Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

Resident evil 4 is retro now? How old am I?

Tank controls sucked (were somehow fun when you got used to them), but resident evil 4 did simultaneously screw with both survival horror and 3rd person action games. Gears of war solidified the change in 3rd person shooters, but it started with RE4. That said, it's still a great game.

Unpopular retro opinions? Sonic is only kinda fun. The Genesis has much better games that are kinda just forgotten to time.

Fair enough. It just doesn't feel that long ago. Time keeps on slippin...

1 hour ago, Revae said:

Fair enough. It just doesn't feel that long ago. Time keeps on slippin...

Agreed. I was looking around at the local game-store this week and they had Doom 3 in the "retro" section...

11 hours ago, seed said:

What?

That:

If you were lucky you would even get multiple torsos. And, yes, this was the arcade version, not some "family friendly" Nintendo bullshit. Quite a downgrade compared to MK2. 

3 hours ago, Revae said:

Unpopular retro opinions? Sonic is only kinda fun. The Genesis has much better games that are kinda just forgotten to time.

Which games are you thinking about?

I've never cared much for nintendo or nintendo games in general. This is probably because I was raised on pc and play station 1 and pretty much exclusively played western made games.

Not a lot of exclusives tbqh. But Dinosaurs for Hire and Beached Surfer Dude were both fun. 

Sonic isn't bad, I just never understood how it found such a solid audience.

There's a machine at the machine shop I work at that makes the "you've lost all your rings" noise occasionally... 

8 hours ago, UNERXAi said:

Serious Sam moves too slow.

Croteam got it the best in SS3 where you can sprint to reload or when you aren't shooting. I actually like the decision where Sam is slower than almost all the enemies. Makes it so that you can have interesting fights in giant open arenas without the player being able to outrun the majority of the threats.

As for my "unpopular" opinions: I don't like pixels in fully 3D games like Quake and especially can't stand aliasing in any games. Which is why I never play at below the resolution of my monitor. So-called jaggies are the #1 enemy of visual quality in games.

Waxworks is the best horror game of the 90s.  Although it's probably the most frustrating as well...

11 hours ago, Count651 said:

I've never cared much for nintendo or nintendo games in general. This is probably because I was raised on pc and play station 1 and pretty much exclusively played western made games.

I was never an avid fan of Nintendo either, but I could say I was kinda raised on it tbh, or rather, on a clone system :p.

The number of NES games that I have played in my childhood vastly exceeds that of PC games. In fact, seeing that NES-like/8-bit glorious games are making a comeback, especially on PC, my interest in them is one again increasing.

I sure as hell wish the NES itself would make another return as I have missed it the last time.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I sure as hell wish the NES itself would make another return as I have missed it the last time.

With the abundance of famiclones (licensed and unlicensed) and official "NES mini" re-issues, that's one easy wish to fulfill.

3 hours ago, Maes said:

With the abundance of famiclones (licensed and unlicensed) and official "NES mini" re-issues, that's one easy wish to fulfill.

I know about the mini versions, but as far as I'm aware they are no longer being produced. Or am I wrong again?

Clone systems are a "no", I've had plenty of that. At this point, it's either the real deal or nothing at all.

From wiki:

The term retro has been in use since the 1960s to describe[1] on the one hand, new artifacts that self-consciously refer to particular modes, motifs, techniques, and materials of the past.[2] But on the other hand, many people use the term to categorize styles that have been created in the past.[3]

Ah so retro is something made now that tries to mimic the old. So Shovel Knight would be retro as it goes for an 8-bit style, while Super Mario Bros is NOT retro, because it is from the 8-bit generation. Sonic Mania is retro as it goes for that 16-bit style, while Sonic 3 is 16-bit and therefore NOT retro.

Here's an unpopular opinion... we haven't been discussing retro at all!!!

Meanwhile, vintage is as young as 13 years old. Antiques are as young as 100 years old!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vintage_(design)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique

Read em and weep!

3 hours ago, seed said:

I know about the mini versions, but as far as I'm aware they are no longer being produced. Or am I wrong again?

Clone systems are a "no", I've had plenty of that. At this point, it's either the real deal or nothing at all.

The official NES mini has been discontinued twice. That being said, there are famiclones that clone the mini itself, and now come laden with 400+ actual games, including SMB3, Megaman 2, RoboCop, TMNT etc., certainly much better than all the crappy "999999 in 1" carts I collected over the years, which only had SMB, Duck Hunt, Ye Ar Kung Fu and Track & Field repeated ad nauseam.

What impresses me Is that they still.use the infamous NoaC (NES-on-a-Chip) ASIC, and not an ARM-based emulator core, so in a sense they are closer to the real thing than official NES Classic/Mini.

15 hours ago, seed said:

What do you mean, the real deal? The official NES Mini is just ARM hardware running an emulator.

2 hours ago, VGA said:

What do you mean, the real deal? The official NES Mini is just ARM hardware running an emulator.

Is that so?

2 hours ago, seed said:

Is that so?

Yup. This has both pros and cons e.g. you get fancy functionality normally not found on "real deal" clones, like e.g. configurable HDMI video output, fancy HD menus, support for save states, easier moddability, no video artifacts, and you don't suffer from the known NoaC flaws with some games.

OTOH you normally don't get a cartridge port with all implementations (but not all famiclones have one either), no composite video output, and possibly performance issues/sceeen tearing with the emulator itself. Plus, knowing it's not "real" NES hardware underneath, not even a replicated one, might not quite float your boat.

Comparing Westwood's Tiberian Sun with all its dynamic systems to Starcraft, SC really is a prehistoric primitive designwise-stunted piece of shit RTS. It even has that fucking stupid DuneII-esque limitation on how many troops you can control.

On 5/30/2019 at 7:55 AM, geo said:

iD made shovelware before getting lucky with Wolfenstein 3D.

If you think Commander Keen is "shovelware", then what about the generation of shitty screen-by-screen or single-screen action games it made obsolete? Yeah it's a Mario clone, but a Mario clone is a hell of a lot better than the rest of the PC action market in 1990.

And speaking of that:

* Those long, obtuse adventure games like King's Quest were not popular in the '80s because '80s PC gamers are geniuses or whatever nonsense Sierra game fanatics will tell you, but because action games before Commander Keen were mostly trash and the only good PC games were slow games.

* Wing Commander was best in the first two games, when the graphics were sprite-based and other people could tell Chris Roberts no.

* The first three episodes of Wolfenstein 3D are quite dull and uninspired, and Id only got the hang of Wolfenstein level design with episodes 4-6, and only mastered it with Spear of Destiny.

* Corollary: Spear of Destiny is much better than the original Wolf3D purely on the strength of its level design.

2 minutes ago, Woolie Wool said:

If you think Commander Keen is "shovelware", then what about the generation of shitty screen-by-screen or single-screen action games it made obsolete? Yeah it's a Mario clone, but a Mario clone is a hell of a lot better than the rest of the PC action market in 1990.

And speaking of that:

* Those long, obtuse adventure games like King's Quest were not popular in the '80s because '80s PC gamers are geniuses or whatever nonsense Sierra game fanatics will tell you, but because action games before Commander Keen were mostly trash and the only good PC games were slow games.

* Wing Commander was best in the first two games, when the graphics were sprite-based and other people could tell Chris Roberts no.

* The first three episodes of Wolfenstein 3D are quite dull and uninspired, and Id only got the hang of Wolfenstein level design with episodes 4-6, and only mastered it with Spear of Destiny.

* Corollary: Spear of Destiny is much better than the original Wolf3D purely on the strength of its level design.

As I've pointed out before what would you call a game with 4 releases in 12 months? Indie games are far worse at releasing the same game in less time than AAA. I'm not even saying it's shitty or even judging its quality.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:19 PM, 3saster said:

I'm pretty sure that's why he doesn't give a review score in his reviews; his videos are exaggerated versions of what he thought of the game. I especially love his incredibly bizarre analogies/metaphors ("I was more on board than a superglue enthusiast cheating at a surfboard competition!"). My only complaint is that it sometimes he doesn't seem to like any game, and is too jaded.

That's the problem with "personalities"--their actual opinions and ideas end up inevitably being overshadowed by their gimmick. Yahtzee was much better when Zero Punctuation was young and he wasn't 110% in-character 100% of the time.

6 minutes ago, geo said:

As I've pointed out before what would you call a game with 4 releases in 12 months? Indie games are far worse at releasing the same game in less time than AAA. I'm not even saying it's shitty or even judging its quality.

I would call them small games made on a small budget in an era when a lot less work went into the making of a game? Commander Keen was not particularly thin of content or poorly designed by the standards of its time, nor was the fact that it was essentially two games plus two standalone expansions with largely the same visuals and gameplay notable when that, too, was standard industry practice in a PC market where most PCs were old and would be expected to run until they died, because they were so expensive. If half of your customers still have an 8088 machine, why bother with a VGA renderer and all-new assets?

Edited by Woolie Wool

That article is the extremely biased against quake 2, and I don't like quake 2. Community patches should be compared to heavily modded quake 2.

I just read the article. I agree that he should've used a source port like Yamagi for Quake 2 to make things more even and also agree that he kinda dragged Quake 2 into the mud (which he himself admits). However I also do agree with a lot of his points, especially how the good stuff in Daikatana gets overshadowed by the bad stuff (most of which got fixed or can be disabled by using 1.3 patch).

Daikatana really isn't that bad of a game. With the 1.3 patch and right settings, it is a enjoyable game.

@Pegg

Heavily modded how? To the point that it's a different game? That's not Quake II then. Daikatana itself is a 'heavily-modded Quake II' in some sense, after all.

@ReaperAA

I don't think a source port would make a difference here, since the problem with Quake II is not a technical one (it's a technically excellent game), but the lack of interesting content. I have a hunch that the official mission packs may redeem that problem, possibly.