Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

Chernobyl [HBO Mini-series]

I just finished watching the last, out of five, episode of Cherobyl. If you haven't seen it, holy shit, it's so good. I highly, highly recommend it. It's contained within five 60 minute episodes (bit longer with credits) and follows what happened during (and after) the disaster at Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in 1986. I'm normally not one for dramatic shows but this really hit the spot. It's not overly long and or complicated which makes for easily digestible yet gripping viewing. The way the show treats the material - especially at the very end - really makes it for me. It's also now the highest rated show on imdb beating out Planet Earth 2 and Band of Brothers.

So yeah, it's dope as fuck, def recommend watching it if you haven't.

Got petty excited when i saw those trailer on YT but then i realized that i don't have HBO...F*CK.

I've been fascinated with the Chernobyl disaster for a long time. Might start a free trial just to watch this. 

Watched it. It's good. The series got a lot correct, even if it didn't go terribly in depth. I did some research as I watched it, just to make sure they kept it factual, and I was pretty impressed by there dedication to proper source material. If you have Amazon Prime, you can buy an HBO sub by the month. Binge on stuff like this and GoT. 

I didn't even know about this until very recently...i mean i don't have HBO (and never have) but i'm sure i can find it somewhere online to stream (not that i like doing that). I've already read that some of it isn't exactly correct but it's a drama right? If it was 100% accurate it would just be a regular documentary, not a historical drama series.

Thunderf00t debunks some of the nonsense on the series in this 37 minute video.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:41 AM, Armaetus said:

Thunderf00t debunks some of the nonsense on the series in this 37 minute video.

I don't normally go to Youtube videos just to leave a thumbs-down, but I did in this case.

Even before watching it it was obvious that we have a prime candidate for a garbage video: 37 minutes for something that can probably be said in 5, or even better - summarized in half a page of text. But I gave it what I considered a fair shot. Within 3 minutes it was obvious that we are dealing with a textbook case of a guy in love with the sound of his own voice, all smug, making smartass comments about apparent scientific inaccuracies, with irrelevant metaphors and hyperboles that are apparently included to make the viewer go blind due to overexposure to the sheer awesomeness of the author.

No, I did not watch it past those 3 minutes; I have better things to do with my time. I read tons of material on Chernobyl before, then read some more after watching the HBO series recently; I am fairly confident I know which parts of it are fact and which are fiction. Sometimes I enjoy watching others' take on the subject matter, but not when it's presented to me in such a jerk fashion.

4 hours ago, dr_st said:

a textbook case of a guy in love with the sound of his own voice

Opinion.

4 hours ago, dr_st said:

smug

Opinion.

4 hours ago, dr_st said:

making smartass comments about apparent scientific inaccuracies

I don't see anything wrong with this.

4 hours ago, dr_st said:

are apparently included to make the viewer go blind due to overexposure to the sheer awesomeness of the author.

Opinion.

4 hours ago, dr_st said:

No, I did not watch it past those 3 minutes

Shame.

5 hours ago, dr_st said:

I read tons of material on Chernobyl before

This is great, it's good to remain informed on the subject matter.

5 hours ago, dr_st said:

I am fairly confident I know which parts of it are fact and which are fiction

I honestly wish they tried to remain 100% to the history books, not inject fiction in it.

5 hours ago, dr_st said:

Sometimes I enjoy watching others' take on the subject matter, but not when it's presented to me in such a jerk fashion.

Thunderf00t is known for being straight up and abrasive so he's not everyone's cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Armaetus said:

I honestly wish they tried to remain 100% to the history books, not inject fiction in it.

It would not have worked for 2 reasons (at least). First, an honest and complete documentary usually does not translate into an exciting story. Second, there is not, to this day, a full agreement among researchers and historians as to the exact causes, or more specifically, the exact weight of each factor among the factors that contributed to the disaster.

As far as I can tell, they did a pretty good job showing what was "the party line" at the time versus what was already known to the experts (like Legasov), and contrast the two. That the actual contribution of the actions of the staff was to the accident was, in fact, even lower (e.g., the power surge did not start before they pressed the emergency button, but only after it was done) was not fully understood back then, and even now not all agree.

1 hour ago, Armaetus said:

Thunderf00t is known for being straight up and abrasive so he's not everyone's cup of tea.

There are ways of being straight up without simultaneously being all over yourself (maybe that's what you call 'abrasive'?) and wasting everyone's time by talking around the point with endless tangents. I will willingly admit that the latter is particular pet peeve of mine. My preferred method of absorbing information is reading, and I do it fast; thus, I have very very little patience to drawn out videos that take ages to get to the point. I hate most 'instructions' videos on Youtube as well. What I love? Yahtzee's reviews (Zero Punctuation). The guys speaks so fast I find it hard to follow at times, but he's infinitely more eloquent that most of them, and his signal-to-noise is ridiculously high.

I will not watch that video because I am not fucking illiterate. Also lmao at Thunderf00t being used as reference material for anything.