Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

stab-a-mole

today i went to the hardware store to get a bin, but found myself looking in pest control. anyway after not finding the bin type i needed i went back and looked at all the traps. had some very interesting and wicked ones at that. my favorite was the one called "stab-a-mole" it was something that u placed above the exit of a mole(or any small rodent) burrow. when the rodent comes out it sets off a trigger that in turn brings down a rain of spikes. in case that was not going to kill it the instructions also said that a poison can be applied to the spikes. others included what i called 'the crusher' . rodent goes into eat, it sets on a table that is spring loaded. a large flat metal "hammer" comes down and crushes it. it then dumps it into a small waste box. that trap was capable of fireing 6 times. another has to be a bitch to clean. it contained 5 pairs of thick razon blades on both sides of a 'V' shaped trough. when what ever walked down and set off the bar the blades swung in twice. nothing like diced mice. and it happened fast a demo showed it off.

The search for a better mousetrap will never end. Kind of like attempts to patent perpetual motion. (The patent office refuses to take PM applications.)

We use the ol' reliable spring-loaded neck-breaker, baited with peanut butter and Quaker Oats. Get's 'em every time.

dice the mice, rip-a-rodent, radiat that rat, the mouse-o-wave, the amazing gib-o-matic, hammer time, time to kill: quality rodent traps, animal rights suck brand traps. i came up with those, most are lame. the stab a mole is a classic, have to try it. I catch rodents for reptile food so i will put the dead to use. i like the gibber

This reminds me of when I was at my friend Henry's house in the country, and we took a praire dog trap and got one. Henry's grandfather then came along, took the trap (which was like a little bear trap on a wire), hung the prarie dog from the wire, and beat it to death.

I don't have any rodentia problems but if I did, I'd just break out the shotgun.

Insomniac said:

Henry's grandfather then came along, took the trap (which was like a little bear trap on a wire), hung the prarie dog from the wire, and beat it to death.

Grandparents are weird.

DooMBoy said:
I don't have any rodentia problems but if I did, I'd just break out the shotgun.

/me sets rat loose in DooMBoys house and enjoys the sight of him shooting holes in the walls of his own house.

Heh, I remember a friend and I once trapped a field mouse in my front yard. We took it, and then disected it. Live. I feel bad about it, now.

We rarely find rodents around my house, even though we live next to a field. Even if one did get into our back yard, my dachshund would rip it to shreds within a few seconds. He can be so vicious sometimes.

You'd think the animal abuse people would say something about those traps.

This thread is depressing. Reminds me of the time I went to my grandparents house and said I wanted a pet bunny. They bred rabbits there, so said I could have one. I picked one out and named it Bugs. Next time I went over, they said they forgot and ate it already. =/

We have a cat. He may be of the peaceful slightly sluggish sort, but as we all know, catching mice is 60% about patience and concentration.

Ct_red_pants said:

/me sets rat loose in DooMBoys house and enjoys the sight of him shooting holes in the walls of his own house.

Hah, my aim's better than that.
/me turns my shotgun on Capt. Red Panties
:P

Little Faith said:

We have a cat. [...]

When I lived in the country we had a dog that was very good at catching mice. She would hold the mouse in her mouth, walk to you and drop it, alive, at your feet. Like saying "hey, look what I caught." She wouldn't kill it or anything.

I can catch mice just as well as a cat. Then again, I've been around them so long...

Traps? Hell, who needs them? :P

ravage is intent on us not forgetting that he is, above all things, a furry :)

There used to be an advert for a "Guaranteed mouse killer, send £5, full instructions included"
Anyone that sent off their £5 received 2 bricks, 1 marked "A" one marked "B" with instructions "Place mouse on brick "A", strike sharply with brick "B" " :P

DooMBoy said:

ravage is intent on us not forgetting that he is, above all things, a furry :)

I wasn't talking about that. YOU live with 6-10 cats all your life. See how you become. :P

i have a feeling i did this before, but here goes: This is the plan for a guarenteed mouse trap, brought to you in beautiful ASCIIVision

[]==============================[]
The   TTTTT H   H HHHHH   Mouse
        T   HHHHH   H
        T   H   H   H     Dunker
  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Requires: -1 strip of bacon
          -1 pop can
          -An ordinary bucket (at least 15 CM, 8 inches deep)
          -A skewer (long enough to span diameter of the bucket)

_______P_
[_________]   -Take an ordinary pop can
|  * * *  |
| *FECAL* |
| *BRAND* |
|  * * *  |
|  P O P  |
|_________|
[_________]

-Skewer it with a long (30 cm, 12 inch) rod (not too thick) 
right through the middle from top to bottom so it'll spin easily.

________
      |   ///  |
 =====|  ///   |========   
      |_///____|

Now take the bucket, put 2 holes in it across from each other so that 
the skewer can have a place to stay. Squeeze the opposite sides 
(marked O) and slide the skewer into the 2 holes. Fill the bucket 
with water a few CMs below the can.

O
            ________
           /        \
          /          \
         /            \
         |    ____    |
        =|===|_//_|===|=
         |            |
         \            /
          \          /
           \________/
                O

____     ____
         / __ \   / __ \
         \ \/ /~~~\ \/ /   -Ever wanted to see
          \__ X   X __/      a drowned rat?
      ~~~    \     /
              \_*_/   ~~~~
               U||           ~~
         _\|____/ \____\|_
  ~~       /   \   /    \
               |   |
       ~~~~    |   |       
               /\_/\
              /  |  \     ~~
           _\/   |   \/_
      ~~    /    |    \
~~~              |        ~~~~
                 |
EDITED to prevent forum breakage. ~IMJack

dachshunds are bred for rabbit hunting. my dog is a mix between dachshund and beagle. he will eat ANYTHING includeing rodents! he would chase down woodchucks and kill them, he would snag birds, rats mice and moles, chew the head and swallow the rest whole. chipmunks are an added treat. he has eaten other things: use tampons, used dipers, used condoms, used toilet water, used klenaxes... ok he likes to recycle... everything. surpriseingly he is still with us at the ripe old age of 15, maybe 16.
i also have another very effective mouser. a type of large terrestrial skink that enjoys small prey, mice is a favorite. thought it makes a very tame pet it is violent towards mice. i have not given it mice in the last few months, infact it hasnt had any meat. it really likes the pinkies, at reptile shows u can buy a cup full for about $5, thats about 25 baby mice. the geckos also rip these things apart.

when i lived back home my uncle showed us how to catch and kill mice and rats that lived in the field.
mice:
1st step: find all exits into burrow and block all but one.
2nd step: wait until noon or before 3:00pm in the summer, the heat makes the animal retreat to the burrow.
3rd steop: slowly pour water into hole and wait for animal to run out. either smash with hammer or catch with a cloth
rats: involved more because rats stored grain, and it could be alot of it.
so you had to dig up the site. kill any rats or rat pups and collect any useable grain. also he told us that a small snake could be caught during noon, best time to bask, and let loose in a rodents nest

Sephiroth said:

dachshunds are bred for rabbit hunting.

Dachshunds were bred to hunt badgers. The name means "Badger Dog" (thank you AKC shows). And judging by how mine acts sometimes, I'd believe it. Freakin' knocks me down on the floor sometimes! I've also heard that they can live to be like 20 or so.

Also, doesn't strictnine in mouse traps like dry out a mouse's innerds? Why not fill it with minute rice instead, and put a bowl of water next to it?

Insomniac said:

This reminds me of when I was at my friend Henry's house in the country, and we took a praire dog trap and got one. Henry's grandfather then came along, took the trap (which was like a little bear trap on a wire), hung the prarie dog from the wire, and beat it to death.

Prairie dogs are endangered, dumb ass.

they sell parie dogs at the reptiles shows, dont ask me why. oh most mouse poison makes it so they cant shit(at least the types i have seen) they then die a few days later. as for the rice trick, that is a good idea.

i remeber and old priest always saying that a few days after a wedding he would pick up alot of dead pigeons. I know at my mom's wedding i am gonna toss rice at the birds. my friends dad worked at a construction site, one night some rats ate a time of foam that starts expanding with air contact. in the morning they found rats that were bloated and ripped in places, some puked up their guts too.

Sephiroth said:

i remeber and old priest always saying that a few days after a wedding he would pick up alot of dead pigeons. I know at my mom's wedding i am gonna toss rice at the birds.

Urban legend