Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Mighty G

How you play DOOM

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

No point in using DOSBox over Chocolate Doom. It is cool to have you dos dir mounted as C: and browse via DOSBox but gameplay-wise fuck it.

Maybe not for Doom, but sucks to be me since I like Dagerfall and the only way to run it (as far as I'm aware) is DOSBox.

Also, answering the OP, well:

• For gameplay mods/advanced format WADs, pre-4.0 GZDoom versions are my go-to choice.
  • For vanilla gameplay, defenitely PRBoom+/Crispy Doom.

2 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

I can't stand trying to use DOSBox, maybe it's because I didn't mess around with computers at all until the late life of Vista and therefore don't understand DOS.

This is most definitely the case, and is nothing to be ashamed of. It should encourage you to know that there exist plenty of DOSBox front-ends, both generic and game-specific, that abstract away all the DOS UI and present a nice clean interface where the game is launched with an optimized config file from a standard desktop shortcut (Windows/Linux). In fact, all DOS games sold in GoG (and probably via Steam as well) are configured this way.

1 hour ago, xvertigox said:

No point in using DOSBox over Chocolate Doom.

I'd say the above is true for Crispy Doom (which has 640x400 high res and removes limits). Otherwise you are stuck with 320x200 which looks horrible on large LCDs and the original vanilla limits. Of course that's the whole point of Chocolate, but had Crispy Doom not existed, most gamers would probably prefer MBF over DOSBox for practicality.

These days is play on my mobile phone with Delta Touch, which packages a number of different source ports together (GZDoom, Zandronum, Prboom+, Chocolate Doom, Doom Retro).

I've really taken to using Doom Retro if the maps are vanilla/boom compatible.

I love it's adherence to vanilla while throwing in a few extras like moving liquid sectors, blood drops, etc. It makes Doom feel nice and crunchy while still feeling fast, smooth, and responsive.

I'll use GZDoom if the mapset has modern requirements like ACS, slopes, dynamic lighting, etc. Although I tend to prefer mapsets that do not try to do a huge amount of fancy modern stuff.

If I play on my laptop (MacBook) I use GZDoom as it tends to play the nicest with macOS.

3 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Also, answering the OP, well:

• For gameplay mods/advanced format WADs, pre-4.0 GZDoom versions are my go-to choice.
  • For vanilla gameplay, defenitely PRBoom+/Crispy Doom.

So can someone give me the pitch for Crispy Doom?

14 hours ago, xvertigox said:

By moving my head to dodge projectiles.

I'm very glad to see I am not the only person who moves their head in real life to (try to) dodge projectiles. 

Ugh...this is always an odd question for me as i'm extremely picky about how my mouse feels but i've just come to the conclusion that my Windows 7 acts weird (not to mention it's quite an old installation) so the only port that actually feels right to me is GZDoom.

So i just use the latest GZDoom now usually set to regular software mode with freelook disabled and i set everything to mimic vanilla as close as possible. When i eventually upgrade to Windows 10 (that is when i actually get money to build a new "rig") then i'll probably start using the other ports again such as Chocolate/Crispy Doom, Eternity, PrBoom+ ect.

I can actually use PrBoom+/GLBoom+ still but i do experience screen tearing and with v-sync turned on i experience desync/lag so i only use it when needed.

But yeah, i prefer more of an old-school look but with modern controls i suppose.

8 hours ago, unpleasantmarine said:

There is a Windows port of MBF which you may find more convinient than dosbox

You may find it more convenient; I have no problems with DOSBox as I grew in the DOS era. ;)

As I said, if I'm playing in Windows, I'll probably use a port with true 3D and better graphics. Also it looks like WinMBF is based on 2.03 and does not include the various fixes in 2.04. But what's the value of WinMBF when there is already PrBoom+?

Prboom+ for singleplayer and Eternity (Banana fork) for splitscreen coop on PC. Prboom+ within Delta Touch on the tablet, I have a gamepad for it, but I'm used to the touch controls.

Also, a custom soundfont, hd sounds, a dehacked for psx/64 behavior (slower revenants and less HP for lost souls) and sprite replacement for the blood drops and the Hell Knight, because a palette swap in a small roster like doom's is boring.

Edited by DANZA

GZDoom and PRBoom+ are my preferred ports. PRBoom+ is mostly used for the IWADs and any "old" PWADs. I use GZDoom for almost anything released after Scythe 2, even if the WAD doesn't require any G/ZDoom features. It just feels "right" to use a modern source port for a modern WAD, but that just applies to me. 

I will usually play in GZDOOM, with all extra graphical effects removed. I run everything in software renderer, in 4:3 resolution on a 1080p TV I use as a computer monitor. I don't like the 'filter' mode. Makes me think there's vaseline all over my glasses' lenses... :P

I'll play by default in UV, on most anything - unless the author explicitly recommends against it.

In terms of 'everyday' mods - i'll usually run SmoothDoom, (w/ only the smoothed animations enabled) as well as Jimmy's Jukebox, if I'm playing a level-pack, episode, or megaWAD.

In terms of controls, I use the WASD position w/ a modern gaming mouse, w/ only 'horizontal mouse-look' enabled.

I like CrispyDoom on occasion, for when I fire up my old levels discs. :)

i play gzdoom (with nearest trilinear filtering thank god), smooth doom, sound caulking and mostly difficulty hey not too rough cause i suck at doom

and prboom/chocolate when im testing a boom/vanilla wad i make

Edited by unpleasantmarine

I used to use a lot of source ports: ZDoom, GZDoom, Chocolate Doom, PRBoom+, DOSBox.

Now I really just use GZDoom, with all that blurriness turned off. Give me pixellation or give me death. For real classic Dooming, GZDoom with Vanilla Essence works a treat. And PRBoom+ for demos and such.

Rockband controller.

In all seriousness, I play with Brutal Doom only now. Before that it was like Skulltag for a decade, before that Win95 Doom.

ZDoom LE the most, then Crispy Doom/Marshmallow Doom, sometimes Eternity and extremely infrequently PrBoom.

And LZDoom if a mod absolutely requires it but otherwise i rather use ZDoom LE.

When playing with GZDoom, I use the software renderer in almost all cases. It's a much more faithful experience because it's not trying to produce the Doom look through the modern 3D graphics pipeline, which is based on the transformation and rasterization of 3D polygons (a method consistent with Quake's renderer, but not with Doom's). With the software renderer (selectable in the options), you will always get crispy unfiltered textures, the 256 color palette with the banded lighting that darkens outward from the player, and sprites that don't clip into the floor. Only a select few community maps I've played require hardware acceleration to run fast enough.

i'm just a casual doomer and go with the most popular. gzdoom it is. obviously unfiltered textures.  i feel sorry for the players who use the standard filtered settings and everything just looks blurred and awful. although, some of the up-scaling algorithms look ok'ish. but why bother when you can have glorious pixels? i'm a purist and there's nothing more pure than pixels.

recently i found myself messing with some of the post processing options. like the lens distortion. it's not super noticeable but i tell myself it looks more like on an crt monitor. a while back i tried motion blur but it was either not noticeable at all or way too noticeable. 

i also like to use the dynamic light effects. i think it adds to the experience. ambient occlusion is pretty nice as well. 

I personally run the game with the softpoly render.  Gives me a nice mix of old and new (yes I use mouselook) without sacrificing too much of the original look and feel of the game. 

also, fyi: you can pretty much replicate a near identical vanilla look in gzdoom's hardware renderer. you just need to tweak some options like the sector light mode under display/hardware and under postprocessing you set the tonemap to palette. imho as close as you can get while also using the hardware renderer. 

ZDL launching GZDoom with Smooth Doom, Bolognese and Bolognese colour fix by default. Smooth Doom is dropped if custom weapons are needed. 

I like the gore mods because I enjoy the extra punch they give to the gunplay. 

I play everything on desktop.

If .wad is vanilla or limit-removing I play it with Doom+.exe thru dosbox.

Otherwise I use ZDoom instead of prboom-plus, because I like native dos resolution and non-smooth non-interpolated screen refresh (it looks and feels more authentic).

Keyboard-only controls, saves allowed (not so often))

PrBoom+ for most full megawad playthroughs.

GZDoom for advanced map packs/TCs and mods.

Any of the 3 C/S ports are good for me for multiplayer, I just join whatever server looks fun and has players at the time.

I'm still on ZDoom 2.7.1, I just downloaded it in 2014 or something and didn't think about updates or anything.

The most important thing though is that I have the right MIDI sounds. I was used to the Xbox versions that had the patches from the Gravis Ultrasound, so I managed to get that working with Timidity++ after hours of googling and not understanding any of the mumbo jumbo haha. So many tracks sound super cool with those patches but very dull and uninspiring with the normal general MIDI sounds.

PRBoom+ for:

- Vanilla-style gameplay with minor enhancements such as higher resolutions and MP3 music, as well as playing any Boom-compatible WADs.

GZDoom for:

- A modernized experience.

And for multiplayer, i go for Zandronum + Doom Explorer for browsing servers.