Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MassiveEdgelord

GZDoom is lagging.

Ok so like, I'm new to GZDoom and I'm starting to notice that it like, tends to lag quite a bit for me. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to like, stop it?

When you say "lag", I presume mean it has low FPS? How new is your PC?

GZDoom utilizes many modern graphical features that will tax older systems. Try turning off things like Dynamic Lights and any post processing effects to help speed things up. Lower resolutions work too, and all the usual things you would do with a modern game to speed up performance.

If you have a GPU that supports it, the new Vulkan renderer is faster than the classic OpenGL format too.

Just now, Bauul said:

When you say "lag", I presume mean it has low FPS? How new is your PC?

GZDoom utilizes many modern graphical features that will tax older systems. Try turning off things like Dynamic Lights and any post processing effects to help speed things up. Lower resolutions work too, and all the usual things you would do with a modern game to speed up performance.

If you have a GPU that supports it, the new Vulkan renderer is faster than the classic OpenGL format too.

My laptop uses windows 10 and is 64 bit.

A vague description like that covers a pretty wide range as far as PC specs are concerned, mind you. Just out of curiosity, have you looked into other source ports than GZdoom at all ? Which WAD file are you trying to play ?

Just now, Budoka said:

A vague description like that covers a pretty wide range as far as PC specs are concerned, mind you. Just out of curiosity, have you looked into other source ports than GZdoom at all ? Which WAD file are you trying to play ?

I'm just playing normal Ultimate DOOM. Which other source ports do you reccomend? I also have DOOM legacy.

You can try to switch to software rendering too, should have better performance than the opengl renders if your system isn't good with gzdoom opengl features.

Now on my system i find Zandronum and ZDoom (zdoom is available on the same website as gzdoom) have better performance on busy/large/monster full levels than GZDoom (both Zandronum and GZDoom are based on ZDoom before evolving their own ways) even on software render too, so maybe try either Zandro or ZDoom, the other advantage is that the majority of mods will also work on Zandro or ZDoom.

There's also PrBoom+ that is excellent and has much better performance than all the ZDoom based source ports on busy/large/monster full levels , the disadvantage is that it does not support any the Zdoom mods but if your system has trouble with the ZDoom based source port, it should have absolutely no problem at all with PrBoom+ on any doom megawads

actually, try them all! experimenting with various sourceports can be no less fun than playing wads, each sourceport has its own unique features. there are simply no "best sourceport", so it is hard to recommend one over another.

of course, if you're not in the mood to try 100500 sourceports, than @Fizanko basically nailed it.