Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

star trek movie(s)

no, i am not a star tek fan. though i think it is alright, i just never got into it. i didnt know they were showing a movie until today. anyway i think it looks interesting. the last one i saw i didnt like, i like the one with the borg. just wanted to know what u guys think about the movies and the series. i used to watch it when i watched late night TV.

i tell u there was an episode that really creeped the hell out of me. it was one involving aliens that took the crew at night. they would do stuff like cut off arms and reattatch them. they made a loud clicking noise. the table was also very creepy, had a robotic arm with 2 sharp wicked blades. after i saw that i didn't watch the show for like 6 months, hey i was like a kid plus alien stuff tends to really creep me out for some reason.

It looks unrealistic. The space scenes look like they're computer-generated, not live-action models.

And live action models are supposed to be a 100% realistic depiction of something that will never exist in real life?

Star Trek movies are kinda hit and miss. Some are good, some make you want to kill the script writers.

The live-action models do create a sufficient illusion of a big space ship. Computer-generated scenes usually lack the blurriness, graniness, subtle jerkiness, and realistic imperfections of live-action film. Somehow, it's impossible to be excited when I know that I'm watching a computer-generated object blowing up.

It's like this: I'm sorry, but if you can't be heinied to create movie explosions that are totally convincing and look like real-life models blowing up, then I don't care what happens to your little computer-generated men who happen to be in the explosion.

If I can't respect and admire the characters and plot of a movie, then I cannot care about what happens to them, and hence I cannot enjoy the movie.

I've always been some sort of Star Trek fan. Please note that I didn't use the phrase 'Trekkie', since I believe owning just one poster (with Scott Bakula & friends), never have attended a geek convention :-P and not dreaming day & night about it makes me little more than a regular fan. And of course the fact that I have trouble keeping my attention when watching an episode of The Original Series (am a Picard man :P). I'm kinda good at Stratrek trivia, though :P and have no problems with the in-space cutscenes. The original series used real models, which look more real, but the other Startrek series (and series like Babylon 5 for example) use computer generated cutscenes, which look more in-space.

Of course, since the original Strartrek series only ran for 3 years, they tried entertaining the public with motion pictures, which in some cases were just 'episode-quality', only longer. It's been a while since I last saw a movie with Captain Kirk (except for Generations, which I think was moderately fun, but not awesome). I'd have to say I liked the movie Startrek: First Contact best and I thought the one about the planet where you don't age (can't remember the title right now, or wait, it's 'Insurrection'). I've seen better episodes in the series!

Nowadays I download the fifth and latest Startrek series, 'Enterprise', which are only sold and not aired in Holland. I rather like them, also because it's a prequal: it takes place about 100 years before Kirk commanded the Enterprise (2152 AD).

AndrewB said:

It's like this: I'm sorry, but if you can't be heinied to create movie explosions that are totally convincing and look like real-life models blowing up, then I don't care what happens to your little computer-generated men who happen to be in the explosion.

If I can't respect and admire the characters and plot of a movie, then I cannot care about what happens to them, and hence I cannot enjoy the movie.

Geez, with that attitude it's gonna be tough for film makers to make a good movie that appeals to you as well as the rest of the target audience.

Pretty much like fredrik. He apparently watched LotR: TTT just anticipating the visuals and got disappointed by the battle at Helm's keep and Gollum. Why don't you people just WATCH the movie instead of being nitpicky about tiny flaws in the visuals?

At least filmmakers aren't using plastic models with go-motion technique like they did before computer animation was invented.

*shakes head*

You can't please andrewB, when you gonna learn that? :P

Btw, I'm quite lookin forward to the new star trek movie, it actually looks like the original series cast ones and first contact won't be the only good trek movies :D

...sends AndrewB copies of The Devil Bat, The Prince of Space, The Brain From Planet Arus, and Plan 9 From Outer Space... No computer generated effects here.

One day, when man journeys beyond the stars, he'll discover that aliens really do look like buckets with rubber gloves on top pulled along by a bit of string. THEN, Doctor Who's detractors will be laughing on the other side of their faces...

I liked the original series. I'm not a Star Trek fan, but I liked them. I don't like any of the newer series, though. For me, Kirk was the coolest.

I also liked the movies with Kirk in them. Especially #4, when they go back in time to California in the 1980's.

Hey, anyone remember the old PC game that had the original cast in it? It was similar to Day of The Tenticle or Full Throttle.

MaCvILeWhOrE said:

You can't please andrewB, when you gonna learn that? :P

Oh I've learned that ages ago, but it's still fun to tell him off :-P

Star Trek II was a good movie imo. They had this good idea to bring a character from an old episode back (Kahn, played by Ricardo Montalban). Start Trek III is decent too, mainly because it's a sequel to opus II.

Pretty much like fredrik. He apparently watched LotR: TTT just anticipating the visuals and got disappointed by the battle at Helm's keep and Gollum. Why don't you people just WATCH the movie instead of being nitpicky about tiny flaws in the visuals?

Uhh I haven't watched TTT and I never said I did. I've only seen the trailers so far. And they look awesome (though not perfect, but I really don't care).

i tell u there was an episode that really creeped the hell out of me. it was one involving aliens that took the crew at night. they would do stuff like cut off arms and reattatch them. they made a loud clicking noise. the table was also very creepy, had a robotic arm with 2 sharp wicked blades.

TNG Season 6: Episode 131 - "Schisms"

Yeah, that's a good one especially at the part when they combine their memories and attempt to recreate the scene on the holodeck to help them remember more.

TNG is my favorite series, but I don't like the season 1 or most of the season 2 episodes because the way the cast acted seemed too excessive, sarcastic, and artificial. Plus the uniforms on those two seasons sucked. On season 3+ they began to act better and the uniforms changed as well featuring a seperate jacket instead of a cheezy skin-tight jumpsuit.

I've seen the three recent movies, and I don't know you all but I'm looking forward to seeing Nemesis when it shows up here.

You can tell I'm NOT a trekkie. For one thing, although I have watched all the original episodes, Next Generation, and Voyager, I've still to watch any of the DS9 episodes. Never been to a convention, never will, one action figure--chewed up by my pets (violent cats heh?) I do want to see Nemisis though.

Edit:
And I haven't seen all of Enterprise, damn me. :P

dsm said:

At least filmmakers aren't using plastic models with go-motion technique like they did before computer animation was invented.

So? Isn't that one of the reasons the original Starwars movies were so much better than the new ones?

The original 3 Star Wars look more realistic than either of the newest 2, which is pretty pathetic. Realism in movies is actually regressing, because the filmmakers are compelled to use computer-generated effects. They're also compelled to make them fake-looking. Otherwise how will the audience know that they're using flashy effects? Of course, there are many good exceptions.

The sad thing is, even with fake-looking computer-generated effects, action movies aren't any cheaper to make than they used to be (inflation considered).

Hmm, I'm very much off-topic.

AndrewB said:

The original 3 Star Wars look more realistic than either of the newest 2, which is pretty pathetic. Realism in movies is actually regressing, because the filmmakers are compelled to use computer-generated effects. They're also compelled to make them fake-looking. Otherwise how will the audience know that they're using flashy effects? Of course, there are many good exceptions.

I do not agree. To my eyes, the original Star Wars didn't seem particularly real. It was quite evident to me that Jabba the Hutt was an actor/several actors in some plastic costume thingy.

dsm said:

I do not agree. To my eyes, the original Star Wars didn't seem particularly real. It was quite evident to me that Jabba the Hutt was an actor/several actors in some plastic costume thingy.

Well, I can understand what AndrewB means. Look at Yoda for instance. I can more relate to a human-animated muppet than to a computer-animated model. The 3D version seriously lacks soul.
Problem is we would have had no saberfight involving Yoda with muppets. So I guess computer animation is more like freedom of action rather than realism.

AndrewB said:

I can't freaking believe that Attack of the Clones got a 7.6 freaking rating on the IMDB.

Freaking isn't it?