Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DiaBomb

Literally Hell [v1 | 06.16.2019]

This is just a small, short map I made in school. It is also my first officially released map for Doom2, if you don't count an entry in Joel's second mapping contest.

You are (obviously, given the name) in hell. You have to make your way to the top of the mountain.

This map is designed around Hurt me Plenty and requires GZDoom or a UDMF compatible source port (tested with GZDoom 3.7.0_Legacy & 3.7.1).

Jumping and Crouching is forced. Freelook is optional. The map does not use any lights so your renderer will not matter that much.

Screenshot_Doom_20190616_114327.png.ff331fa155240f1d0850f9dd91b9a9c9.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190616_114405.png.3594efaf6be25906c0412b34c88bc89a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190616_122221.png.71b833a35155be756bead1929ee00096.png

Click here to Download

I may also have some more projects coming up in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

Edited by DiaBomb : Fixed some typos.

3 minutes ago, unpleasantmarine said:

does this map need to be udmf? only scripts i see could be easily created in boom or even vanilla

Now that you say it, not really. I don't know why I choose UDMF.

5 hours ago, DiaBomb said:

a UDMF compatible source port

Somehow I doubt this.

Interesting level though, tried running through, got blasted by an archvile, heh.

6 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

tried running through, got blasted by an archvile

I actually designed it so that you could ignore the archvile if you are not going for 100% by running strait to the exit. Did you by any chance trigger the archvile before you almost got the exit?

18 minutes ago, DiaBomb said:

I actually designed it so that you could ignore the archvile if you are not going for 100% by running strait to the exit. Did you by any chance trigger the archvile before you almost got the exit?

The exit is the pit by the berserker, no? I tried fighting with the demons, because loads of decorations tend to turn me away from an area.

Just now, PaquoCastor said:

The exit is the pit by the berserker, no? I tried fighting with the demons, because loads of decorations tend to turn me away from an area.

Yes it is the exit. I just sounded like a bug. Good point though with the decorations turning you away, I will change that in the next version.

Thanks for the feedback.

The map is really fun! I loved it! But one problem: I find the exit a bit...hidden. You could make a hint of where you are supposed to go.

Also, in the pit, you could add a Cyberdemon that you have to fight to finish the level. That would be neat!

9/10

I was locked in the pit near the berserk pack (the exit? Why the level doues not end?) in 9.45 minutes, with 106 kills, 44 items and 0 secrets. I played your level on HMP in ZDoom.

First of all yes, the map has to be in UDMF having that it has slopes and a 3d floor (and I think only one spawn script).

Now, the map was a short hellish environment with some caves and a marble part. Quite surprising for a 2 hours work but not at all a good map. 

Starting with the visuals: the map was heavily underdetailed. There were no decorations at all and the first zone really appears like a group of cubes and squares placed in a giant room.

There was also no light variation. 

It is always good to see a slope or a 3d floor in an UDMF map, but they can't do the detailing work alone. At least there were no texture misalignments.

I don't like the stock hellish textures (they are just too red and satured for my tastes), so I can't comment the texture choice from a neutral position.

Thing placement:

nothing impressive also here. I liked how the chaingun is preferred to the shotgun in the start (not a usual thing) and the couple of fights with the mid-tiers without a super shotgun, so that it is seen as a reward when you finally find it. But all the good thing finish here. There were monster on some cliffs, to give them positional advantage but I really disliked the ambushes. The monster where almost always only in front of me, and in the caco fight on the little mountain I simply retreated to a safer position. Locking the player in an area, or attacking him from more than one direction (for example some cacos from the lower zone) is useful to provide a better gamplay.

The rocket launcher is here only for the archvile I suppose

I don't understand the berserk near the exit to be honest.

General design:

I liked how the level loops on itself, and the general layout, but the exit is really, really placed in a hidden spot. If I see 100% kills in the kill count I expect to see the exit clearly.

Overall nothing good, nothing too much bad. You have an idea of how the advanced editing mechanics work, but there are also some basic thing that your map does not have (mainly some detail and good ambushes)

I played through your wad yesterday and enjoyed it. Personally I found the exit without a problem, but I understand that it is hidden. Maybe next time make the exit more obvious. Looking forward to your next wad!👍🏼