Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

3 hours ago, D88M3R said:

Oh man, you were so SO right, i am suffering, that is the perfect word.

I just finished E5M2 after not playing it since i posted here (and i did not have ammunition to kill the Cyberdemon, so goodbye 100% because there is just no ammunition to kill him, and i am not killing it with my fists, my mouse does not work well and it takes too much time anyway) and got to the end of E5M3.

In E5M2 i had to use a guide AND cheats to get to the secrets. I just had to use the guide again to find all the secrets in E5M3 except the one with the automap...

I have not played the original Dooms in ages, but i can clearly remember that at least most of the secrets made sense if you used your brain and if you paid attention and tried hard enough.

Here, they dont make ANY kind of sense, and you cannot even get to them most of the time, and there is not even a clue to where they are, you have to know where they are in advance, which of course is ridiculous. It really is detracting from the experience to me, not only searching all the level to find nothing but having to minimize it constantly the game to consult on the internet just to find out that the secrets are in the craziest of places. Wtf.

I totally get what Romero is trying to do here, but one thing is going "old school all the way", and another one is this thing, which is completely different and lefts me puzzled about what the hell was he thinking.

I am enjoying everything, the level design, the MIDI music, the "unfair" set pieces, the atmosphere/ambience, but this thing with the secrets is really confusing, and i even find hard to believe that any player of the WAD has actually found all the secrets in each level without a guide/cheats.

I am baffled.

I am just quitting it for now and playing it again in some days, i actually just loaded the game because i was not in the mood to watch any movie or play a more complex game, so i just thought to myself to keep playing my dear old Doom, to actually escape for a little while of a lot of problems that have been going on lately, and i find this and it actually did not helped my mood at all. I am gonna go watch some Duckman instead -i have never watched it before and i recommend it- i think to get a laugh at least.

Really? I think the vast majority of the secrets in Sigil made perfect sense, and very few of them were just push the wall ones.

M1: It shows you the radsuit very easily, and all secrets can be found simply in a chain reaction.

M2: First secret (berserk) was an easy to see eye on the right, the soulsphere was a push door behind the first secret, but this is typical Romero. The blue armor was easy, and the last soulsphere was fine as well, you can see it from the key area, needs a blind jump, but most people try that, aren't they?

M3: The computer area map was kinda bad, but it wasn't necessary. The RL was very easy. The berserker was very easy, and it triggered another one too.

M4: Both RLs are doable, you can see those exits if you look carefully (maybe the right section one was not that obvious, but still fine), the soulsphere behind button was visible again from the outside, and the invincibility was very easy. Oh, the final one was bad, but did it matter?

M5: The first one is marked, the second is not that good, but the use of the extra ammo platform was a clever idea.

M6: The BFG door was marked (I admit, didn't find it without cheats, but still obvious in hindsight), the cell ammo was easy, and the red skull bars with the invincibility was super clever.

M7: The invincibility/green armor/soulsphere one was nasty but fun, the two secrets next to your start area were marked, and the outside area with the caco visible from the start area was very interesting as well.

M8: Well, these secrets were kinda meh, but Romero always loved using doors opening after you leave the area, and it also had a double secret again. The zombieman one was hilarious, intentional trolling.

M9: The plasma one was like the RL one in M4, a catwalk ride, the Lightamp was easy, and the red door one was okay, you can hear that door sound.

So, other than a few hiccups, like the last of the M4 secrets, or some of the M8 secrets, these stuff were either easy giveaways, or clever, elaborated secrets or secret chains.

Just now, eulo said:

Really? I think the vast majority of the secrets in Sigil made perfect sense, and very few of them were just push the wall ones.

Spoiler

M1: It shows you the radsuit very easily, and all secrets can be found simply in a chain reaction.

M2: First secret (berserk) was an easy to see eye on the right, the soulsphere was a push door behind the first secret, but this is typical Romero. The blue armor was easy, and the last soulsphere was fine as well, you can see it from the key area, needs a blind jump, but most people try that, aren't they?

M3: The computer area map was kinda bad, but it wasn't necessary. The RL was very easy. The berserker was very easy, and it triggered another one too.

M4: Both RLs are doable, you can see those exits if you look carefully (maybe the right section one was not that obvious, but still fine), the soulsphere behind button was visible again from the outside, and the invincibility was very easy. Oh, the final one was bad, but did it matter?

M5: The first one is marked, the second is not that good, but the use of the extra ammo platform was a clever idea.

M6: The BFG door was marked (I admit, didn't find it without cheats, but still obvious in hindsight), the cell ammo was easy, and the red skull bars with the invincibility was super clever.

M7: The invincibility/green armor/soulsphere one was nasty but fun, the two secrets next to your start area were marked, and the outside area with the caco visible from the start area was very interesting as well.

M8: Well, these secrets were kinda meh, but Romero always loved using doors opening after you leave the area, and it also had a double secret again. The zombieman one was hilarious, intentional trolling.

M9: The plasma one was like the RL one in M4, a catwalk ride, the Lightamp was easy, and the red door one was okay, you can hear that door sound.

So, other than a few hiccups, like the last of the M4 secrets, or some of the M8 secrets, these stuff were either easy giveaways, or clever, elaborated secrets or secret chains.

15 hours ago, D88M3R said:

I just finished E5M2 after not playing it since i posted here (and i did not have ammunition to kill the Cyberdemon, so goodbye 100% because there is just no ammunition to kill him, and i am not killing it with my fists, my mouse does not work well and it takes too much time anyway) and got to the end of E5M3.

It's possible to telefrag the cyberdemon, if you really do want that 100% kills.

Finally also got my Beast Box today (no. 801). Sadly, knowing the prices at which these are selling on ebay now, I have decided to keep my version sealed and in mint condition. You'll never know what these might be worth in a couple of years.

Hi Guys. I also ordered the Beast and the standard box in december  and last week thursday I finally got my shipping notification. Since then I check my tracking nr every day. The status has not changed for the last 9 days. image attached. Whats wrong with this Asendia tracking. Never heard of this company before. And other package tracking sites cant find my number. Have other  german customers experienced the same?. That the tracking status has not changed? . 

Thanks

Unbenannt.JPG

Edited by Tyler23

On 6/21/2019 at 2:41 PM, eulo said:

Yeah, I didn't like that.

If you miss the first secret entrance, you're confronted later with an obvious lava tunnel that *kills you* without having found the previous secret radsuit and an automap secret that will probably kill you when navigating back to the normal path (the lift sector). That's just... no.

4 hours ago, NightFright said:

Finally also got my Beast Box today (no. 801). Sadly, knowing the prices at which these are selling on ebay now, I have decided to keep my version sealed and in mint condition. You'll never know what these might be worth in a couple of years.

I'd guess that the value is peeking around now

@Tyler23

My tracking status also didn't work. Roughly had to wait for 14d after the first notification, so you should be ok still.

18 hours ago, cybdmn said:

Finally my Beast Box arrived today. Great collectors item.

The part I was least excited about was the coin, but when I finally picked it up... My god.

Thank You Night Fright.

So you had the exact same status like me from Asendia?  "shipment left seller facility ....."

Have you got an notification from DHL once the package arrived in Europe or Germany?

No, I only learned about the arrival from the postcard in my mailbox, to pick up the package from the post office. The tracking never worked for me at any time.

my tracking doesn't work either. as in, it doesn't work, at all.

bad.PNG.aac0f04327b974d9ab214f77cbb99558.PNG

that is all that it shows me. i only just recently figured out that clicking my tracking number did nothing, because it goes to UPS and that of course doesn't work internationally. i guess that's my bad, but even more frustrating, the email tells me to go to http://apps.asendiausa.com/tracking/, which leads me to a completely white page with their logo. i can do nothing there, and have to click the logo, and then found a place where i could input my tracking number. which gave me the result i showed above.

i sent a support ticket to LRG about this, but i feel like that's not going to accomplish much of anything. just sit and wait for shit to happen, i guess? probably get slammed with a huge customs fee as well.

this is honestly incredibly aggravating and frustrating. there's so little information i am given about my order that cost me almost 200 dollars to purchase, and my tracking number doesn't give me back any useful information. it feels like they don't even give an ounce of consideration for their paying customers that lives outside the US.

Is this how LRG treat all their products and customers or is this just an aberration?  I've had more communication from people selling things for 99p on eBay.  The few emails I've received from them have been a little tone deaf and have only been sent to me after I initiated communication through their ticket system...

I suppose I should be grateful that my BB finally did arrive - even it it was missing the coin.  Thankfully, they're going to send one at no extra cost.

Still, don't think I'll be buying from them again.  So much unnecessary stress.  This thing wasn't cheap!

I can say that Romero has been a superstar throughout.  He kept us informed and kept being positive and even found a compromise to keep us happy by allowing buyers to download the WAD before the hard copy's arrival.  He's certainly shown LRG how things are done.  Thank you, John. :)

On 6/21/2019 at 11:28 AM, Maximum Matt said:

My only question about Sigil - is there a D2 conversion available?

For those complaining about the missing Super-shotgun in SIGIL (because SIGIL is the Ultimate DOOM Megawad):

Are you aware that there is a WAD with SSG addon. Only thing you need is a compatible source port. For example for MBF is -ssg switch and SSG.WAD all you need.

ssg_param.png.3c0e8e27d4aedf0e0075aa8ae9c42127.png

And there you go. SSG in SIGIL running on DosBox:

ssg1.png.612a132955963dcf78ea7cd67c09976d.pngssg2.png.f855582ad268264805ef1309b8861f97.png

ssg3.png.c31ed42157aadad0ae70a670de5bb3cc.png

But honestly, I don't think that SSG is a killer feature in SIGIL, without which couldn't be game done.

1. There is simply not enough shotgun ammo in maps, so if you drain easly shells with standard shutgun, you drain it twice as fast with SSG. Besides, Cacos and Barons of Hell are bullet sponges no matter what (Hell Knight is D2 asset). Maybe even more with SSG, so multiply it with factor of 4.
  2. SIGIL is darker than Ultimate Doom episodes. You don't simply see what are you shooting at. Miss few times and good luck with pistol against Baron. 

Only thing I can think of is Pinkie. Is nice to have SSG on them. But as I said, I don't think it is such a killer feature. See for yourself.

I received my Beast Box and noticed something weird. The box is #303 but my Limited Run Sigil card says #364? I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

I haven't unpacked it yet. Hopefully it isn't missing anything. That really sucks to be missing items or having items loose in the box.

The number on the Limited Run Card does say nothing. Both of mine, for standard and beast box say 365, but my beast box is number 0848.

5 hours ago, AnotherGrunt said:

There is simply not enough shotgun ammo in maps, so if you drain easly shells with standard shutgun, you drain it twice as fast with SSG. Besides, Cacos and Barons of Hell are bullet sponges no matter what (Hell Knight is D2 asset). Maybe even more with SSG, so multiply it with factor of 4.

Not sure where you're getting this idea from - The SSG shoots 20 pellets, whereas the standard shotgun shoots only 7, making the SSG almost 1.5x more ammo efficient assuming the thing you're shooting has enough health to warrant the shot in the first place (e.g. not shooting a lone zombieman with the SSG). Also the ability to kill baron's and caco's much quicker will heavily impact the gameplay, it essentially divides the monster's ability to zone you backwards (something done often in Sigil's immensely cramped levels) as well, because you can kill them much faster mitigating their purpose in these maps to an extent.

Well, then just try. It still seems to me, that Baron has to eat shotgun ammo for breakfast or what, no matter what you shoot at him.

6 hours ago, AnotherGrunt said:

There is simply not enough shotgun ammo in maps, so if you drain easly shells with standard shutgun, you drain it twice as fast with SSG.

That's weird....cuz I didn't had issues with ammo, unless that I manage the ammo better, like using berserk and chaingun to save ammo or try to make the monsters infight. There are lots of tactics to save ammo at critical moments and also, try to find the secrets. The secrets are really useful for that pinch. 

You can even try to ignore the monsters if you can...

The point is that the levels of SIGIL were designed for DOOM's bestiary and arsenal. Adding a super shotgun into the mix, which is indeed more powerful per unit of ammo and probably also faster (per damage delivered) is likely to upset this balance. You can view it as cheating, or merely as playing on a lower skill level.

You can also view it as playing your preferred style and not giving a shit about other people's judgements on gameplay

On 6/21/2019 at 4:02 AM, Average said:

^

Yeah.  The Romero head figurine was rattling around the box so I presumed the coin had just slipped under the foam so I emptied the box.  I contacted LRG right away.  Haven't heard back yet, though.

It makes me wonder if those sealed boxes that are being flipped are all intact.  Can you imagine spending megabucks on a box only to find it wasn't complete years down the line?

That would be horrible. Buying one a decade later for a lot of money then actually opening it and it's missing something...Might as well just keep it sealed the whole time tbh.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:14 AM, D88M3R said:

In E5M2 i had to use a guide AND cheats to get to the secrets. I just had to use the guide again to find all the secrets in E5M3 except the one with the automap...

I have not played the original Dooms in ages, but i can clearly remember that at least most of the secrets made sense if you used your brain and if you paid attention and tried hard enough.

Here, they dont make ANY kind of sense, and you cannot even get to them most of the time, and there is not even a clue to where they are, you have to know where they are in advance, which of course is ridiculous. It really is detracting from the experience to me, not only searching all the level to find nothing but having to minimize it constantly the game to consult on the internet just to find out that the secrets are in the craziest of places. Wtf.

I totally get what Romero is trying to do here, but one thing is going "old school all the way", and another one is this thing, which is completely different and lefts me puzzled about what the hell was he thinking.

I am enjoying everything, the level design, the MIDI music, the "unfair" set pieces, the atmosphere/ambience, but this thing with the secrets is really confusing, and i even find hard to believe that any player of the WAD has actually found all the secrets in each level without a guide/cheats.

I am baffled.

I am just quitting it for now and playing it again in some days, i actually just loaded the game because i was not in the mood to watch any movie or play a more complex game, so i just thought to myself to keep playing my dear old Doom, to actually escape for a little while of a lot of problems that have been going on lately, and i find this and it actually did not helped my mood at all. I am gonna go watch some Duckman instead -i have never watched it before and i recommend it- i think to get a laugh at least.

Yeah, if you haven't played Doom in a long, long time SIGIL will come off as being pretty hard, especially on UV, as most levelsets are nowadays. I think most people who play a lot of modern WADs and a lot of slaughter style mapsets probably found SIGIL relatively easy but people who don't play a lot of newer WAD's or slaughter WAD's (such as myself) found it to be pretty damn hard. But that's what the difficulty settings are for ;)

(yes i know that SIGIL is not a slaughter-style WAD but i find that a lot of players who tend to play slaughter maps are really good Doom players)

On 6/22/2019 at 5:21 AM, NightFright said:

If i would of bought one, that's exactly what i would do with it as well. Just keep it sealed. I probably would have also bought the standard one and opened that one whilst keeping the big Beast Box sealed, so i could have the chance to open at least one of 'em.

I don't get people complaining about the difficulty of Sigil. I've just beaten it on UV almost 100 % & had no issues with it.

It had some challenging moments but nothing over the top.

I love Onemandoom's review of Sigil, it's easily the best read so far. I didn't notice the secrets in E5M1 are probably referring to the main areas of E5M8. Also he emphasizes how tight the design is, and how every level is thematic. I wish we had more mapsets with such concept. I mean where every level has a different visual and/or play narrative.

20 hours ago, Vesperas_ said:

I received my Beast Box and noticed something weird. The box is #303 but my Limited Run Sigil card says #364? I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this?

I haven't unpacked it yet. Hopefully it isn't missing anything. That really sucks to be missing items or having items loose in the box.

20 hours ago, cybdmn said:

The number on the Limited Run Card does say nothing. Both of mine, for standard and beast box say 365, but my beast box is number 0848.

All LRG games always come with a card like this (since 6/2017, check last paragraph here). You can sometimes see these if you look for other LRG releases on eBay, such as Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. The number on the card is the LRG catalog/release number for Sigil. (see 4th column and onwards in this list) [it isn't, it's just the card's number]

Also, this went for "only" 505 euros + shipping, wtf?! Did the hype start fizzling out already or is it because the seller was from Europe? On the positive side if it's not going to sell for over 1000€ anymore maybe I will not have to feel like an idiot if I keep the box instead of flipping it. :)

Edited by xttl

On 6/23/2019 at 11:09 AM, cybdmn said:

7 hours ago, xttl said:

All LRG games always come with a card like this (since 6/2017, check last paragraph here). You can sometimes see these if you look for other LRG releases on eBay, such as Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. The number on the card is the LRG catalog/release number for Sigil. (see 4th column and onwards in this list) [it isn't, it's just the card's number]

I see. Thanks for the info. I just assumed it was an authentication card and it should match your box number. I'm not sure why.

Overall, I'm very happy with the box. Everything is nicely put together. The Romero head was loose in mine as well but nothing was damaged. It's much bigger than I thought it would be. It's slightly taller than the Arch-Vile and Cyberdemon miniatures.

I've been having trouble getting Sigil to work on GZDoom 4.1.3x64. It runs and plays just fine, except switches and doors don't seem to work. I noticed it in E5M1, right after killing a caco that rises from a lava pit, you have a door to your left. That didn't open when trying to use it or shoot it. Then I dropped to the lava and the switches that I guess should lower the platforms for you to get back up also didn't work. Has anyone had this problem? Do you guys know how to fix it? I tried running the wad on GZDoom 3.7.2x64 too but the problem's still there. Thank you in advance.

Don't know if this is the best place to post this, sorry if it's not.