Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Panda

Remove map (TAB) from the game???

Is there any way to remove the map that opens with the TAB key?

If I'm not mistaken, I think I saw a wad long ago that showed an image instead of the map, but I do not remember which wad it was.

I don't think you can entirely remove the option to view the automap unless you just unbind your Tab key.

If you're talking about doing it on your own wad, there are two ways:

1. Like you said, replace the map with an image although I'm not exactly sure how it's done.

2. Opening your map at the editor, selecting all the lines and marking the option of "Not shown on map". That way when you open the automap, you won't see anything.

Hope this helps.

If you wanted to remove the actual automap functionality, you'd have to modify the game's source code.

19 hours ago, Terminus said:

Hope this helps.

Well, it's not what I expected but I'm satisfied xD Thanks anyway.

16 hours ago, MFG38 said:

If you wanted to remove the actual automap functionality, you'd have to modify the game's source code.

In that case, I could change any aspect. If I knew how it would be ideal but I'll see what I do. Thank you.

20 hours ago, Panda said:

Is there any way to remove the map that opens with the TAB key?

Interesting you ask as I was only thinking about this myself the other day... I rarely use the automap myself as I prefer to explore and try to remember the maps from experience and was thinking about forcing the player to the do the same in my WAD...  something to think about... how would I do it? Making all sectors and linedefs "NOT SHOWN ON AUTOMAP" in the builder... you can still access the automap but it will be blank.

17 hours ago, DoomSpud said:

Exactly! I would have liked a objectives sample as in the quake2 style.

maxresdefault.jpg

You could theoretically use intermission text as a replacement, using it to tell you your objective. The only thing that would suck about that is you wouldn’t be able to go back and read it again after it goes away. If you’re making a zdoom wad you could probably create a custom item that simply displays text telling you your objective as well. Just spitballing over here!

using Doom-In-Hexen map format will allow you to use ACS scripting. and with ACS, you can draw almost anything you want on a HUD (and alot of other scripting tricks ;-).

If you wanted to add objectives to your map, there are some ZDoom wads that have done such thing with scripting. It's separate from the automap, however.

You could check out the ZDoom Community Map Project 2 and one of the Temple of the Lizardmen megawads (forgot which).