure to deliver the much better version of it once I get done with MAP03 which so far is good but has complex stuff I have to really work hard in.

Regarding that third picture, I thought there was no HOM.. I'll check that again and see what I can do once I have the time.

And about Doggos, they have like 25-40 health right now, I don't know why their HP still feels like a lot, maybe I was using other Dog but Idk hehe.

And I'll see what to do for the rest like the beefy weapons :D

On 6/13/2019 at 12:30 AM, greyscale83 said:

I throw my hat into the ring and would like to show my three little/short maps. 

3. And my last map is still looking for players ^^ Give it a shot 

All three maps are pretty fun, I didn't find anything wrong with them except some minor misalignments.

The levels are kinda cramped but if that's your thing then don't let me stop you.

The architecture is very detailed and pleasant to look at.

I like the train you mad in the first map:

LAIx4WD.png

On 6/13/2019 at 2:46 AM, Eric the Sandvich said:

This was the first serious WAD I've ever made and it uh... really shows.

I didn't want to do vanilla doom, I wanted to go all out. That means this map is hilariously broken at times, since it was tested on ZDoom only. That's why the skybox is broken and scripting fails near the end if you play on GZDoom. I've also somehow managed to make scripting invisible to the map editor, so it's basically phantom code.

I'm not going to give any critiques here since it seems you're already aware of the flaws,

but I'm gonna say you don' have to be too hard on yourself, you're not the only one whos' ambition was bigger than their skill.

That's pretty much how my first wad is, I tried to make something complex and detailed, it started being too overwhelming so I half-arsed some thing, and it the ended up being a broken mess. Interestingly in both our wads the monster placement seemed to suffer the most, being just dumped on the map without much thought, and at the end having an arena where enemies teleport in.

@Rince-wind Thanks for your feedback! It made me very happy that my maps entertained you well.

And yes, I believe I like building small areas with some mean traps and dark corners ;o)

On 6/13/2019 at 3:23 AM, Boomslang said:

DOoooooooooooooooooooooot

here you go this is my first wad :)The_courrupt_Office.zip

it works with GZdoom and Doom 2 :)

It feels like something Vinesauce Joel would play in one of his Doom streams, where at the end there would be a crusty jpg of Bonzi Buddy stretched across a wall.

It's not unplayable though, the fights are easy but they don't go for too long.

If someone wants to feel nostalgic about those super early wads from the nineties, this is for them.

TDKKAVY.png

oQtr6N3.png