Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Time for a new mouse, suggestions?

Well, this mouse truly fails it. I have to pound on the left button to get my current weapon to fire in Doom, and by the time it does fire, I'm down to 18% health, and 0% armor. But that's not the only thing. Trying to get this monstrosity to click on anything is also a real chore, because the left mouse button does not want to work unless you beat it senseless. Same goes for the right mouse button.
Instead of a mouse wheel, it has a mouse button. You hold the button down, then move your mouse in the desired direction, and it's supposed to work. Supposed.
I hold the mouse button down to scroll down while reading a particular thread, and suddenly the scrolling stops. I try again, and the button doesn't respond. Needless to say, this is profanity-inducing.
And yes, I have kept it clean (or have tried to) and yes, it's a crappily built mouse.
Anybody have any suggestions for a new one?

Heh, I 'kill' two or three mouses a year. Since I use DooM ports with jumping involved, I have a mouse with two regular buttons and a wheel. left = fire, right = open, middle = jump; middle-dn/up: prev/nxt weapon.

When I get a new mouse, it has to have two buttons and a wheel.

--ADDED

With 'middle', I of course mean PUSH the mousewheel
With 'middle-dn/up', I mean turn the weel up or down :P

scorpion said:

When I get a new mouse, it has to have two buttons and a wheel.

Heh, any particular sort? :)

UPDATE: This mouse still sucks.

It seems that the MS Intellimouse Optical is a good choice, are there any others like it or better than it?

I tried an optical mouse once. It worked great, but when I tried to use it to play Doom, I found that sudden movements tend to foul up the optical response just a bit. I'd try to rotate around real fast to face something behind me, and instead of turning around, the player just shakes around a bit. It was too annoying, so I went back to the old mouse, which is the typical Microsoft mouse with two buttons and a mouse wheel that can also be pressed down like a button (I use that to move backwards in games like Quake).

Also, highlighting stuff for copying and pasting is also extremely hard to do with this mouse. [/rant]

Hmm, what do I have...
/me checks

My Logitech Optical mouse hath served me well. Got it for $50 (AUS). And there is no way I would ever consider going back to a ball mouse now. also the mouse Wheel is the FPS players tool of choice.

I've used both optical and ball mouses extensively, and I conclude that there is NO advantage to an optical mouse other than not having to clean it. Optical mouses don't seem to work on moderately shiny surfaces, and they have this constant stupid annoying red light that serves no purpose except to make the bonehead mass population giddy with glee. Plus, they still have little feet pads, so there is NO noticible difference in smoothness.

Don't fall for useless garbage that you don't need. Get a freaking 3-button Logitech wheel mouse, WITH a cord, WITH a ball. If you think anything more is going to serve you better then you're delirously wrong.

AndrewB said:
Don't fall for useless garbage that you don't need. Get a freaking 3-button Logitech wheel mouse, WITH a cord, WITH a ball. If you think anything more is going to serve you better then you're delirously wrong.

Well, maybe I'm strange, but I DID feel an improvement when I started using an optical mouse. it DOSE feel smoother, more responsive. And who has a shiny desk anyway? I also find not having to clean it a BIG plus. Besides, it didn't cost me any extra.

A mouse requires cleaning maybe once every 3 months, and it takes 2 minutes.

Don't be a fool. Don't spend $80 on a mouse. (Generic advice)

scorpion said:

Heh, I 'kill' two or three mouses a year. Since I use DooM ports with jumping involved, I have a mouse with two regular buttons and a wheel. left = fire, right = open, middle = jump; middle-dn/up: prev/nxt weapon.

I don't think I have ever broken a mouse. Even when I use it for modern 3d games. I do recommend an MS Intellimouse Optical with a wheel, though. I can't get enough of mine.

Heh, I always bound the buttons like this: left=forward, right=backwards, wheel=prev/next weapon.

AndrewB, my optical mouse cost me $30, no more, and has worked almost flawlessly for over a year. Yes, it does occasionally skip, but ball mice are far worse, regardless of whether you clean them every 3 months or not.

Um, let's not have a flamewar over mice. You're a trackballer, w00t, goodie yay. If you prefer optical mouse, then woopty-friggin'-doo for you then.
I think, if I can find one that is, that I will go buy me an optical mouse, since the general consensus is that optical mice are better than trackball mice.

Far worse? Nope, no way are they far worse. It's all in the imagination.

Maybe you've had some magical überluck that I haven't had then.

DooMBoy said:

Um, let's not have a flamewar over mice. You're a trackballer, w00t, goodie yay. If you prefer optical mouse, then woopty-friggin'-doo for you then.
I think, if I can find one that is, that I will go buy me an optical mouse, since the general consensus is that optical mice are better than trackball mice.

Weren't you the one asking for advice? Beggars can't be, well, you know the rest.

True, but you were like the only one who said trackball mice were better. Everyone else seems to prefer the optical mouse.
Therefore, I think I'll get an optical mouse.
Optical > Trackball

First of all, trackballs are upside-down mice with inverted direction that you move with your thumb. I believe that regular mice (or mouses) are referred to as just a "ball mouse."

Anyway, I didn't say they were better, what I'm saying is that optical mice are not as much better as they are more expensive. They may be better, they may be preferable, but it's not like a whole new world of sleekness and smoothness. They still drag across the pad. Maybe it depends on the mouse, but I've never seen an optical mouse that glides with sleek ball bearings or takes advantage of the ball-free-edness. If they still have feet and still drag, they're not going to be that much smoother.

Logitech optical wheel mouse. Can't go wrong with it. Wheel up for next weapon, wheel down for previous weapon. Click wheel to reload.

Alientank said:

Logitech optical wheel mouse. Can't go wrong with it. Wheel up for next weapon, wheel down for previous weapon. Click wheel to reload.

Best. Mouse. Ever. It's what I'm using, no problems too. :)

Depending on the optical mouse, I've noticed that sudden movements do confuse the sensor, making the cursor just shake rapidly as opposed to moving quickly. I would hope that this fault has been overcome by now. Another thing I've noticed with my experience is the fact that optical mice have to be lifted up farther when repositioning as to not move the cursor, compared to ball mice.

I myself use a Logitech MouseMan. It's as old as the hills but has served me well many years. It's the kind that has three real actual buttons on the top of it. I find that cleaning it every couple of months is all I need to keep it moving smoothly. If this one crapped out on me I'd definitely look for another one just like it.