Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jeremixh

Level 1 or MAP01?

for instance, you're making a DeHackEd patch, and you would either wanna have your HUSTRS as level 1 or MAP01, the first thing off the doom 2 maps is level 1, in my opinion, i say using MAP have a great touch for prBoom or glBoom automaps cause i thought about it, and said hey, having maps called "level", they're still levels that i completely understand but having them as "MAP" would be great, but also, having them as "level" is a mandatory thing, but it's my opinion, you can bring down your opinions about it.

PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4 6_25_2019 11_47_03 AM.png

PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4 6_25_2019 11_47_55 AM.png

Edited by Jeremixh

Uhh what? I'm lost.

On a related note, how did you get it to read as LEVEL 1? I need to know, because I've only ever seen MAP.

"Level 1" is more understandable and looks nicer. Only reason to have "map01" is if you really want your players to know how to warp to that map

In Doom they're maps. You have a level of difficulty.

If this is a dehacked patch for vanilla doom, then it is better to use the prefix MAP##: MAPNAME, or even ##: MAPNAME, in order to save space for the name of the new level, because vanilla doom does not allow to exceed the character limit. I ran into this problem in 2016.

But if for source-ports, then this rule is not necessary. For my latest Boom mapset I used Level ##: MAPNAME prefix.

17 hours ago, Nevander said:

Uhh what? I'm lost.

On a related note, how did you get it to read as LEVEL 1? I need to know, because I've only ever seen MAP.

That means you are probably using GZDoom. Vanilla Doom and PrBoom+ shows "Level".

Edited by riderr3

On 6/25/2019 at 6:44 PM, Nevander said:

Uhh what? I'm lost.

GZDoom shows only MAP01 instead of level 1, but prBoom can be shown as "level 1 or MAP01", the way how you would wanna work it. and it sounds like you've never played prBoom.. :/

Edited by Jeremixh

On 6/26/2019 at 11:43 AM, riderr3 said:

If this is a dehacked patch for vanilla doom, then it is better to use the prefix MAP##: MAPNAME, or even ##: MAPNAME, in order to save space for the name of the new level, because vanilla doom does not allow to exceed the character limit. I ran into this problem in 2016.

But if for source-ports, then this rule is not necessary. For my latest Boom mapset I used Level ##: MAPNAME prefix.

That means you are probably using GZDoom most times. Vanilla Doom and PrBoom+ shows "Level".

ever heard of the megawad, "The Journey"? play that in prBoom with the dehack file.

Edited by Jeremixh

Guest Unregistered account

It's level, even though everyone calls them maps. In the OG Doom 2 they're referred to as "Level X" but in various ports it's shown as "MAPXX".

I prefer "level" because that makes sense from a "game" point of view, and in a progression sense. A "map" is a technical term which is only used because Doom levels are top-down plans... aka maps. It wouldn't seem right to refer to them as maps in-game IMO.

Joke answer: It's neither "map" nor "level", it's "virtual installation".

Serious answer: If it was "level" then mappers would be called levellers.

Alright serious for real now: What geo said: We have maps to play in, and difficulty levels to choose from.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Serious answer: If it was "level" then mappers would be called levellers.

Ahh, but it's called level design, not map design!

Serious answer as well, though: Over the years I guess I've found myself referring to maps/levels based on whether or not they were part of a linear, chronological progression-type structure. For instance, I refer to Dota 2's map as, a map. I refer to Dust 2, Train, or Office as Counter-Strike maps. Yet, at the same time (unconsciously, really), I refer to The Pillar of Autumn as the first level of Halo CE, or Argent D'Nur as the last level of DOOM 2016. Classic Doom is one of the only instances I can think of, where I sort of flip back and forth between these terms willy nilly.

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

Most patches I've seen that replace the names just turn the automap title to "[NUMBER]: NAME" a la "1: Entryway" to save space.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:43 AM, riderr3 said:

That means you are probably using GZDoom. Vanilla Doom and PrBoom+ shows "Level".

That would explain it. Is there any way to make GZDoom use Level?

Currently not, remember that GZDoom needs to use the string for other purposes as well so it strips away the label before using it.