Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

SLADE is dead on macOS [actually works only from Terminal]

I'm on the latest macOS version and had some annoying bugs with the latest SLADE I had. So I went to http://slade.mancubus.net to get the latest one. First oddity I noticed was that despite the announced version being 3.1.5, the Mac DMG is still labelled as 3.1.3. And when I try to run the .app, it will not load at all. Instead, SLADE kindly invites me to throw it into the trash :(

Are there any other tools I can use to manage wads? I can write one myself, but I can't bring myself to write such tools, it's boring… I guess I can use NWT on Terminal? No other GUI tools for Mac wad management? I'd rather not use Windows and I have no space to install a Linux VM :(

No wad tool = no way for me to test wads = no way for me to develop Eternity.

If Doomworld still had thread stickers, I would have labelled this one as [O NO N].

Edited by printz

I use 3.1.2 b5 (os x 10.14.5). I recall every version newer I tried being horrifically unusable.

6 hours ago, printz said:

Are there any other tools I can use to manage wads?

Eureka worked pretty well for me, although some bits of the interface were a bit arcane and took a while to learn.

This is suspicious. Linguiça's linked version gives me the same error when started from Finder, so now I've tried 3.1.3 once again from the Terminal by starting the executable directly (/Applications/SLADE.app/Contents/MacOS/slade) and it opened.

I would get this same error when trying to start badly signed apps. Unsigned apps would normally allow me to override this security block by giving me the option to "run anyway". And this app doesn't look signed at all to me, it should let me override access… Either they went all-in with the GateKeeper block or MacOS doesn't trust SLADE.app for some reason and considers it trash.

It could be something I ran into also -- the first time you open the app, you have to locate it in Finder, right click, and choose "Open". After that it should open normally. This was needed for unsigned apps like you mentioned.

Has anyone here tried compiling SLADE for Mac using Homebrew as documented here? http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=wiki&wikipage=Installation-on-OS-X-using-Homebrew

I'm having trouble getting passed the `brew tap` step and get an error saying there was a syntax error in the formula.

Sigh I've had such terrible luck getting SLADE to work on mac, and it's the only modern editor to really say it's supported (aside from Eureka which is not particularly modern).

I can Bootcamp into Windows and use SLADE or GZDoom Builder there but it's definitely not preferred.

Update:

I've recently discovered that Dark mode in Mojave was causing a lot of my issues with SLADE. Going back to light mode at least makes 3.1.3 usable on Mac.

This makes me happier. Although it would be nice to get the latest point release, i saw that @sirjuddington may have issues with his own Mac machine that's causing official binaries to lag behind which leaves it to someone else to compile them and release it.

The homebrew method should technically work but I've attached what i get when i try to run the `brew tap` command.

Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 10.33.32 PM.png

Edited by Blitzy

3 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

Interesting. I build my own modified version from source so I might not have hit this.

@printz my trick may not work in that case.

I was making my own builds, by having the dependencies obtained either from MacPorts or over the internet. Unfortunately, even when I managed to make my own builds, they would result in highly unstable builds, worse than those uploaded officially.

I was using the main repository however, not the one prepared by the macOS uploader.

On 6/23/2019 at 8:42 PM, fraggle said:

Eureka worked pretty well for me, although some bits of the interface were a bit arcane and took a while to learn.

eureka isnt really a wad editor is it? its a map editor with some options that let you edit ZMAPINFO, dehacked, decorate, etc afaik