I tested it with Gzdoom 4.1.0 and Prboom+ 2.5.1.4

Doom 2 Format

No freelook

No jumping/crouching

Works with both Software and Hardware

IWAD- doom2.wad

Map is on map01

Second map is on map02

What do you boys and girls think of it? obviously its my first map and feedback and demos will be really appreciated :)

Changelog

Marsbase v0.1.rar - Initial release

Marsbase v0.2.rar - Changed some things in Lava pit secret, Blue key switch and Exit

Marsbase v0.3.rar - Fixed some minor things in map01 and added map02

Marsbase v0.4.rar - Fixed minor bug in teleport to Red Key room, Added two pinkies in Archvile room, changed music in map01 from Running From Evil to Bye Bye American Pie

Edited by piesunisko : Changelog

That was pretty fun. Compact and rather straightforward. Nice trap.

I wasted too much time trying to manage the medkits initially. Im not sure how I feel about their placement. And the cave fight is a little annoying, especially since I could very well run across half the map just to get a better angle. But everything looked cool and played nice. I certainly died a number of times. Thanks!

Hi, and thanks for submitting your work and to have respected the map-posting rules (well, the format is not indicated but I assumed that it was Doom2 format).

It was a nice little techbase map, and i can say that I enjoyed it. I have completed it in UV in 3.39 minutes, with 92% kills, 66% items and 0% secrets.

Now, starting with the visuals:

the map was quite a good work for a first try, with a decent amount of detail in every room. However the rooms were basically squares with some windows to the outside or to some computer panels. This windows, along with the computers on the ceiling were the only form of detail present in the map, so next time you will maybe try to put pillars, different wall decorations or something else. Also try to change the shape of the rooms.

There are texture misalignments quite on every "window", but nothing that breaks the visuals.

The doors were part of the wall where they were placed. Usually it is a good choice to put them in some kind of recess in the wall, to highlight the presence of the door and also to spice the geometry a little bit up. Good work in lower unpegging all the tracks however.

Monster placement:

Well, having that the map only consisted of humans, imps and a bunch of hell nobles there is not much to say here. The monsters have been used well, with a decent amount of ammo to fight them (maybe a little bit too much bullets) and were also placed in some nice ambushes (the double door one is my favourite, it makes me smile for a moment). So in the end not a cheap monster placement, I never felt that the monster were here "just to be here".

The only monster that I felt was used really incorrectly was the baron. It is supposed to be the boss, but 

1) he can't really move from his position

2) you can push the (unmarked) exit switch without fighting him

maybe placing the switch behind him or giving the baron the possibility to move should improve the quality of the fight.

General design:

Obviously it was not a complex map but, despite that, I felt lost two times (for some seconds, and probably it's only because I haven't payed enough attention). The first one was after I pressed the blue switch. I realized only after seeing no exit from the next room that I was supposed to push another switch in the "switch room", and that the blue key was used to reveal that switch. What I'm trying to say is that generally is better to show what a switch is supposed to open before giving the player the opportunity to press it, or you can give the impression of a switch that doesn't do anything. So maybe removing the hidden switch and changing the wall that he opens in a blue door is a good choice.

The second moment where I was lost was in the small courtyard, with the small steps to the cave. Really something that looks more like a secret that like the path to follow, but I don't think that it is mandatory to change them.

Overall a good start

3 hours ago, piesunisko said:

Sooo i made my first wad

719874247_Marsbase(2).jpg.1ba82c9c3b9ee96fac8f01cd5bc14ede.jpg

No freelook

No jumping/crouching

IWAD- doom2.wad

Map is on map01

What do you boys and girls think of it? obviously its my first map and feedback and demos will be really appreciated :)

Marsbase.rar

I Enjoyed it, for your first wad it's not that bad. The rooms were a little too small. Texturing was alright. Monster placement was great. Overall a good wad!

@Astro

@Simomarchi

@Mk7_Centipede

Thank you guyz for a good feedback :), Especially Simomarchi for pointing out misalignments and Baron of Hell placement, i will work on it in my future maps, but what do you think about the secrets? did you guyz had any trouble finding them?

23 minutes ago, piesunisko said:

But what do you think about the secrets?

I founded only the hidden switch in the courtyard, but I didn't searched for his effects in the first run. 

In the second run I returned to the red keycard room and I was quite surprised. Nice secret but the door leading to the berserk room is really the worst thing that you have designed. I think that you can simply remove it and make the wall lower when the player is on the bridge.

The secret behind the radsuit is kinda hard to spot, mainly because it is a secret in a bonus zone, near a much bigger secret, so it's quite unexpected. 

I still have to figure out how to open the last secret

4 hours ago, piesunisko said:

I played your map well? xD
I thought the end button would crush the monster.

9 hours ago, Panda said:

I played your map well? xD

Definitely, too bad you didn't went back too see what that hidden switch revealed because i think that secret is the best thing i made in this map, but thank you for playing my wad and posting your video! It feels really nice to see someone playing my wad

Props for providing us with more than a vague description and a download link. I can't begin to tell you how many threads I've seen from people presenting their first mapping efforts without any details or screenshots - such lack of information is enough to kill my interest in a wad, regardless of its potential quality.

Just downloaded, will update this post with my thoughts once I play it.

EDIT: So, here we go.

While neither the level design nor the gameplay is anything to write home about, I did enjoy the map for what it was. My only major criticism is that the different areas would have benefited from some more interconnectivity - from what I could tell, there was only one path from one room to the next. Making areas connect in more than one place goes a long way towards making traversing the same area multiple times less tedious. I was also not a fan of the pickups in narrow hallways that essentially forced me to pick them up when I didn't need/want them, but that's just a personal pet peeve.

Overall, it didn't blow my mind, but you do have potential. Keep it up! c:

Edited by MFG38

@MFG38

Thanks for playing! i'm already working on a next map so i will definitely make some more paths, also thanks for a review :)

FDA (prboom+)

thanks for sharing.

the automap looks good on paper.  but even though there were good things like some windows connecting some pieces, etc, it was still mostly a "room-to-room" kinda map with singular tight bottlenecks connecting everything.  I wonder if everything was scaled up a bit but with similar layout, then there would be more "wiggle-room" to massage the shape of each room and how they connect to one another, instead of being just bare-minimum boxes.

@NoisyVelvet

Thanks for checking out the map and demo! i know that the rooms lack polishing and decorations, but i'm working on a next map in this wad, that will be more detailed

Hope you will check it out ;)

On 6/15/2019 at 11:16 PM, piesunisko said:

Sooo i made my first wad

2036510280_Marsbasev0.1.jpg.63c0d310b4bfdbbae98a942e5ed54624.jpg

465751744_Marsbasev0.2.jpg.c95f1f9c6b1565da0cddc69f2b5e0023.jpg

252924860_Marsbasev0.3map03.jpg.92f5cc208fa3ad01b97c937702826654.jpg

Doom 2 Format

No freelook

No jumping/crouching

IWAD- doom2.wad

Map is on map01

Changelog

Marsbase v0.2.rar - Changed some things in Lava pit secret, Blue key switch and Exit

I made second map! hope you all will enjoy it :)

Hi again. I played your first map with -nomonster to see the changes. 

Glad to now that you have moved the exit switch and reworked your main secret, with some hints to find the one in the lava pit.

The second map:

I completed your map in 6.30 minutes, with 100% kills, a random amount of items (I unwillingly skipped the intermission screen) and 0% secrets.

Seems that you like cramped places. The map is a really tight cave/hellish building were the main goal is immediatly shown (well...if you use the teleport...maybe you should make it more visible) to the player. Find the three keys and see what happens then.

Starting with the visuals: 

as usual you made a good work with the texture choice, and again as usual there are minor texture misalignments on the steps and on the edge of the walls. 

What has really improved if compared to MAP01 is the level of detail. I appreciated the fallen ceiling that forces you to find another way, the ruined floors and the details to break the walls. 

In the cave with the switch for the red key there is this nuke fall, that become a strange yellow liquid that become water...I presume that the two liquids merge in the yellow zone but it is a strange thing to see.

Thing placement:

I don't know if the map is meant to be played from a pistol start, so I comfortably assumed that the answer is "no" and I summoned a SG.

You didn't make some epic ambush like in the first map but despite that the challenge was higher (maybe because this time you used more mid-tiers enemies, expecially the couple of revenants).

This time I have noted an higher then necessary quantity of shells.

You used well the hell knights and the demons to apply pressure to the player. It's not all that easy to move in this map (made by tunnels and edges that blocks you) and the use of meat shields that threaten to approach you before you manage to kill them is a funny thing.

This time we have an archvile as a boss (so I'm expecting a cyberdemon in the third map:) ) and it is a quite funny fight. You have only a SG, but you have also a lot of cover and this make the fight beatable. The only problem is that the archvile is a rather weak monster if used alone in a place were the player can take cover. Summoning a couple of demons in order to push the player to move out of cover could help him to be a threat. And also the demons can be revived so the healing ability of the archvile is not wasted.

General layout:

I liked the concept of the map, and the improvements on the architecture. There were no similar rooms I had always more then one path to choose from. 

The only thing that disappointed me a little bit was the red key hunt. The fact that I pushed a switch and the only thing that happened was a bunch of cacos that attacked me was quite tedious. It was only when I gave up the search of the key in the room that I actually found it in the previous one. 

Also I'm not totally sure of the method that I have used to find the blue key. I've simply seen it in front of me at some point.

Overall another good map, but maybe you will want to experiment to a bigger and more ambitious architecture style

8 hours ago, Simomarchi said:

Hi again. I played your first map with -nomonster to see the changes. 

Glad to now that you have moved the exit switch and reworked your main secret, with some hints to find the one in the lava pit.

The second map:

I completed your map in 6.30 minutes, with 100% kills, a random amount of items (I unwillingly skipped the intermission screen) and 0% secrets.

Seems that you like cramped places. The map is a really tight cave/hellish building were the main goal is immediatly shown (well...if you use the teleport...maybe you should make it more visible) to the player. Find the three keys and see what happens then.

Starting with the visuals: 

as usual you made a good work with the texture choice, and again as usual there are minor texture misalignments on the steps and on the edge of the walls. 

What has really improved if compared to MAP01 is the level of detail. I appreciated the fallen ceiling that forces you to find another way, the ruined floors and the details to break the walls. 

In the cave with the switch for the red key there is this nuke fall, that become a strange yellow liquid that become water...I presume that the two liquids merge in the yellow zone but it is a strange thing to see.

Thing placement:

I don't know if the map is meant to be played from a pistol start, so I comfortably assumed that the answer is "no" and I summoned a SG.

You didn't make some epic ambush like in the first map but despite that the challenge was higher (maybe because this time you used more mid-tiers enemies, expecially the couple of revenants).

This time I have noted an higher then necessary quantity of shells.

You used well the hell knights and the demons to apply pressure to the player. It's not all that easy to move in this map (made by tunnels and edges that blocks you) and the use of meat shields that threaten to approach you before you manage to kill them is a funny thing.

This time we have an archvile as a boss (so I'm expecting a cyberdemon in the third map:) ) and it is a quite funny fight. You have only a SG, but you have also a lot of cover and this make the fight beatable. The only problem is that the archvile is a rather weak monster if used alone in a place were the player can take cover. Summoning a couple of demons in order to push the player to move out of cover could help him to be a threat. And also the demons can be revived so the healing ability of the archvile is not wasted.

General layout:

I liked the concept of the map, and the improvements on the architecture. There were no similar rooms I had always more then one path to choose from. 

The only thing that disappointed me a little bit was the red key hunt. The fact that I pushed a switch and the only thing that happened was a bunch of cacos that attacked me was quite tedious. It was only when I gave up the search of the key in the room that I actually found it in the previous one. 

Also I'm not totally sure of the method that I have used to find the blue key. I've simply seen it in front of me at some point.

Overall another good map, but maybe you will want to experiment to a bigger and more ambitious architecture style

Thanks for your review! I still have problems with Aligning textures so i'm going to definitely work on it

Yes the map is meant to be played after first one, so spawning SG is okay for me! 

I don't remember why, but i made yellow key (the one in lava) easy on purpose, sorry if it was disappointing :(

I'll add some demons tho the archvile fight so it will be more entertaining

And yes, you collected blue key the way it was meant to be

I will fix some thing and upload the next version

On 6/15/2019 at 11:16 PM, piesunisko said:

Sooo i made my first wad

465751744_Marsbasev0.2.jpg.c95f1f9c6b1565da0cddc69f2b5e0023.jpg

252924860_Marsbasev0.3map03.jpg.92f5cc208fa3ad01b97c937702826654.jpg

Doom 2 Format

No freelook

No jumping/crouching

IWAD- doom2.wad

Map is on map01

Second map is on map02

Changelog

Marsbase v0.4.rar - Fixed minor bug in teleport to Red Key room, Added two pinkies in Archvile room, changed music in map01 from Running From Evil to Bye Bye American Pie

So i uploaded next version, hope you all will enjoy ;) plus i'm working on a next map in this wad

First map was fine though a little confusing to navigate. My biggest problem is with MAP02. For one, there's a hallway with a bunch of "rings" on the floor, one of the rings has a clip in it that can't be grabbed (at least not in GZDooM). Another issue I noticed is the door near the green rocks in the small cave (not the left one that leads to a revenent's butt, the other one) It an only be opened once. Was that intentional or a bug?

Overall a decent pair of maps. Fantastic visuals and not too overly complex. 8.5/10

On 6/30/2019 at 10:06 PM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/446480832

I playtest this at 1:44:55 into this livestream. Not bad for a first map!

Thanks for playing my wad! i know i screwed up baron of hell "fight" in MAP01 and i still have some problems with texture alignment but, hey, thats why uploaded the wad, to listen to opinion of other, more experienced people, right? :) i will finish the last, 3rd map of the wad and i hope you will play it :)

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:49 PM, piesunisko said:

i will finish the last, 3rd map of the wad and i hope you will play it :)

Let me know when this happens and I'll play it.