Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rince-wind

Recommend me YOUR wads

18 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Looks like you've already got a lot to play already, but I'll share! :)

My two most notable projects are Eviternity and Skulldash.

• Eviternity is a boom (well, MBF) format 32-map megawad using the newly released OTEX texturepack. Each 'chapter' or episode is 5 maps long, making it a manageable experience.
  • Skulldash is a more modern-style experience with 50 maps for GZDoom, focusing on being an arcade inspired collect-em-all, where you need to collect skulltokens to gain exit to a map before time runs out.

I think everyone on this site knows and has played these two wads, got anything more obscure?

My two latest wads.

Nothing really espectacular, just classic style vanilla wads with stock resources. Right now I'm turning them into "limit removing" (making them more complex) and making custom music for an episode.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, joepallai said:

Something for Ultimate Doom here: 

the rest of my stuff is available on idgames or mixed in with various projects.

Christ buddy you make Hell Beneath look like Entryway.

I rarely find this kind of difficulty where it's less about lots of strong monsters and more about starving the player of resources and death by a tousand cuts enemies, and you nailed that part.

This might just be me being bad at navigating Doom levels but I found it very difficult to navigate the map and find where to go what with all the switches, unless that was your intention, in whitch case you succeeded.

By the way, if this is intended to be the first level, what will the others be like?

1 hour ago, Rince-wind said:

Christ buddy you make Hell Beneath look like Entryway.

I rarely find this kind of difficulty where it's less about lots of strong monsters and more about starving the player of resources and death by a tousand cuts enemies, and you nailed that part.

This might just be me being bad at navigating Doom levels but I found it very difficult to navigate the map and find where to go what with all the switches, unless that was your intention, in whitch case you succeeded.

By the way, if this is intended to be the first level, what will the others be like?

Thank you for playing my map Rince-wind and your comments.  I will try to incorporate the navigation critique into the next maps that I start for this project (2 are already in progress and are too far along to really change, but the other 6 I will need to work on that aspect as it's a frequent complaint).

As a player I want to feel like I'm exploring a place, so my maps for this project are going to be generally large to massive GSTONE fortresses with possibly a large cave complex for E4M9.   Combat styles might vary a little bit from this map, but it's too early to say but with Doom1's roster I lean towards a death by 1000 cuts type action.  I will try to mix it up at least in parts.   

26 minutes ago, joepallai said:

Thank you for playing my map Rince-wind and your comments.  I will try to incorporate the navigation critique into the next maps that I start for this project (2 are already in progress and are too far along to really change, but the other 6 I will need to work on that aspect as it's a frequent complaint).

As a player I want to feel like I'm exploring a place, so my maps for this project are going to be generally large to massive GSTONE fortresses with possibly a large cave complex for E4M9.   Combat styles might vary a little bit from this map, but it's too early to say but with Doom1's roster I lean towards a death by 1000 cuts type action.  I will try to mix it up at least in parts.   

The large and sprawling size isn't a problem, it's the addition of switches that open random doors that make it frustrating, maybe a greater emphasis on keys rather than switches would make it easier. But I don't think your map only has flaws, the level has nice setpieces and a creepy and alien atmosphere. I especially like the crumbling floor near the big crushers. The difficulty is perfect for a TFC themed episode, don't feel like you have to make it more accessible, that's what difficulty settings are for.

4 hours ago, UNERXAi said:

My two latest wads.

Nothing really espectacular, just classic style vanilla wads with stock resources. Right now I'm turning them into "limit removing" (making them more complex) and making custom music for an episode.

I played UNX02  before and now I tried UNX03, and I can safely say that you make some really fun vanilla maps.

The architecture is super simplistic but you still make it look appealing.

Speaking of level design, I think these pools of water with green stains would be a good recurring motif for your levels.

lMWVBwR.png

Holy crap, you really appear to be plowing through these. Well, in that case, I'll throw a wad at at you:

I'll just say quality is inconsistent. I think the best are 3, 6, 21, and 25. Play any or all (or none).

11 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

It feels like something Vinesauce Joel would play in one of his Doom streams, where at the end there would be a crusty jpg of Bonzi Buddy stretched across a wall.

It's not unplayable though, the fights are easy but they don't go for too long.

If someone wants to feel nostalgic about those super early wads from the nineties, this is for them.

TDKKAVY.png

oQtr6N3.png

I actually watched joel's doom builder stream while making this lol

12 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Holy crap, you really appear to be plowing through these. Well, in that case, I'll throw a wad at at you:

I'll just say quality is inconsistent. I think the best are 3, 6, 21, and 25. Play any or all (or none).

Your usage of vanilla texture is very smart and creative, and the recolors add interesting contrast without them being an eyesore, like the white rocks in Dormant Vagary.

Speaking of Dormant Vagary, I think this is the level that informs the player they should maybe choose an easier difficulty for the rest of the wad.

Full disclosure, I didn't play all the levels because honestly I just got bored.

I agree with DutchDevil that you should cut down the level count, not just because a 30 level megawad would probably frustrating if it was being made by just one person, but also because the style of structure, architecture, combat and traps of the levels all become predictable unless the person specificaly tries to do something completely out of their comfort zone. Especially if the maps have a high monster count, makes them a slough to play trough (granted NTR does drastically lower the count but then it becomes too easy).

That's how I felt playing this, the first three levels were excellent and I was having a blast, but gradually I was losing enthusiasm.

17 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

I played UNX02  before and now I tried UNX03, and I can safely say that you make some really fun vanilla maps.

The architecture is super simplistic but you still make it look appealing.

Speaking of level design, I think these pools of water with green stains would be a good recurring motif for your levels.

lMWVBwR.png

Thanks man. I'm glad you enjoyed them.

The water with the green stuff is something I started doing in 2016 with UNX01. Most people who've played my maps have crticized it but I just love the way it looks and will continue using it.

1 hour ago, UNERXAi said:

The water with the green stuff is something I started doing in 2016 with UNX01. Most people who've played my maps have crticized it but I just love the way it looks and will continue using it.

I think it adds a recognizable trait to your wads, gives a personal detail.

By the way, do you have a link for UNX01, I wanna try it.

23 minutes ago, Rince-wind said:

I think it adds a recognizable trait to your wads, gives a personal detail.

By the way, do you have a link for UNX01, I wanna try it.

7 minutes ago, Rince-wind said:

Thank god you stopped making the water hurt the player.

Agreed. That wasn't the best decision.

4 minutes ago, Rince-wind said:

I'm running out of wads, I need more!

Look up first page, there's plenty of things shared here and you didn't notice. 

16 minutes ago, Misty said:

Look up first page, there's plenty of things shared here and you didn't notice. 

I did notice them, just didn't respond to them.

33 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

1st wad: No

2nd wad: This is more manageable (played on NTR), I liked the first part with the Cyber elevator the most, it was fun jumping out of the way of rockets and fireballs.

There's also a texture with the hall of mirrors effect but honestly who cares, doesn't ruin this decent level.

10 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

That's how I felt playing this, the first three levels were excellent and I was having a blast, but gradually I was losing enthusiasm.

Glad you had some fun with some of them. The teen slots especially need some work, I know; this thing will be a work in progress for a long time. 

Here's couple maps you can try:

My birthday map to antares031, must be played in PrBoom+ -complevel 11:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/antaxyz

My second Wolfenstein-themed map released to /idgames:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/wolf3d/zzwolfss

Aaannnd this is when I realize I don't have many single maps that are (1) for Doom and (2) aren't already in other projects/mapsets, so here's my two Confinement 256 megawads (first one is for GZDoom, the second one for PrBoom+). There's too many dang maps to count here but many of them are sure to impress and challenge you one way or another!

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/conf256

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/conf256b

2 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

Always curious to hear what people think of this:

Played a few levels of this and it's pretty interesting, I'll give you a review tomorrow.

Would you like me to review the wad as a whole or give short thoughts on each level?

P.S. How's Akeldama doing?