Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

On 6/3/2019 at 5:48 PM, SaladBadger said:

There's some placeholder data for an E5 for whatever reason. Why? I dunno, no one at id's ever mentioned anything about an official E5 back in the ultimate doom days. Doom 2 stuff cropping up is probably just because their names come after the definitions for the Doom 1 names.

A pre-Sigil, Sigil perhaps? Lol 

I'm sure this has been posted before. Recently, I learned if you shoot the pistol and wait for its animation to end and then shoot it, the pistol is more accurate than if you rapidly shoot it. 

This has been really useful in maps where ammo is scarce and using the pistol against imps and sometimes the hitscanners is imperative.

11 minutes ago, Nymbus_Hustle said:

I'm sure this has been posted before. Recently, I learned if you shoot the pistol and wait for its animation to end and then shoot it, the pistol is more accurate than if you rapidly shoot it. 

This has been really useful in maps where ammo is scarce and using the pistol against imps and sometimes the hitscanners is imperative.

It works with the chaingun too.

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:02 AM, Welfare Prodigy said:

unless there's a second version of this song then your claim doesn't exist, sorry.

It was a very early version of the song, about finding the plasma gun in a secret area under a bridge, before they realized that the Doom engine doesn't allow for creating multi-level structures.

That "ambush" monsters have a full 360-view when they've been awoken (rather than the normal 180 degree sight cone).

Don't know how I managed to make any maps without noticing this immediately...

There's another major bug besides the infamous multiplayer-only yellow key in TNT map 31, and this is one that tnt31.wad fixes, but the id Anthology version doesn't.

stuckjerk.png.c5d742b34c05b678ef79d1e1fd258a1c.png

This jerk becomes aware of you way before he's supposed to and teleports to a sector that hasn't made room for him yet, preventing that sector from ever being able to make room and keeping all the other shotgunners from teleporting in. I went through so many engines and compatibility settings trying to understand what was going on, only seeing him through the wall in Doom95 (pictured above), then it turned out the answer was already there on the wiki. I know that should have been the first place I checked, but the yellow key thing has overshadowed so much of this level that I was all, "I should have already heard about something like this, is the problem with my iwad, aaaaaaaa"

In DB you can place a decoration called "dead lost soul" that will show the last frames of a lost soul's death. Nothing else. There is no way to see that the decoration is here if you are not able to see the frames in time

20 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

That "ambush" monsters have a full 360-view when they've been awoken (rather than the normal 180 degree sight cone).

Don't know how I managed to make any maps without noticing this immediately...

I always assumed they woke up on seeing the player. So shooting within their hearing scope will make them more alert?

On 3/27/2019 at 2:32 AM, kb1 said:

Maybe you could lead your army into battle: by possessing one of the soldiers, he becomes a general! And, once he dies, you can possess another solider! Like a 3D Command and Conquer where you can also fight! It's cool to think that the game almost supports it, out of the box.

Dungeon Keeper had a possession spell kind of like that.  It didn't power up your monster, but it did let you control it far smarter than the unit AI would, which with certain units (my recollection wants to say the vampire particularly, but it's been a long while) allowed you to practically solo some situations that would require a horde of minions to tackle without the possession spell.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:37 AM, Ajora said:

Until now, I had no idea that you could drink blood to regain health when you're below 10% in Wolfenstein 3D.

This gets brought up every now and again, but you rarely see people mention the most messed up part of it: it's not just any blood pool sprite that you do this with.  It's specifically the blood pool that has human bones lying in it.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:39 PM, Kapanyo said:

Making and running a level called ExMy, where x is a number higher than 4 in Chocolate Doom doesn't crash the game, and the map name reads "newlevel". However, making a level with a name where x is higher than 5 seems to start grabbing names from Doom 2's levels, which makes me think this wouldn't work in the original executable. Does anyone have an explanation?

There is no episode cap on -warp (or -wart) in Ultimate Doom or Final Doom exes. Regular 1.9 and older seem to cap the episode number to 3 though. Maps in episodes above 4 always play E4 music (instead of using Doom 2 music or crashing due to invalid music number) because of this. Exiting any map in episodes above 4 does not work because there's an episode number check in intermission code. Also, as discussed elsewhere, boss deaths can work in unexpected ways in ExM8 where x>4 (killing all of ANY boss monster type will always end the level).

E6Mx and above will use Doom 2 map names because the level name pointer is read from beyond the end of Doom 1 map name pointers in memory.

Didn't the DWD map source file leak from Romero have a map which was named E5M1? So it isn't entirely out of the question two extra episodes were planned for UDoom at some point.

It seems that the NEWLEVEL map name definitions for E4 and E5 appeared in v1.5 beta, even before actual Doom 2 map names were added. The pre-1.666 betas with partial Doom 2 support don't use these names in when running in Doom 2 mode except in the last few maps (28 and above).

Edited by xttl

And the ceiling in the first room is a lot higher in E3M9

EDIT:  D'OH!!!! Showed it in the vid.  Should've watched it before now.

However, it didn't show the small weird HOM error in E3M9 when in the stone courtyard with the imps, if you walk down to the dirt ground and look back through the open door.

Edited by Maximum Matt : D'OH!!!

@SiFi270

E3M9 is based on an older version of the map. E3M1 was changed in a registered Doom patch, but E3M9 never got the same changes. Not sure if the start position difference is also related to this and I don't have an old registered version ready right now on the laptop I'm using, but possibly yes.

Well, I just checked v1.1 for the first time in a long while and you everybody should just disregard all I said. :)

(the reason for the differences probably still is the same, E3M9 got forked from E3M1 before E3M1 was completely finished... but it happened before v1.1 already)

Edited by xttl

That there's a megasphere secret in the starting zone of map06. Been playing Doom since the 90s, always too lazy to check those pillars.

19 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

This gets brought up every now and again, but you rarely see people mention the most messed up part of it: it's not just any blood pool sprite that you do this with.  It's specifically the blood pool that has human bones lying in it.

I could be wrong but I think both blood pool sprites heal.

On 6/11/2019 at 8:28 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

Dungeon Keeper had a possession spell kind of like that.  It didn't power up your monster, but it did let you control it far smarter than the unit AI would, which with certain units (my recollection wants to say the vampire particularly, but it's been a long while) allowed you to practically solo some situations that would require a horde of minions to tackle without the possession spell.

I haven't played Dungeon Keeper - it sounds cool! Is it an old game?

I've thought a lot about how to have a first-person C&C. The ability to control a big army, yet still be able to fight alongside them. That sounds great, until your 100 health general dies. What then? "Possess" another soldier! Or, something that lets you continue to fight, without something cheap, like respawning. Typically, you can either control an army you're not a part of, or you can be a fighter, but not both. Maybe there's some game that has figured this out - I don't know. But, it sounds like a fun puzzle to solve, and I think it could make for a fun game.

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

I found out that Doom 2 is better than Doom 1. Proof:

I was replaying E3 and literally thinking to myself "Oh damn, I wish I had the SSG" or "Just hit three twice... dammit! This is Doom 1" The ssg just makes killing demons and lost souls make more sense.

What's the clip from, Ling?

13 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I've played Dungeon Keeper II and can say that I thoroughly enjoyed it back when I played it. Just took a look on GOG and it's really cheap, here's a link https://www.gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper_2

Oh man. That game was so unbelievably epic. 

It also had a weird first person mode where you could (iirc) traverse your dungeon via one of your imps. 

On 6/12/2019 at 6:06 PM, kb1 said:

I haven't played Dungeon Keeper - it sounds cool! Is it an old game?

It's old, but not as old as Doom.  More Windows 9x era.  They still sell it on GOG last I checked.

Every outdoors area Episode 1 level uses high walls. The skybox is clearly not designed to be seen below the mountains, so I wouldn't be surprised if Raven never even noticed the mistake!