Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rince-wind

Recommend me YOUR wads

It's awesome how fast you're playing through these, I thought you'd be overwhelmed but quite the opposite!

I'll throw my two standalone releases into the hat:

The Terraces is an older limit-removing city-map of mine that I recently added much more visual detail to so it looks all pretty now.  I low-key am really proud of this one.

And Foursite is... well, Foursite.  My first map, a 60-minute limit-removing "4-in-1" idea that ended up getting a fair amount of mainstream press attention despite not really being all that good compared to most of everything else on here.  My one claim to fame: the thread about this map on Reddit's r/gaming knocked the Red Dead Redemption 2 announcement off the top spot.  Lel.

@Rince-wind Whatever format works best for you; if you feel like writing about each level or about the wad as a whole I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Still working on Akeldama; just got a WIP map for the 23 slot at this time, and need to get around playing more of the maps at some point when I'm less busy with map work.

8 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

I think you missed my wad, so I'm bumping my comment.

I didn't miss it, I just didn't know you wanted my opinion.

If you want a review the best way to let me know is either like my post asking about critiques or just say it in your post.

Now for the wad itself:

I'll go straight to the point and admit that I'm very biased against slaughterwads, so I can't really comment much on the gameplay.

What I can comment on is how pretty and detailed the maps are for a timeline of 30 days.

Using one or two main colors for the textures makes the levels unique and striking.

10 hours ago, xdarkmasterx said:

i've got a "few" XD here's one of my most recent

You need to make a Megawad of all these vanilla maps you made, it would rival the Compendium.

What do you mean slaughterwads, my wad is not slaughter at all lol

It can be a bit packed with monsters in certain maps, but the gameplay is fairly standard.

9 hours ago, valkiriforce said:

@Rince-wind Whatever format works best for you; if you feel like writing about each level or about the wad as a whole I'd like to hear what you think of it.

Your wad has some quality stock texture usage, the levels have a simple but interesting architecture. I appreciate that you made the exit of the second level a spaceship, that extra effort is recomendable.

The gameplay has an exceptionally smooth difficulty curve and the fights keep being engaging thanks to the plethora of traps. The one thing I found questionable in the second level is the room with a bunch Knights, Revs and Mancs all clumped toghether while there are plenty of rooms with lonely zombiemen that could use a stronger monster alongside. That room isn't even hard to clear since the player can easily shoot the monsters trough a bottleneck so it just ends up filling time. The same thing happens in the level with the long open brick halls with lots of beefy monsters, it's not a hard encounter because you can easily dodge their attacks, it just becomes a slough to clear out. And the less I talk about the PE swarm in Cacoplasm the better.

The levels themselves aren't that long but the challenging and plentiful encounters are here to keep the player busy.

One thing I wanted to talk about is the first level. It has an eerie atmosphere, what with the music, the somber sky and the fact that you start the level on what I assume is a torture chair. I was hoping the rest of the wad kept that eerienes, you really did a good job with that level.

All in all I'd recommend this to anyone up for a challenge with lots of enemies to fight.

19 minutes ago, Lorenz0 said:

What do you mean slaughterwads, my wad is not slaughter at all lol

It can be a bit packed with monsters in certain maps, but the gameplay is fairly standard.

This is mostly my fault because I use the term slaughterwad for the maps that are all about fighting a great number of enemies in big open spaces, grantet some maps in your wad don't focus on that.

Even on Doomworld I can't find a definition for it that everyone agrees on.

12 hours ago, Bauul said:

The Terraces is an older limit-removing city-map of mine that I recently added much more visual detail to so it looks all pretty now.  I low-key am really proud of this one.

XUg01MI.png

I'm sold!

@Rince-windHere are 3 standalone maps of mine. You can play it with mods or cheat or something, since it has vanilla gameplay. Also, you can put any first impressions, I'd appreciate it honestly.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55822 First map that I made, all stock textures, compatible with Zandronum and GZDoom.

Second map was inspired by speedmapping sessions (you need PrBoom+ and above) and third map was a rejected map from another project and remade properly (you need GZDoom 3.4 and above). Be careful of the last area though, no regrets making it as cunty as possible lol (feel free to cheat if you want if it's hard for you)...

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

@Rince-windHere are 3 standalone maps of mine. You can play it with mods or cheat or something, since it has vanilla gameplay. Also, you can put any first impressions, I'd appreciate it honestly.

The architecture of the maps is very pretty, even the speedmap looks good.

I find the gameplay for all three maps to have the same problem, it's pretty boring because the player never gets ambushed or falls for a trap, the monsters are just randomly scattered around the map in long winding halls or big open spaces waiting for the player.

I've got a few weapon mods you can take a look at:

Lizard Squad (Non-stop cartoony action Doom mod)
It's a cartoony MSPaint gameplay mod made for ZDoom and GZDoom. It has multiple player classes, new weapons, new enemies, new items and even new rideable vehicles.

My version of Eriguns mod

It is a modified version of Xaser's Eriguns mod. It should work in the latest version of GZDoom. Changes were made to the original mod like new sound effects and slightly new weapon behavior.

i H8 Pain Elementals

It's a tiny gameplay mod for GZDoom. It changes enemy behavior to make their attacks weird. Some of their attacks are relatively harmless while other attacks can do some devastating damage. Their health values have changed too. This should be compatible with other weapon mods.

1 hour ago, Fadri said:

Since good maps are not the only ones allowed, here's mine. :D
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hellstar

It's honestly not even bad, had some fun with it, especially the last battle with the Cybers and co.

The fact you put damaging sectors at the edges when fighting pinkies and spectres so the player can't cheese them shows some good insight on your part.

I'd recommend this to others and wouldn't even think twice.

4 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

The architecture of the maps is very pretty, even the speedmap looks good.

I find the gameplay for all three maps to have the same problem, it's pretty boring because the player never gets ambushed or falls for a trap, the monsters are just randomly scattered around the map in long winding halls or big open spaces waiting for the player.

I'm not a man who relies much on traps actually, I prefer some fluid gameplay from start to end. Although, I'll take your criticism into my next maps and apply nasty traps to the players. Thanks for playing them :)

28 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

I'm not a man who relies much on traps actually, I prefer some fluid gameplay from start to end. Although, I'll take your criticism into my next maps and apply nasty traps to the players. Thanks for playing them :)

No problem!

The only solo thing I've ever released was a remix of MAP01 in E1M1's theme, inspired by seeing the opposite, or maybe it was the other way around, I forgot. It's buried somewhere on the ZDoom forums. So instead I'm gonna promote ZDCMP2, where I did some sections. Fun fact: if you look carefully in each of the "tech base" section I've built, you can (theoretically) find very small patches of yellow textures. Shoot each of them to unlock a secret in the "hell" section I've worked on. You'll need the blue skull key.

13 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

XUg01MI.png

I'm sold!

Hah, glad you like Mr. Fleshy Snek!  I'll be very interested to hear what you think of the map.

8 hours ago, Bauul said:

Hah, glad you like Mr. Fleshy Snek!  I'll be very interested to hear what you think of the map.

If anyone wants to make a city themed map, they should play this first.

It's pretty, fun and doesn't outstay its welcome, would recommend to anyone!

7 minutes ago, Phobus said:

This link will take you to a thread featuring my "best of" compilation. In theory, to a post featuring a combined download from my Google Drive, but if not, check the OP for a link to each of the volumes. Hopefully (G)ZDoom isn't an issue!

Good luck, and good job on getting people to curate themselves!

Why thank you!

Unfortunately the links for any volume give me a 404.

4 minutes ago, Jaska said:

Can you check this out?

Will do, right now I'm playing Phobus' levels.

Looks very vibrant and pretty from the screenies.

3 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

@Phobus I absolutely love how you gave a briefing/story at the intermission screen for the levels, I wish more people did that. 

Thanks! I thought it would tie together the disparate elements better, which seemed important to me at the time. I appreciate how you're so immediate with these suggestions - it's why I posted in the first place!