Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Texture Extravaganza - RC2 AVAILABLE!

This is great news and this project is somewhat unique. Glad you take it over. I hope somebody who not participated also take a try.

@NaZa also, I will make one more map for this project, cause I have no active projects currently.

Oh hey this project IS still alive! Was thinking about trying to wrap it up myself in 2020, so I'm glad it's getting a nice bow on it by July. An idea I had and wanted to implement was to have a "starting" room for each map that shows you the 4 textures and flats that the author gets to use, as it's a little more impressive when you get to see what the author had to work with. Could be cool and wouldn't be too hard to implement (just have four sectors with the flats/texture combos and a teleport leading to the official start of the map).

Also I'd prefer my map to be the last one in the set, or close to last. It's a mean map and I'd rather have people not get stuck there and refusing to skip it.

10 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

An idea I had and wanted to implement was to have a "starting" room for each map that shows you the 4 textures and flats that the author gets to use, as it's a little more impressive when you get to see what the author had to work with.

That is indeed a great idea, gotta admit. Will implement it, and see whether it's good when RC rolls.

10 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Also I'd prefer my map to be the last one in the set, or close to last. It's a mean map and I'd rather have people not get stuck there and refusing to skip it.

From what I've played through so far, I don't think you have to worry too much in that regard.

@NaZa I requesting a texture set for my map.

Edit:
Here is extra textures which I will use: DOORTRAK, SW1METAL, BIGDOOR6

Edited by riderr3

WOODGARG
FIRELAV3
BLODRIP1
ASHWALL2

CEIL3_3
STEP2
FLOOR5_1
FLAT4

Well, all I can really say is good luck. Atrocious walls, and flats are only mildly better.

EDIT - Did a roll for my textures too. Fairly decent and hell-tech, I think... I got immensely lucky.

image.png.d9f95578c0539f762d3953abc2c73ea7.png

Edited by NaZa

This community project sounds interesting however sadly I'm currently juggling 2 other projects and trying to finish a solo mapset.

However I am looking forward to the final results to this :) 

Talking about new maps, i've send to brazzk a possible secret map for this project, the map itself is a little unfinished, but i can say that i have a layout ready...

I could resurrect and finishing it as a normal map and with new textures set... there's nothing really much to finish actually.

Walter, it'd be good. You can keep it a secret map if you want. 

@NaZa

I would like to take a stab at making a map for this project. Please send me the textures and flats.

I also plan to use DOOTRAK and I'll figure out the switch and door once I see the random selection that I get.

59 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Walter, it'd be good. You can keep it a secret map if you want. 

All right, so i'll see to finish out then minor changes that needs..

@Pegleg

PIPEWAL2

SFALL1

SILVER1

BROWNPIP

FLAT20

FWATER3

FLAT5_1

FLAT5_5

Interesting set with a slime fall, but a water flat! Pinchy had a similar situation, but also marble textures. 

Here's a sample of an intro that could be used for each of the maps. Only thing added is the black texture/flat, and you can easily swap out the player 1 start in the main maps with a teleport thing and marking the sector 999 (unless it has some other #, then you'd just change the teleport trigger lines). I didn't include space for doors because I'm not even sure people use the same amount of door textures per map; the main thing to showcase is just what the set hands to you.

TEtest.zip

Edited by dobu gabu maru

Done.

"Cosmic canning shop" by riderr3
For Texture Extravaganza Community project.

Advanced engine needed: Boom compatible
Music: Iron Maiden - The Evil That Men Do.mid
Skybox by Mechadon
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Build Time: 5 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder-bugfix, SLADE3, WadSpy
Tested With: PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4
Description: UAC corporation sends you to a remote cosmic canning shop. Recent reports indicate that most of the metal equipment has turned to rocks, and the shop has also been attacked. We need to find out what's going on.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/803m0fw4wghd713/coscshop.zip

Screens:
01yAVSW.png

3kBauo9.png

On 6/19/2019 at 9:58 PM, dobu gabu maru said:

Here's a sample of an intro that could be used for each of the maps. Only thing added is the black texture/flat, and you can easily swap out the player 1 start in the main maps with a teleport thing and marking the sector 999 (unless it has some other #, then you'd just change the teleport trigger lines). I didn't include space for doors because I'm not even sure people use the same amount of door textures per map; the main thing to showcase is just what the set hands to you.

TEtest.zip

Looks pretty cool! 

Finished my secret level and send to NaZa via PM!

Edited by Walter confetti

@NaZa

With the deadline for submission today, I'll have to resign myself to not being able to finish the map I started for this project. The time I expected to have didn't materialize and I was only able to make part of one room.

Oh well. I'm looking forward to the release.

@Pegleg Don't worry, it's okay.

I've hit a few bumps along the way of getting this thing out, but it'll happen next Monday. Been a rough one, this week, with commitments for a load of other things too, which is kinda ironic since it's holidays. Oh well.

Bugfixing Day 1

-----------------

Screenshot_Doom_20190703_194104.png.c40f044400faced6b75b3d686f1da92c.png

@StormCatcher.77 - Flooded Palace has a softlock spot near the beginning of the level - from the place in the picture you can straferun into the window. I have not been able to find a way out as the door? doesn't open from the inside.

@NaZa, my special thanks for bringing the project back to life! I already forgot about it...

I decided to make some changes to my map, in addition to fixing bugs. It was obvious that the idea with instand-death-traps was unsuccessful in gameplay terms, and I refused it. Now the marks on the floor only play the role of barriers in some places. The lighting that was originally designed to look good in GLBoom has now been reworked and looks much better in software render. And several other bugs found and fixed during testing (in addition to one mentioned by NaZa).

Today I have not tested the map fully yet, so I can not guarantee that I did not break anything...

> Download

P.S. And yes, I believe we can see next iteration of this project someday. Mapping in such strict frames is fun experience that could ever plunge into once again.

Edited by StormCatcher.77

Nevermind. RC1 has a couple of issues. Link taken down for the time being.

Hey, I noticed nobody replied here, so I just want to say I finished this wad today and had a blast!

I've been eyeing this project for a while (and even attempted a map for it years back) and I'm happy to see it finished.

The creativity that everyone presented with this given limit was astounding and inspiring, showing you that you don't need a lot of fancy textures to make beautiful maps.

Great stuff!

I did notice one small bug, at Flooded Palace (Stormcatcher's map) there's an extra Player 1 Start before the first red skullkey pusher section.

5 minutes ago, Terminus said:

Hey, I noticed nobody replied here, so I just want to say I finished this wad today and had a blast!

I've been eyeing this project for a while (and even attempted a map for it years back) and I'm happy to see it finished.

The creativity that everyone presented with this given limit was astounding and inspiring, showing you that you don't need a lot of fancy textures to make beautiful maps.

Great stuff!

Thank you for giving it a playthrough! Admittedly, the OP of the thread isn't all too inviting and looks like a dev thread, but I'll change that for when RC2 rolls around which will hopefully be the definitive version of the WAD. And you are right, we all sometimes think that we need copious amounts of textures to do copious amounts of detailing, when in reality most of it is just redundant and made to fit the false criteria of "detail = great map". With 7 textures and 4 flats being the standard (Pinchy's Green Flow and rdwpa's Under the Stars both using 12 due to an additional texture/flat, respectively), and some maps like VeinCrawler's Shit'n'Chips using only 4 textures and 4 flats, it really shows it all indeed. Makes me even sadder about the fact I had not contributed anything despite starting and finishing this project.

I did notice one small bug, at Flooded Palace (Stormcatcher's map) there's an extra Player 1 Start before the first red skullkey pusher section.

That will be looked into and fixed.

Once again, thanks!