Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Eternal takes place in id multiverse?

You know... This is kind of a remake of doom 2, so we might get a wolfenstein secret or dlc level.

20 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

If u guys accept that B.J is Keen's grandfather(or father) and Keen is doomguy's father. Then would u also accept this:

Would You?

If you also accept it, do you accept that John Romero's head is on a stick as the Icon of Sin... but John Romero is dead when he's on a stick, but when does John Romero travel to the future or between universes to get there? Will there be a game about that?

5 hours ago, geo said:

If you also accept it

I don't accept it. Neither do I accept that B.J is Keen's grandfather or Keen is doomguy's father. They were just done as jokes of sorts that are not to be taken seriously. But people take them too seriously.

Regarding Romero's head. That too is just a joke(and one that can only be see by using IDCLEV and going past the IoS wall).

The idverse in concept is one thing but i don't really wanna see stuff like Skyrim or Fallout getting "connected", since it's already "out of bounds".

The one fantasy themed franchise that would work being related to Doom is Heretic/Hexen.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

I don't accept it. Neither do I accept that B.J is Keen's grandfather or Keen is doomguy's father. They were just done as jokes of sorts that are not to be taken seriously. But people take them too seriously.

Regarding Romero's head. That too is just a joke(and one that can only be see by using IDCLEV and going past the IoS wall).

Wasn't the lineage more or less canonized in the Wolf and Doom RPG series? I mean, I know that those are off-shoots and all, but the point still stands that iD was really only half-joking about this stuff. 

Again though; it ultimately doesn't matter much more than for background flavor, if you're looking for it. Suffice to say that Doom never lost its tone in favor of conforming to Wolf or Keen, nor the other way(s) around, so it's ultimately a moot point. 

@whatup876  I've always wondered about a Hexen/ Heretic to Doom connection. To the point where I thought a reference to the The Serpent and Corax Tablets in Doom 2016 might be some kind of a hint. 

Here's a crazy idea...

...what if the Doom Slayer is a some eldritch mystical fusion of Corvus and the Doom Marine? That might sound a bit weird at first but think about it, it explains why Argent D'Nur is such a weird fantasy-scifi place with knights and all. Also, Corvus and the Doom Marine already have the same general colour. Green.

2 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Wasn't the lineage more or less canonized in the Wolf and Doom RPG series? I mean, I know that those are off-shoots and all, but the point still stands that iD was really only half-joking about this stuff. 

Again though; it ultimately doesn't matter much more than for background flavor, if you're looking for it. Suffice to say that Doom never lost its tone in favor of conforming to Wolf or Keen, nor the other way(s) around, so it's ultimately a moot point. 

@whatup876  I've always wondered about a Hexen/ Heretic to Doom connection. To the point where I thought a reference to the The Serpent and Corax Tablets in Doom 2016 might be some kind of a hint. 

Not just canonized, but Doom 2 the secret levels you go back in time to murder your own father, because Doomguy is John Romero and John Romero is icon of sin. If Doomguy and Icon of Sin are the same person only stopping them both before they start can save Earth. Cannon.

11 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Wasn't the lineage more or less canonized in the Wolf and Doom RPG series? 

I don't think so. They are mobile games with side-stories, I can't see how they could be canon. 
In the main series Doomguy doesn't have a name and isn't associated with Blaze or BJ.

Edited by Noiser

5 hours ago, Noiser said:

I don't think so. They are mobile games with side-stories, I can't see how they could be canon. 
In the main series Doomguy doesn't have a name and isn't associated with Blaze or BJ.

YES. Finally someone other than me who doesn't associate Doomguy with BJ or Keen. Multiverse concept should be thrown in a trashcan where it belongs.

I always considered  Quake 3 Arena, Live and Champions out of cannon. So the Slayers appearance is no problem for me. Slipgate was always a generic term for me, Doom had teleportation too.

This quite a few presumable (though never confirmed) Heretic references in Doom 2016.

The hooded figure that appears above the ancient mural of Doom Slayer and sentinels fighting demons at the castle gates could possibly be Corvus. (Though now we see that hooded figure in the circled eternal box art above )

There are Corrax tablets, and of course there's the Serpent Rider named Korax.

The promo art and posters show what appear to be (3) demonic priests, and of course the Serpent Riders were a trio of demonic brothers who harnessed the forces of Hell to conquer the universe (Korax, D'Sparil, Eidolon)

There's also the nomenclature similarities between D'sparil and D'nur.

In Heretic, you battle one of the serpent riders in a map called Necropolis. Similarly, one of the corrupted hell maps of Doom 2016 is also named Necropolis.

Many are pointing out simularities to demons in Eternal that have been briefly revealed to bare striking resemblances to some from Heretic.

Likewise, Corvus was also seen battling the big boss of Return To Castle Wolfenstein, in the intro cut scene... Staff and all. This clearly indicates he is able to cross world's and may still exist.

There was an article someone wrote up some time back how the crucible and even the soul cube could be relics from the Heretic era.

It's entirely possibly that Heretic may serve as a prequel to Doom with it's lore taking place centuries or eons prior. Or even like a "Army of Darkness" type story where Slayer ends up in that era either by mistake or intentionally and fights alongside them. I'm not saying it is, and due to the legalities of id software not actually owning the Heretic IP, I don't know how'd that work. Maybe just spiritual nods to those characters under simular pseudo names. I had asked at QuakeCon if there was any chance we'd see a new Heretic and was told they would love too, but they don't have the rights to it. Maybe something has changed in that regard over the past few years. But there's just too many coincidences to write it off.

Edited by Buckshot

I am fine with there being a Id ethos, but dont try to force it into the same timeline and universe.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:49 PM, Buckshot said:

Ok, I was all on board for multiverse until this observation.

Why did you do this.

WHY. 

There's a portrait of BJ on the wall in the beginning of the trailer too.

3 hours ago, Crackers0106 said:

There's a portrait of BJ on the wall in the beginning of the trailer too.

Can you post a picture? 

On 6/15/2019 at 6:22 AM, Buckshot said:

Likewise, Corvus was also seen battling the big boss of Return To Castle Wolfenstein, in the intro cut scene... Staff and all. This clearly indicates he is able to cross world's and may still exist.

Are you sure that was Corvus? It seemed like a germanic mage more than Corvus.

7 hours ago, Duke of Pathoris said:

Are you sure that was Corvus? It seemed like a germanic mage more than Corvus.

I mean that staff, those powers, really seemed pretty convincing. Not to mention he also makes the same pain sound as Corvus does in heretic

Edited by Buckshot

Though it appears he is named "Simon the Wanderer", with a questionable backstory about how he came to track down Heinreich... not sure if it's a fan made background as I don't remember any official or canon in-game lore ever giving him any name or history.

But even the author of the wiki article seems to note the remarkable resemblance to Corvus, specifically the staff. And may some how be a relative of BJ generations prior.

https://wolfenstein.fandom.com/wiki/Simon_the_Wanderer

On 6/11/2019 at 8:08 AM, deepthaw said:

If there is an id multiverse, I just hope it means we get a real successor to Quake 1, strange purple castles and lovecraftian crap and all. 

Boy, do I yearn for a Quake 1 remaster/remake

I take it all back

13 hours ago, DELUXE said:

An Anon on 4chan posted this close-up picture of the Shambler's behind from Quake, and another Anon responded by posting the Cyberdemon's behind as a comparison. Noting that they looked nice, plump, and similar, a third Anon made the joke that it was a "reused ASSet." I decided to look deeper. I resized and flipped CYBRD5, slapped it next to the Shambler, and lo and behold.

booty.jpg

2 hours ago, holaareola said:

I take it all back

What about Cyberdemons vajayjay? Has it ever been discussed?

doom_ii_box_art__high_resolution__by_llortor_d6bpuj4-pre~2.png

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

@Maes Who has the better assets?

Why, the original of course. After all, it's just a reused ASSet (just a recolored texture, I guess?). So Shamblers are just Cyberdemons that went full dirty bulking?

goes to play Quake I, muttering "how could I've missed that?"

On 6/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, ReaperAA said:

I for one am not happy with the idea of merging id universes. I already hate it when people say that Wolfenstein, Keen and Doom are the same universes. I am okay with small subtle references here and there, but nothing more than that.

Uh, wow, then you must *really* hate the actual developers then :P

Word of God trope in full effect here -- now, where did I put that canon cannon gif...