Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Things in modern gaming that you dislike

10 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

What do you mean by this?

Excessive hand holding. Enemies having crazy way low damage in many games. Non-stop tutorials or NPCs telling me how am supposed to solve something. Anything along that line of thought.

15 hours ago, Szuran said:

Can you elaborate?

Generally the beforehand complained about crafting systems. Very few games have a crafting system that matters, usually it is just to stamp "we got crafting" on the game's marketing pitch. Others include systems that appear a few times but do practically nothing because either the devs forgot about them or scrapped them but won't admit it. Example : Left 4 Dead 2 dynamic maps being just a few doors that get locked or opened, usually with no impact at all. Diseases in Oxygen not Included which almost never triggers and if they do they basically have no impact.

Guest Unregistered account

I'm not sure if this really counts as it isn't a feature and hasn't happened to most recent titles, but the eventual shutdown of multiplayer servers for games. I mean, I can understand why it happens to an extent, but it just means that so many games proudly display a feature that no longer works, makes them feel even more antiquated and more lonely.

PC games with an interface designed to be played with a controller, on a screen three meters away from you. No, I don't need the game's smallest font to be size 48; and yes, I would actually like to see more than four items at once when I look at my inventory.

Being nickel-and-dimed to death by dozens upon dozens of DLCs. I'd rather get a few major expansions than have to install separately three hundred official minimods.

Always online stuff. That one is an automatic hard pass from me.

12 hours ago, Maser said:

Modern games are just too easy and have no real "game over".  The games auto save like every step you take and there's no consequence for being a shitty player.  Hell, games like GTA5 actually reward you for playing shitty.  

I agree. That's why I love the Build Engine games. Those were games that wanted you to earn their challenge.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

PC games with an interface designed to be played with a controller, on a screen three meters away from you. No, I don't need the game's smallest font to be size 48; and yes, I would actually like to see more than four items at once when I look at my inventory.

Being nickel-and-dimed to death by dozens upon dozens of DLCs. I'd rather get a few major expansions than have to install separately three hundred official minimods.

Always online stuff. That one is an automatic hard pass from me.

Try Forza Motorsport 7, where the game, which most players will play with three different input devices (wheel/gamepad, keyboard, mouse), is only designed to listen to one at any time, leading to all sorts of hilariously frustrating and idiotic inconveniences because the game "helpfully" switches control schemes every time you use a different input. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Here's a few issues I usually run into with modern gaming:

1 - Excessive detail. I HATE it when games need to add like a million polygons to a tree so that every single leaf can move independently; or having textures so detailed I can see every skin cell on my character's face. It just chugs my PC and I usually have to lower most of my settings so my PC doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner on turbo.

2 - Poor level design. Quite often (especially with FPS games) I can't find out where I am going. The amount of times I've looped in on myself because of how cluttered some maps are confuses me. Just clear the path, give me some subtle hints and stop adding more boxes to this hallway. It doesn't need it.

3 - Open world. why... Sure the fall-out games work for open worlds but not every game needs to be so expansive. Linearity isn't a bad thing.

4 - The excessive push for multiplayer. Nintendo is still, despite most of their flaws, my number one favourite console developers and game publishers (for console). Most of their games still are off-line and don't force me to connect to the internet or have like 80% of it's attention focused on the multiplayer aspect (COD especially has this issue).

5 - Cutscenes. Cutscenes everywhere.

6 - Streaming only future. I do not like where this is going. If I don't have internet for a day or two that means I can't play a quick game of, for example, DooM 7? (I know we're on 5 but I'm talking further in the future).

7 - L A U N C H E R S. So far we have Steam, Origin, U-Play, EPIC (Fail) Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, etc... I don't bother with half of these. If it's not on Steam or GOG, I probably wont bother playing it. I don't want half of my hard drive filled with launchers.

Aaand that's about it. Probably missed one or two tangents but meh. :P

Going 100% on realism. Doing 0% simulation. What's the point of hyper realistic coffee machines if shooting it just plays a generic "you hit an object" sound? Fucking generic concrete bullethole textures badly pasted on that poor coffee machine...

Also @DynamiteKaitorn... about open world games. Open world games need either more "open space" or less activities. Goddamn I hate this "modern" era of open worlds that feel more like Disney Land than a warzone. Why is my minimap covered in activity icons? Look at FarCry 2, look at Breath of the Wild... they all have an overabundance of "empty" space.

Empty space in an open world game is like movement space in Doom. You need it, it's good for gameplay.

Perhaps what we really need now is games to be innovative and unique again, in addition to developers doing what they want to do and stop following what's the big thing at the moment and stop recycling ideas and formulas established by others ad infinitum.

This is probably why certain issues are so present and easy to notice.

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

6 - Streaming only future.

Honestly, IMO as long as traditional gaming is not going anywhere I'm really looking forward to this,though there are some problems that come with it. Gonna be a decent alternative for us folks who don't have 1000$+ to spend on gaming hardware.

-Graphics that make the game hard to see or concentrate such as excessive bloom, motion blur or other filtering. If i'm too distracted by the environments or if the game is just too dark, then it's really easy for me to lose concentration or just have a hard time playing.

Also i always say gameplay over graphics. I don't mind easier games with checkpoints and what not but when they are just a graphical showcase with no gameplay at all then that's where i draw the line.

Also multi-player only games (unless it's Quake 3/UT or something to that extent). I don't like Battle Royales either nor do i play MOBA's so my gaming is fairly limited.

-Paying for an online service for consoles. I don't have many modern consoles (X360, a broken PS3, & an Xbone which i rarely use) but why should i pay for internet when i'm already paying for it in the first place?

- Steam

- The Doom (2016) DVD. What use has it when I still have to DL 50 G??

- The Shit that happened with CARMAGEDDON

On 6/23/2019 at 8:06 AM, FractalBeast said:

Open world games need either more "open space" or less activities. Goddamn I hate this "modern" era of open worlds that feel more like Disney Land than a warzone. Why is my minimap covered in activity icons? Look at FarCry 2, look at Breath of the Wild... they all have an overabundance of "empty" space.

That's because tons of people complained about open worlds with nothing to do.

Open worlds with nothing to do are also bad. The crammed ones are bad because all they offer is busywork, nothing that matters in any way, and 'outposts' you conquer are usually lazily designed. Why take effort if you can just say "you can approach it any way you want"? This approach to game design is one of its biggest flaws.

23 minutes ago, unpleasantmarine said:

of course a forum for a game from 1993 has a thread on why modern games are bad

What a useful contribution to the topic.

I have only one thing that I don't like about modern games. There are too many buttons. I'm too dumb to handle that many buttons.

I really like games in NES, besides directions, I just have to deal with 2 main buttons. Or I really like Doom, it's just directions, numbers, fire, and use (Occasionally SR50, but that's supposed to be difficult).

43 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I have only one thing that I don't like about modern games. There are too many buttons. I'm too dumb to handle that many buttons.

But I think that depends more on the game rather than an issue with modern gaming as a whole.

3 hours ago, Szuran said:

The crammed ones are bad because all they offer is busywork, nothing that matters in any way

It's not supposed to, It's optional side content for people who don't get enough of the main stuff.

4 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

I really like games in NES, besides directions, I just have to deal with 2 main buttons. Or I really like Doom, it's just directions, numbers, fire, and use (Occasionally SR50, but that's supposed to be difficult).

System Shock 1 tho bro.

"Lemme crouch sidestrafe left while hanging to the right..."

On 6/23/2019 at 2:12 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Here's a few issues I usually run into with modern gaming:

1 - Excessive detail. I HATE it when games need to add like a million polygons to a tree so that every single leaf can move independently; or having textures so detailed I can see every skin cell on my character's face. It just chugs my PC and I usually have to lower most of my settings so my PC doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner on turbo.

That's precisely why graphics settings exist :P I will complain about games with poor optimization/graphics options though. People love to throw around Crysis as a benchmark tool, but the only reason it is a benchmark tool is because it's horribly optimized. I'm very glad DOOM 2016 did not follow this example; if you have a powerful system, the game looks amazing and uses everything it can; if you have a weaker system, it still runs well on lower settings while not looking like minecraft. I hope DOOM Eternal follows suite.

As for my own complaints, the strongest ones I have:

1 - Every game having half-assed RPG or Crafting mechanics. The former is often a thing added to just to stretch the game length, the latter because it can be advertised without having much in game consequences.

2 - Every game being open world for the sake of being open world. Even many good games (like Spider-Man or Red Dead 2) are open world when they dont need to be, and would benefit from being more linear. If you want to make a game open world, it should be designed from the ground up in this way (like Morrowind or The Witcher 3). It is possible to make a game "open" without being open world; The Dark Souls series is the perfect modern realization of this idea, and more games should copy it to avoid linearity without being open world.

3 - Not giving enough creative control to the developers. It seems like too many games have their vision hurt because the publisher meddles too much to appeal to everyone (see open world point above). In that respect, more games should follow Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice; Activision gave FromSoft full creative control, and it was all the better for it. It has its problems, but none of them feel like it they were trying to fulfill an obligation. The game sold extremely well, so I hope other publishers take notice.

4 Trying to use video games to imitate movies too much. Even Metal Gear Solid, the game that arguably started this trend, is still very much a game. Games like Uncharted should really have been a movie or TV show/mini-series. Even if you want a strong narrative focus in your game, use the unique advantages of video games as a medium; games like Half-Life and Silent Hill 2 are good examples of this.

5 - Trying to rush a game out to meet a deadline. I'd rather have a solid, complete game in 1 year than an incomplete game now. Breath of the Wild was a delayed a year or so IIRC, and it came out all the better for it.

6 - Lack of new IPs. Not every game or idea needs to be shoe-horned into a pre-existing IP. Experiment with new ones more!

7 - Games that have to be released every year, like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

The battle royale craze really needs to go away.  Not every game needs to be one!  I lost all hope when I saw Tetris is now a battle royale! 

- Gimmick shit in FPS games, where wow effect of first look and one or two limited features is everything good in this game. Bulletstorm is perfect example of this sort of games.

- Fan service. All sorts of this.

- Non sexual women, especially like ugly toads in Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Mans are main auditory of video games. Respect you consumers, not feminists.

- Pay2Win.

- Grind.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:35 AM, DoomGater said:

-Steam

I don't know, considering Steam is a surprisingly great, and the fact they're more than happy to not neglect retro games either. And also, Summer Sale!

2 hours ago, qdash said:

- Non sexual women, especially like ugly toads in Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Mans are main auditory of video games. Respect you consumers, not feminists.

Is this serious?

2 hours ago, qdash said:

I don't even know where to start

22 hours ago, qdash said:

Ah, so don't give the fans what they want. Unless it's over-sexualised women.

If men are the main audience of video games are men, the less games encourage this sort of attitude the better.

Edited by holaareola

I can't overstate how much I hate this crap.

Spoiler

obraz.png.88406075f6448d13cf6a767a57bd0452.png

Spoiler

obraz.png.5a7f438f77fe759edc1b153b75f3fc77.png

Don't know what' I'm talking about? I swear, in 10 last modern games I played enemies BLEED NUMBERS. I simply despise it. No better way to remind me it's all artificial, basically a glorified excel sheet.

23 hours ago, qdash said:

- Gimmick shit in FPS games, where wow effect of first look and one or two limited features is everything good in this game. Bulletstorm is perfect example of this sort of games.

- Pay2Win.

- Grind.

>complains about fanservice
>wants big tiddie girls only

You can't make this shit up. We live in a society. Gangweed. *dabs excessively while demons drag him under*

3 hours ago, Szuran said:

I can't overstate how much I hate this crap.

Hide contents

obraz.png.88406075f6448d13cf6a767a57bd0452.png

Hide contents

obraz.png.5a7f438f77fe759edc1b153b75f3fc77.png

Don't know what' I'm talking about? I swear, in 10 last modern games I played enemies BLEED NUMBERS. I simply despise it. No better way to remind me it's all artificial, basically a glorified excel sheet.

This isn't new. Games like TF2 had them. And yea I hate them too; If I don't see myself hitting someone with a projectile weapon I definitely shouldn't know how much damage I actually did. All it encourages is zerging people down.