Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Deadly Standards 3 - a Episode 3 Community Project with a twist (idgames ready!)

I'll take it! Glad it's not too late!!!! I already have ideas of what level(s) I wanna redux from memory - would it be alright if two layouts partially made their way in? Like someone might say, "Oh hellish E1M2" but than recognize another major area as another map. HERE'S a sampler of what's to come - it's intneded to have 'SINISTER' as a song and can be pistol-started or played through the episode proper....

standardsE3M9b.png.16de531c802e77423e497a8325731914.pngstandardsE3M9a.png.f74c5c9630e30a4a2a0becefa0e75d6c.png

standardsE3M9.zip

Edited by ShadesMaster : Actual upload!

17 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

T_T well, if that's your decision, go on.

@ShadesMaster i'll give you this slot, if you are still interested in this project....

I'll playtest this at least. I promise. And give feedback. :)

I thought I could do this but after I put some thought on it, it doesn't work out.

That's why I stepped out as earlier as possible, so others can get the slot that have time & will to map.

Really cool looking from what i see from the pics you posted,ShadesMaster! It resembles a lot of modern romero maps (well, it's already a romero map, so... it goes full circle?)

11 hours ago, ShadesMaster said:

would it be alright if two layouts partially made their way in? Like someone might say, "Oh hellish E1M2" but than recognize another major area as another map.

Sure, it's a nice idea. Go ahead.

EDIT: Tested right now the sneak peek you posted (ah, for everyone wants to try it too, i'll suggest to rename the filename from standardse3m9.wad.backup1 to standardse3m9.wad), you made a pretty cool work, i don't find any game-breaking problems, just a pair of slime trials at the broken riffs... but overall is pretty cool! Keep up!

Edited by Walter confetti

I'm gonna have to drop out, I haven't been able to get my map going at all, but i'm gonna give you guys a solid idea of what I had in mind:

- A map that starts with a void hub with gateways

- Each gateway leads to a different theme

I don't want to force myself to map heh, after I finally release Reliving the End on /idgames this coming week, i'm gonna retire temporarily from mapping. I think what it comes down to is, i've been making the same style of maps for a long time where no matter what I try to do, I end up making the same style of the map. I need time to just, not think about touching any sort of doom editors, someday i'll be ready to make a comeback with something seriously fresh.

Interesting idea, Alter! This could be good for a collab map of some sorts, if anyone is interested i could even put in the rules list!

Anyway no problem, i'll free your slot...

E3M9shades.png.cdc4ecaf96f8bcb3681cc99c651dd455.png

Latest version. Not much through the red door path proper, but the side areas where the computer maze was is now a puzzle to get the BFG. And of course inspired by Pandemonium. Essentially, you need to access multiple prior secrets and do things in a certain order or the BFG remains inaccessible.

standardsE3M9.zip

My map is completed.
Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5d1st2n2b1d7zc9/sevrealm.zip

"Severed Realm" by riderr3
E3M6 replacement for Deadly Standards 3 Community Project

Advanced engine needed: Limit-Removing
Music: growls_then_bites.mid from LauraMIDI pack
Map: E3M6
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative: Yes
Deathmatch: Yes
Difficulty Settings: Yes
Other files required: ds3-gfx.wad
Build Time: 12 days
Editor(s) used: GZDoomBuilder-bugfix, SLADE3, WadSpy
Tested With: PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4
Description: You stepped into Severed Realm's main entrance. The sun was shining and scorching heat was radiating from the sky under your feet...

@ShadesMaster
A few feedback.

1) I'd say you probably forgot to add exit door trigger, it's seems not reachable.
2) Plasmagun fast crusher is imminent for player. Maybe raise the ceiling.

3) Slow red key crusher is absolute deadly and unpredictable. Maybe also raise it's ceiling and put some of corpses under the crusher to warn the player about the danger.
4) East teleporters which leads right into red key crusher are not good idea. For my 70+ maps I made, I never use tricks like teleporting inside the crusher.
5) Sector 154 later being unaccessible. What do most of players? They will retreat from baron for green armor and jump down, now path is closed. Maybe add trigger to lower sector 154.

6) BFG is not really helpful because no encounters after it.

7) I suppose that shotgunner are placed intentionally inside the crack. If so, leave him there.
8) And yes map needs new name. Many inspiration comes from name. Those who don't have ideas used map doom map name generators, even I sometimes.

9) I think it would be nice to add a midi music that fits into the atmosphere of Doom 1.
10) On a positive sides I like texture choice.

Edited by riderr3

Thanx a bunch! The map's still not done and I've already added progressiom on my version, hence the sealed exit. And fixed the in-crack shotgunner. It's ibtended to use 'Sinister' aka E2M6 music, so 'idmus26' to hear what it should be. ;)

So the BFG will have a purpose later on - let alone for the rest of the episode if it's the only one or at least you get it earlier here than otherwise - and I can for sure follow the 'raise-ceiling' and 'mark with deco' crusher suggestions. The purpose of the outdoors secret is to get the red key b4  you even activate the crusher at all, tho I'll change it to a fast crusher so it's fair if u teleport into it if already active.

The 'raised sector trap' is so the BFG is a puzzle, and u haveta do things in a specific order to get it. After clearing out the red baron trap by the short skull lift, head back, nab the rad suit from the lava pit to the right of whwn u enter the red door, than get the blue key in the earlier lava area with dual crushers. Only then, go back to the 'Pandemonium' area and ride the blue-door skull lift up to the red alcove; the floor doesn't go back down. Behind the door, that switch raises the bar that blocks the BFG in the nukage maze. Now, ride thr eye-switch lift up, get the pinkys as the floor blocks you in, run past the baron and hug the nukage maze to the right. Your suit will run out just as you escape the pit and BFG the baron. :D

11 hours ago, riderr3 said:

This is a really nice map.

Couple of Things: I can jump out of a window to snag the plasma rifle, but then I am stuck.  Its not bad per se, but you might throw a fence on the window to stop player movement.  Every other route proved awesome to initially take, except the one that lead me to be stuck. I dunno.

BOSS Monster: Impeccable placement that really put the phobia in me.  But am I supposed to be able to kill it? I didnt see much opportunity for infighting and I was spent on most of my ammo. Is there a telefrag setup or did i miss something in the secrets?

Again, a very worthy Mt. Erebus replacement.  Mad props.

A pair of FDAs for both maps without exit and with lots of death, recorded with RUDE (a chocolate-doom fork, but you easily play it on chocolate-doom or prboom complevel 3, i guess): fda-walt-ds3.zip

I've get lost and didn't knew where to go on riderr3 map and i find this weird black step thing heavily misaligned, but over this pretty great maps guys!

dM88lzo.png

@Walter confetti
I watched the demo. Check your mouse and controls settings, because there is something seriously wrong with them. I see how you tried get to outside "tech building" and small lift inside a zillion times and give up later (also there is a rising catwalk appeared later, this path is essential to get blue key). Looks like player moving slower that usual "run", and something with mouse turns. Myself I especially launched my map and did all steps at once without any problems, with PrBoom+. I may a bit raise those heights to give more time, anyways.

The black step not counting as bug. That's only problem of authors of RUDE sourceport as choco fork, not counting as limit-removing bug (it's a vanilla bug).

I may add few more rockets inside pyramid and move berserk to more near location.

Edited by riderr3

Oh, i see... Thanks for the answer, i'll try at it again on my pc (i used my laptop for testing the maps)...

However, how's other people going with this project? I know NeedHealth and Roofi are making their maps but now they are on hiatus, not sure what other people are doing on this...

@Walter confetti

Way too hot in my father land right now to work on doom maps.

Also I found a new subtle way in which my laptop is failing - hear me out: I'm starting to take full damage from monsters way too often and not dealing enough to them. It is skewed. This is noticeable because the ammo in my standard 2 map suddenly isn't enough but it was when Roofi playtested it on stream ( the vod is gone from twitch).

I will still try to work on the map design for my 3m1 when the weather cools down Just not thing placement. I have loads of ideas.

Did I mention buying a new laptop?

Eh, even from me there's something like 30/32 degrees celsius and will get even more hotter in the next week... so i know your pain.

Anyway good luck with your laptop and the other things... Take your time!

I updated my map.

V2 changes:
-added one extra rocket box in the pyramid
-slightly raised heights lifts of tech building outside, for sake of accessibility
-berserk moved to near location, comp. map moved to that secret area to give small hint where the secret exit
-fixed early access to plasmagun, added bars
-one more radsuit is added, though you need a find this secret area

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1yyb739gy27f7v7/sevrealm_v2.zip/file

Getting the whip out already Walter :-P

I've started a few bits on my map, going for a Sigil inspired level, so we will see where this takes me.

Screenshots in a few weeks possibly.

@Walter confetti

I haven't been able to start my map yet, and it be another month or so before I'll be able to.

If that is a longer horizon than you wanted, please let me know and I'll free up the map slot for someone with more free time at the moment.