Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eurisko

The Definitive DOOM run.

I'm going to do as a complete run as I can through the Doom series in a run up to Eternal's release. I'm wondering what titles would be considered - and I hate to use this word "Canon" or the essential games for such a run.

Obviously DOOM and and DOOM II to kick things off but what about the master levels , Final DOOM, DOOM 64 and even Sigil amongst others?

Opinions please.

Edited by Eurisko

Gonna bite here and post my list:

• DOOM (1993) - the fourth episode, Thy Flesh Consumed, I'd consider optional; and if played at all, play after DOOM II.
  • DOOM II
  • DOOM 64 (although not canon, DOOM 2016 makes reference to it)
  • DOOM (2016)

I'd say these are the important ones. Doom 3 and its expansions are okay, but their only relevance to the nu-DOOM as I can see is showing by example how different the approach is by the developers.

(Ultimate) Doom, Doom2, TNT_Evilution, Plutonia, Masterlevels, NRFTL, Sigil. Everything else is obsolete.

This is incredibly subjective so I think you're unlikely to get anything conclusive back... 

That being said, I think it depends if you want to play games that had original Id developers vs. games just published by Id. 

3 minutes ago, noisebloom said:

This is incredibly subjective so I think you're unlikely to get anything conclusive back... 

That being said, I think it depends if you want to play games that had original Id developers vs. games just published by Id. 

I Wouldn't say I'm looking for anything conclusive as such ( so the word 'definitive' in the title probably wasn't the best choice in retrospect) but to see what others consider as the essentials. 

I consider DoomWorld THE home of Doom fans who know their shit. No better place to get an opinion on something like this than here. 

I would choose some pwads as well:

Ultimate Doom
SIGIL
Doom II
Plutonia
Memento Mori 2
Perdition's Gate
Scythe 2
VALIANT
Evilternity
Stronghold
Doom 64
Doom 2016

I don't think Doom 3 should be left out. It's an important part of Doom history: in fact I think id Software felt more comfortable going all-action in Doom 2016 specifically because they had already fully explored the horror-approach in Doom 3.