Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rescue86k

simple interactive terminal (like marathon)

Question

I'm searching on the web and not finding something. Is it possible to make a terminal like in marathon, in doom? I'm trying to inject some Starship troopers style propaganda into the map to guide and imerse players into the map. They "use" a welcome terminal, and a screen pops up with a sound file playing a voice. Screen will be a still image. They press "use" again to close out. 

9 answers to this question

I assume you're looking for these:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/HudMessage

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ActivatorSound

https://zdoom.org/wiki/GetPlayerInput

Combine them into a script and use script_execute linedef on your terminal to activate it, the pages have examples.

EDIT: made an example combining these effects

script 1 (void) //script that will be activated from terminal
{
   ActivatorSound("term/welcm",127);
   SetFont("PICTURE");
   HudMessage(s:"A"; HUDMSG_PLAIN, 887, 0, 0.1, 0.8, 0);
   while(true)
   {
    int buttons = GetPlayerInput(-1, INPUT_BUTTONS);
    if (buttons & (BT_USE))
    {
     HudMessage(s:" "; HUDMSG_PLAIN, 887, 0, 0.1, 0.8, 1.0);
     terminate;
    }
   Delay(1);
   }
}

Edited by tempdecal.wad : fixed formatting errors

You are awesome! I'm working on it now.I plan to ask no more questions, make it work! This makes a difference, I had a much more crude approach without help.

I'll be using this sample clip. If you played marathon, generally the buildings are more interactive.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0nEqLSD2zz3

Knee deep in the dead open world.

Capture22.PNG

Sounds good, I forgot to add a slight delay before while(true) so make sure to do that before using the script, otherwise the script will immediately begin checking player input as soon as it's executed.

On 5/26/2019 at 5:59 PM, tempdecal.wad said:

Sounds good, I forgot to add a slight delay before while(true) so make sure to do that before using the script, otherwise the script will immediately begin checking player input as soon as it's executed.

Sorry for late reply. Its been working thank you. Much exteriors of first creator complete so more focus leaning on interiors. The doom guy can walk around with terminal active but sort of liked it. Wasnt sure should even change it. Sort of useful if situation for it. 

What sucks is I can only do picture OR text. It would save time and space if I could overlap dynamic text onto the picture and type it instead of make unique terminal.png for each. 

Png for transparency if needed later? But is there a way to show both text and picture ?

You can add another message with a different id after the picture message and it'll be displayed on top of it, change the font back to a regular font (like confont for example) with SetFont and use HudMessage again, except this time you type an actual text and change the id to one that you haven't yet used.

Alpha parameter can also be added to set alpha value for the message, see the HudMessage article in ZDoom wiki, and yes you can freeze the player with SetPlayerProperty if you want.

Looks like will be remaking the terminal. At the moment its simple . doesnt cover entire screen. Was concerned of other players resolutions. Mine is 1920 1080 but theirs may be different. I wouldnt mind covering entire screen. Do you know some code that might work to do that. Or easier to keep terminal small to the side of screen, be safe

Also if youd like I'll include you in a terminal. Just need a portrait you prefer and some Valid reason the player reading the terminal. Choose a " level " building. 

Examples:

1) trapped inside this room, cant get out. All hope lost.

2) I shut off the power relay and the next room flooded with acid . hope the monsters dead.

3) (post event) hi girlfriend, still doing well here. Boss keeps telling me I'm underperforming and threatening to send me to demos installation. How is it on earth?