Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

For Those Questioning Eternal's UI, Art Direction

It totally works for me. Doom 2016 is great fun, but I notice myself slowing down my own playstyle because I don't know where I'm going and don't know what's going on.

Pumping up the UI and pickup visibility means the game can be played faster, I can pick a higher difficulty level, etc. etc. etc.

I thought about that and I think that the opinion is divided by people who think that it's an improvement, because for them it's a better HUD to get info quickly, and those ones who think that the previous one was good enough and did its job pretty well, and it's not necessary to make an extravagant glowy HUD to get info easier.

I'm in the second group. I've never had any problem with the previous one, and I think that this one is too much. But I understand the other posture as well, so I think that the best option is to let us choose the style of HUD that we want in the game. I think it's not a difficult thing to make for the developers.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the negative feelings towards the HUD dissipates once people actually get to play it, since I doubt it's going to be overbearing in fast-paced situations. If you're just watching the gameplay then of course attention's going to be drawn towards the UI.

Nonetheless, even as someone who likes the new HUD, different options would be nice and knowing Id they'll respond nicely to feedback and at least some level of customization was probably in the cards anyway.

Edited by chemo

I can certainly understand the rationale that id gives in that interview. They want you to know exactly what you're looking at in the UI, in the midst of neck-break speeds, and bold colors help assist with that. I suspect that @chemo is correct in that most people, when actually playing the game, aren't going to be particularly distracted by the UI.

As for the weapon wheel, I see that being mostly a non-issue for me, since I hotkey all my weapons in Doom 2016 and intend to do the same for Eternal.

Is the game faster than the previous one? If not, then I don't agree with the change. Giant floating weapons, giant health vials, giant radiation suits, no thanks.

It's the only thing about the game I'm not keen on at all.

It's obnoxiously terrible and that's quite the bullshit excuse they make to cover for the decision. Why would anyone that's not a 14 year old girl want giant rainbow colored bars in every corner of the screen? This screams world of warcrap more then anything and don't even get me started on that terrible weapon selector wheel.

Just put a tried and tested hud across the bottom and be done with it.

Really hoping that this can be changed in the settings menu or all of the terrible design choices such as double jumps, wall climbing, 1-ups and rainbow element graphics flying all over the screen from enemy attacks along with the rip off of the Halo energy sword is just too much alienation for those of us long time fans that have been playing since the 90's.

Pretty much going to pass on this one at this time since it's veering way too far off the beaten path now.

Edited by Malice

I really disliked the low health warning alarm they added in Doom 2016, but then after I played through the game on Nightmare, I realized that I was constantly being hurt and glory killing to regain health etc, and a short distinctive alarm turned out to be useful and not as annoying as I originally thought. I'm willing to give id enough benefit of the doubt that they are making these changes for a good reason.

5 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

Is the game faster than the previous one? If not, then I don't agree with the change.

They have repeatedly said the game is faster and in fact when they first implemented the dash move it basically broke the game for a while because the demons didn't have any way to handle a Doomslayer moving that fast.

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

in fact when they first implemented the dash move it basically broke the game for a while because the demons didn't have any way to handle a Doomslayer moving that fast.

Source? That sounds like quite the amusing topic.

10 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

Giant floating weapons, giant health vials, giant radiation suits, no thanks.

It needs to be bigger and brighter. lol

But really, I'm glad that games are starting to use video-game iconography again. It's a nice change of pace after so many years of cinematographic language. And the most important - it fits Doom well enough, I guess.

I am sure we will be given a lot of options to add and remove stuff from the HUD like in Doom 2016.  I for one removed the Glory kill glow.

I feel like that as weird as the HUD is right now, they could either give it a few tweaks or even options.

I wonder if it could be improved by looking like the classic HUD with red letters/numbers on grey bases.

But regardless, i feel like i have to actually play it to see if the HUD would even bother me that much.

But i still think the question mark feels out of place in any Doom game because its design just isn't interesting creativity wise.

To be honest, the bright glaring HUD is probably the tradeoff of doing a Day 1 Switch version instead of porting it a year and a half after the fact. You need to have all of the HUD elements and shit readable and accessible during gameplay on a 6.2" Switch screen, and the usual circumstances involving AAA game development means that it needs to be easily read by your average player on first glance. 

A HUD scaling option for the PS4/XB/PC versions wouldn't be a bad idea though.

it's way too fucking big, and I don't like the yellow greeny color. i hope the give the option to resize it and maybe even change colors?. They have shown that they took inspirations from popular mods from the original doom and the culture arround them so I really hope they give us the option resize them like these new doom ports.

Just keep it minimal to not break immersion but have the information somewhere arroung the borders.

That might not be the best thing to compare game huds to but I hate these websites that have huge images all over the place, I only end up struggling to find what I was actually looking for

Make the UI in general 10% smaller, change the font to something less mobile-esque, and put the "demonic corruption" meter back in the auto-map menu and it would look much better. 

There were definitely times in Doom 2016 when I was at way lower health than I thought.

The reasonings behind the new UI make sense to me and I've personally experienced issues with the last one. I'm keeping an open mind about it.

I’m digging the new UI. I just can’t wait for the game to come out so everyone can stop complaining about it. 

why don't they use this anymore? not only is the color palette and the design more badass but it's even more dynamic, it moves and shakes based on the player's actions making the game even more immersive

EDIT: I also like on this gameplay how the pickups aren't cartoonishly large and aren't glowing to the point they don't seem to have  texture at all.

Edited by ([zen3001])

new footage released and it looks exactly the same, it's probably not going to change anymore. I'm still convince the the footage above had way better ui