Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

No Traditional Multiplayer

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

Relax, everyone. @DBThanatos got you covered, when Doom Eternal gets it's Classic Doom edition, it's going to be like D4T's awesome multiplayer all over again.

Wait, who's doing what to who?

44 minutes ago, MrSkeltal said:

Also it's only on PC.

True, us die hard doom fans who only play on console need a classic Arena style experience with doom.

1 hour ago, MrInternational said:

Wait, who's doing what to who?

True, us die hard doom fans who only play on console need a classic Arena style experience with doom.

Ah, thought you knew about Death Foretold. It's a Doom 2016 but for Classic Doom, it has a deathmatch mode that is Doom 2016's DM but if it was more Arena shooter-y. Like, weapons spawn on the floor and you need to get them, there's grenades and powerups to turn into monsters, and all other sorts of cool stuff.

I recommend trying it out if you didn't like D2016's multiplayer too much and would like some more classic arena deathmatch.

That does sound awesome I might have to check that out, thanks for the heads up brother🙌. I actually enjoyed doom(2016) multiplayer, granted I didn't like some of the decisions they made, but I'm still playing it almost everyday on Xbox.

It didn't harm Wolfenstein TNO. As mentioned earlier, if you want modern/classic multiplayer FPS, play Quake Champions. Then again, I don't do multiplayer so I'm not disappointed. Nonetheless, it's a shame to see it dropped from the franchise that invented deathmatch. I guess id just knows its strengths.

I bet if enough people complain, they will develop classic deathmatch/team deathmatch a couple months after release..

I don't mind them not having traditional MP. My thinking is it would need to appeal to a broad group of players and would end up being worse than other arena fps (QL, QW, Reflex etc). I have no hopes that Doom MP will be actually good (bar Doom 2). I don't even mind either, Quake exists for all MP needs.

44 minutes ago, whirledtsar said:

Good luck finding a vanilla Doom DM server.

Jump on discord and you can usually find people down to play.

Well, I don't mind about this decision but i still feel sad! Traditional multiplayer in Doom 2016 has accompanied me for the past 3 years! I am still playing when I am free. No need to think about the strategy and just pick up the weapon and kill! 

But I am still looking forward to the invasion mode and battleground mode. Hopefully, more new modes will be revealed in DoomCon (QuakeCon) in August! Hugo said that only traditional deathmatch would not be included in Doom eternal, maybe more new modes will be added inside the great game. let's see 

16 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Odamex_logo.png ZDaemon_109_Logo.pngZandronum_logo.png 120px-Chocolate_Doom_Icon.png

Maybe he wants a NEW Doom game with DM. ;)

They didn't need to cut DM entirely, they just needed to handle it properly this time.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Quake Champions continues to disappoint. 

I wish I could say how it is now, but sadly, it seems any servers that would allow me to access from where I am these days are out. I too wasn't particularly drawn in by what I did play earlier in the year. Sadly though, as I said; the way things are, QC is the CS: Source to Doom 2016. Until and unless Bethesda Publishing cancels it (which would be sad, and I most certainly do not wish for that), I have a hard time seeing them allowing Doom to emulate and surpass it. 

End of the day; this is very unlikely to be the iD devs being 'mean, lazy or not listening'. This is almost certainly a business decision from on high, and again, one that isn't unreasonable when put in perspective. Even if it is sad that we won't get some good 'ol Deathmatch in Hell. 

Cheap shit. I can repeat it again. Sorry for my bad english, I will try to defence my point of view.

1.Quake Champions is already dead. I tried to play it today and only I can see is growing time of next match searching. Bethesda shown absolutely nothing at E3. What do you wanna know about this game more? QC is dead. Look at statistics:

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=quake+champions 

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=doom

People still playing Doom '16(Bethesda killed support of Doom '16 for QC more than 2 years ago!) but nobody wanna play Quake Champions.

2.You can made Battle Mode in SnapMap for one day, isn't you?! It's joke. Simply joke. They trying to save their face with this "special multiplayer component". Bullshit! It's more looks like Doom Eternal isn't AAA, like an Fallout 76 or Rage 2, but they will try to sell this game as real AAA title. Where I'm wrong?

3.OK, Doom Eternal has another multiplayer modes bla-bla-bla. Where's all of them? They told "we will show you more about Battle Mode at QuakeCon". I don't care about Battle Mode, c'mon! Where's real things?! No multiplayer?! OK, give us co-op. But where's no co-op too! Nothing! Just singleplayer campaign!

Enough?

Edited by qdash

4 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Interesting, Doom 3 has more current players than Doom 2 (maybe that's just Steam)

Well people don't know how to launch Doom 2 through Steam.

On 6/13/2019 at 6:56 AM, TheRedTide said:

We saw this coming from one entire AU away, given the reception DOOM's multiplayer had.

The difference is that DOOM '16's multiplayer wasn't developed in-house, but rather, it was outsourced to Certain Affinity. If anything, I think id learned their lesson from that and decided to develop Eternal's multiplayer component in-house.

In any case, I'm personally not fussed about the news. Doom has always been first and foremost about a solid single-player experience anyway.

3 hours ago, Avoozl said:

They didn't need to cut DM entirely, they just needed to handle it properly this time.

That's what every doom fan thought they were gonna do, but no lol. Hopefully they bring it back due to fan demand.

I find it hard to believe that id Software is going to explain to the crowd at QuakeCon next month that Doom Eternal isn't going to have any traditional multiplayer modes of the sort often played at QuakeCon.

I just want coop.  Not campaign coop, but Multiplayer coop. 

Team up with fellow friends and players and kill hordes of demons within the multiplayer maps.  You could even have other players invade a create counter cooperative.  So many possibilities.

Believe it or not, MP was the sole reason a couple of my friends were gonna buy the game, battle mode sounds interesting, but i don't think they'll be interested into that sort of MP, one of them just straight told me he wasn't gonna buy it if that was the case hehe. As for the mode itself, it sounds a bit gimmicky tbh, kinda like the stuff you play once, have fun, then forget about it, i don't know if it's gonna have a long lifespan and keep players engaged playing it. I do sincerely hope there's some sort of coop mode, even if they ditch traditional PvP modes, Coop is one of the most fun game modes of classic doom that has been missing since Doom 2 (damn, didn't realized that coop wasn't a thing in doom for a long time), maybe there's other multiplayer modes that are yet to be revealed on quakecon?

I do wonder what's the reception gonna be on quakecon, It kinda reminds me of blizzcon where they had to reveal mobile game to the wrong crowd. Who knows it will be interesting to see considering how soon quakecon is

41 minutes ago, DMPhobos said:

Believe it or not, MP was the sole reason a couple of my friends were gonna buy the game, battle mode sounds interesting, but i don't think they'll be interested into that sort of MP, one of them just straight told me he wasn't gonna buy it if that was the case hehe. As for the mode itself, it sounds a bit gimmicky tbh, kinda like the stuff you play once, have fun, then forget about it, i don't know if it's gonna have a long lifespan and keep players engaged playing it. I do sincerely hope there's some sort of coop mode, even if they ditch traditional PvP modes, Coop is one of the most fun game modes of classic doom that has been missing since Doom 2 (damn, didn't realized that coop wasn't a thing in doom for a long time), maybe there's other multiplayer modes that are yet to be revealed on quakecon?

I do wonder what's the reception gonna be on quakecon, It kinda reminds me of blizzcon where they had to reveal mobile game to the wrong crowd. Who knows it will be interesting to see considering how soon quakecon is

I wouldn't compare it to what happened at Blizzcon. Battle Mode is a multiplayer mode involving the Slayer and demons, both of which are from the single player game, and have a precedent in the previous title (demons were playable). Gimmicky, maybe, but not out of left field.

Diablo Immortal was the wrong platform, addressed the wrong issues, targeted the wrong crowd, and was the climax of what was advertised to be a big huge deal for people that were clearly looking for something completely different. 

I do agree about the general worry about the mode though. Like  I've said before, FEAR 3 had a similar problem, with it's fun and unique multiplayer modes that were simply not good replacements for the staples. 

Again, Quake Champions is more than likely the biggest culprit, and I figure it's yours and your friends best chance at the next best DM scene in the absence of it in Eternal. 

2 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

Believe it or not, MP was the sole reason a couple of my friends were gonna buy the game, battle mode sounds interesting, but i don't think they'll be interested into that sort of MP, one of them just straight told me he wasn't gonna buy it if that was the case hehe.

My situation. I'm not interested in this purchase now and I already canceled my pre-order before any news about some real PVP or good co-op. I don't wanna fool myself after Fallout 76 and Rage 2. I don't wanna buy Doom Eternal by full price, after this f*ck up, it's not AAA title, atleast and I wish for more than 8 hours of gameplay. Singleplayer is good thing but not enough at all... especially in games like Doom or Quake.

1 hour ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Quake Champions is more than likely the biggest culprit

QC? It's completely different game. Doom never was ultra skilled cybersport FPS game, it's more like arcade. Skilled based? Yes, but not so difficult as Quake games. It's all about money. They fooling people with cheap Battle Mode like it's something important, some interesting multiplayer component, but it looks very funny and sad.

Edited by qdash

1 minute ago, qdash said:

QC? It's completely different game. Doom never was ultra skilled cybersport FPS game, it's more like arcade. Skilled based? Yes, but not so difficult as Quake games.

Not as difficult maybe, but the game play is ultimately similar enough that it would be in competition. Quake is also plenty arcade like, particularly when compared to titles like CS, COD or Rainbow Six. (NOTE TO ANYONE ABOUT TO JUMP ON ME: NO, I am not saying any of those are better or "realistic", I am noting "in comparison to Quake" ).

It can actually be argued that Doom wasn't a 'cybersport game' because:

A) At the time, the game itself wasn't nearly as complex as we expect e-sports titles to be today (talking about the original here)
B) E-sports was barely even a whisper in the wind at the time. 
C) Doom 2016's multiplayer was... well, it wasn't much more than a  bare bones "it exists" thing, compared to other titles. Personally, I Had fun, but it's not the kind of thing I return to much. 

I'd argue that the original Quake up to Quake 3 was 'difficult' next to Doom simply because of the wider movement/ look ranges. You had more to juggle, simple as that. Modern Doom and Quake are, mechanically, not that far removed from each other. 

3 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

Oh my gosh mine too XD! I told the guys that it wouldn't have traditional MP but battle-mode instead and they told me to "shut the f@#$ up, you lying little s%^&" XD. But then i told them about the multiple articles stating this and they were not very happy lol. Unfortunately for them there only interested in MP in Doom (which is very weird, but whatever), and there on the fence about buying it. Like me there waiting for QC for more details. There not even giving Battlemode a chance which is kinda sad since it does look cool. Believe it or not there are quite a few out there who genuinely enjoyed MP a lot more then the campaign.

13 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

I'd argue that the original Quake up to Quake 3 was 'difficult' next to Doom simply because of the wider movement/ look ranges. You had more to juggle, simple as that. Modern Doom and Quake are, mechanically, not that far removed from each other. 

Quake Champions has more difficult and complex gameplay than any other shooter on the market, than CoD, Halo and, of course, Doom '16. All games looks and plays 93, when every new FPS was named as Doom clone. ) It's hard to made something really new, but sci-fi MP niche is almost empty now.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:09 AM, qdash said:

Cheap shit. I can repeat it again. Sorry for my bad english, I will try to defence my point of view.

1.Quake Champions is already dead. I tried to play it today and only I can see is growing time of next match searching. Bethesda shown absolutely nothing at E3. What do you wanna know about this game more? QC is dead. Look at statistics:

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=quake+champions 

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=doom

People still playing Doom '16(Bethesda killed support of Doom '16 for QC more than 2 years ago!) but nobody wanna play Quake Champions.

2.You can made Battle Mode in SnapMap for one day, isn't you?! It's joke. Simply joke. They trying to save their face with this "special multiplayer component". Bullshit! It's more looks like Doom Eternal isn't AAA, like an Fallout 76 or Rage 2, but they will try to sell this game as real AAA title. Where I'm wrong?

3.OK, Doom Eternal has another multiplayer modes bla-bla-bla. Where's all of them? They told "we will show you more about Battle Mode at QuakeCon". I don't care about Battle Mode, c'mon! Where's real things?! No multiplayer?! OK, give us co-op. But where's no co-op too! Nothing! Just singleplayer campaign!

Enough?

21 hours ago, qdash said:

QC? It's completely different game. Doom never was ultra skilled cybersport FPS game, it's more like arcade. Skilled based? Yes, but not so difficult as Quake games. It's all about money. They fooling people with cheap Battle Mode like it's something important, some interesting multiplayer component, but it looks very funny and sad.

You still haven't explained to us how the removal of "traditional" multiplayer is "all about the money". How are they "fooling" people with this new mode? How are they making more profits from the game by not having multiplayer, when multiplayer games are far more profitable these days?

They presenting this mode as something special, as real multiplayer. It's difficult to sell FPS game without multiplayer and Bethesda know it. Looks like id made this Battle Mode for one day or week, no more. It's my opinion.

No SnapMap

No co-op

No competitive multiplayer

But they trying to sell this game by full price like it's real AAA title.

56 minutes ago, qdash said:

They presenting this mode as something special, as real multiplayer. It's difficult to sell FPS game without multiplayer and Bethesda know it. Looks like id made this Battle Mode for one day or week, no more. It's my opinion.

No SnapMap

No co-op

So how about AAA games that have no multiplayer whatsoever?

2 hours ago, qdash said:

No SnapMap

No co-op

It is a real AAA title. Moreso than Fallout 76 anyhow.