Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

VIRUS!

Remember a while back, me saying something about my computer screwing up? Turns out, there was a bastard virus skipping around my files! I finally caught the son'of'a'bitch in a quarentine folder and well - there goes my neorage emulator as well - damn virus!

Burn the hackers! BURN THEM!!!

/me seeks out hacker home and sets the house on fire
/me sits back watching the show while singing "The roof is on fire".

I found out that some people, who had Norton AntiVirus installed, still had some VisualBasic scriptviruses on their PC. It helped to go to the online virusscanner. Luckily, NeoRage (emu & roms) can be found on KaZaA.

Fredrik said:

Sacred hint #1 for avoiding viruses: NEVER use filesharing programs or cracked programs.

OR, use filesharing programs such as Kazaa and run a decent antivirus-program like Norton Antivirus in the background. Problem solved.

Fredrik said:

Sacred hint #1 for avoiding viruses: NEVER use filesharing programs or cracked programs.

agree.
I heard somewhere that it is a good idea to have an older computer that connects to the internet, and you connect to the old computer..
I forget now, too tired.

OR, use filesharing programs such as Kazaa and run a decent antivirus-program like Norton Antivirus in the background. Problem solved.

Been there, done that. Enjoy your computer's 70%performance degradation.

Well I did have a virus scanner on here a couple weeks ago, someone took it off for whatever reason, I ran a complete c:\ drive scan and it found no virii, and (get this) the virus list was up to date. So I don't think I have anything to worry about for now. (/me knocks on wood)

Downloaded an infected copy of Kazaa Lite a few months back, on this machine. Lost all the image files. Pissed my sister off. Dad shelled out for a DL'd version of Norton AntiVirus 2K2. For some reason, the thing will not turn off "shareware" mode and go into "registered" mode. It sucks.

Heh; i didn't know i had a virus until i tried sending a pwad to Orion for testing. Turns out that both mine and Jay's systems were thoroughly infested by the blighter, resulting in a pair of hard disk formats.

We've gotten the latest versions of McAfee since, so no more probs.

Heh. Fools.

Wanton random downloading of every file that even remotely sounds interesting is to blame.

Fredrik said:

Heh, that is how I got a bunch of viruses. I fucking hate how Norton cannot get rid of the virus itself, so I have to 1) click the file, which causes Norton to popup a warning, once that is gone, I use shift+delete 2) I have to edit the bloody registry (I always back up after I remove a virus) 3) I have to find out if it is running a program behind my back and disable it, which can sometimes be quite a fucking wonderful time >:| 4) I have to determine if it affected other files (and since the only types of viruses I have gotten EVER were trojans, none seemed to affect my file system.

I NEVER run a .exe I have downloaded unless I scan that thing, same with .bat and other formats that can contain viruses. Norton scans my incoming and outgoing e-mail for attached viruses (so if I wanted to send a virus to somebody, I couldn't), but whatever. It also scans all files sent to me over Trillian too. I take special care of this system. Heh, I remember a few years ago, I got trojaned when I was on dialup on my old computer and the hacker could hear me through my microphone (which stopped working after a format, the format was unrelated to the trojan). Heh, he was a nice guy, I told him I was 13 (which I was at the time) and he was sorry and told me how to remove it. Heh, fun times >_<

Heh, I scanned ma puter like 600 times in one day, and nothing. yet my puter is FUBAR, seriously, I cant 'alt+ctrl+del' to close a non-respnding program cause If I try or press it at all, it freezes everything but the mouse cusor. And everything causes my puter ro crash at times.....Except Doom.... When Im Downloading a big file, I HAVE to play Doom or Heretic while it Downloads and/or copys the files, or my puter Freezes, heh shows there IS potential in games. And when I restart ma puter, (via going to shut down and chooing restart) I get error messages of These things being illeagal operation or sumthing and having to press close to advance...Ill resart now and find out which ones close...

EDIT: The errors were about these in this order...

Taskmon
Systray
Winampa
Msgsrv32

My puter is beyond messed, if ANYONE can suggest on somehow to to a certain degree help my situation, I'd be forever greatful, I am very desperate to have this puter become a good or at least standard puter... All these things wrong with my puter has majorly slowed my map making, and I am far behind... :-/

well number one, a virus scanner doesnt stop all viruses. only the popular ones. seccond, dont quaurantine the damn thing, go on the internet how to look it up.

gosh.

i remember when my computer lab had a virus and the teacher didnt know how to clean it since it jummped from computer to computer over the network. she didnt have it in her head to unplug the damn computers from the network and clean them one by one. but it got fixed cus i printed out the instrucktions on how to clean it. she didint know who printed it untill i told her. she was soo happy.

I was unable to clean the one_half virus, so it left me no choice but to get rid of it - of course, it didnt go down alone, it nearly took half the files on my hard drive.

I tend not to trust virus scanners because all they do is take up system resources in the hopes that it will be able to identify an incoming virus. And if you do identify it, there isnt always the possibility that you'll be able to clean it. Instead you'll often have to delete the infected files themselves. I find its just better to avoid downloading .exe files altogether from fileshare. If i need software, I get it from someone else.