Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Any simple wad out there for announcing a baby to friends & family?

Grats Buck!!! It's a blast man. Your own little Doom Slayer! Happy for you my man :)

(Sorry I have no answer for the question)

44 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

"BABY STRUNK"

I recognise this is like, your surname, but my dumb malformed millennial brain can only piece these two words together to form a new garbage word synonymous with "expecting".

Congrats on being babystrunk!

Many thanks MrDead1313! Gonna be a whole new experience and gotta make sure the kid gets the proper intro to DOOM ;)

Thanks Jimmy! Perfect name for my upcoming mumble rap alter ego, "babystrunk" 😂

A very talented mapper/modder and equally awesome friend has offered to assist with this request as no prior wad seems to exist for the given scenario, and they are hard at work as we speak constructing it for the surprise!

I will make absolutely sure to share wad author name and thanks, as well as my families reaction video, by end of this weekend 😁

Edited by Buckshot

There was a guy who made a map for his newborn, if I recall correctly. Why don't you try something like that? Congrats, by the way. 

Makes me wonder what other ways WADs could be used to announce important events.  Anyone wanna preemptively make a "coming out of the closet" wad?

3 hours ago, Death Egg said:

Makes me wonder what other ways WADs could be used to announce important events.  Anyone wanna preemptively make a "coming out of the closet" wad?

Coming out of the monster closet?

Making this map for such a special moment was the best. So many feelings were going on. I cried several times once I began to create the baby room 

And again, congratulations, Justin :) 

For me it was simple. After my daughter was born, I updated my then Doomworld blog with a post entitled "'Mordeth 2' released" :P

Thank you so much everyone! Was a blast for everyone involved, and my debt to Van for making this moment possible is eternal.

I'm trying to convince my wife to let us name him/her "Slayer". I think "Slayer Strunk" has a nice ring to it, doesn't it? 😁

Of course, that's wishful thinking... But I'll try my best to convince her! I'll do the details for the id games archive of the wad for future use and submit it tonight after work.

Well the big room with the staircase needed more monsters for such a big area, and the Cyberdemon that teleports away immediately with no payoff was kind of random. The detailing looked nice though, and the custom music was appropriate for the bizarre change of scenery near the end.

Ok yeah, that was kind of awesome. Hope your kid watches this video in 10 years time to see how they were announced to the world.

29 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

Well the big room with the staircase needed more monsters for such a big area, and the Cyberdemon that teleports away immediately with no payoff was kind of random. The detailing looked nice though, and the custom music was appropriate for the bizarre change of scenery near the end.

Ok yeah, that was kind of awesome. Hope your kid watches this video in 10 years time to see how they were announced to the world.

Thanks! The design was intentional to keep people guessing just long enough for a quick surprise. Most of the people who were watching in the room only barely tolerate my obessesion with DOOM, lol. Aside from a couple, I had asked Van to make it short and sweet, toss in only a few demons and a couple rooms before the big surprise switch. Else I would have risked losing majority of the families/friend attention and they would have left the room (such as my parents and sisters... to them watching games is like watching grass grow).

As my wife had done my birthday party that evening and all of these folks attended, I used that as a cover to lure them into my game room to "show them something really cool my friends made me for my birthday". It worked, nobody suspected a thing, and they really got a kick out of it and understood it was important to me and my wife as a very "Strunk" way of announcing such a occasion. 

Perfect last-minute execution (or so I feel), as Van only had a day to make the map and I was unsure of how everyone would react or if I could even keep their attention at all before the shock ending :)

As it stands, the most impressive thing here is Van Daemons lightning-fast map design for the occasion. Absolutely pitch perfect and just exactly the right detail and length it needed to be. What I had pictured in my head... She did exactly that and then some with her own personal touch even on such short notice and out of kindness. Just absolutely awesome!

Edited by Buckshot

On 6/27/2019 at 2:03 AM, Death Egg said:

Makes me wonder what other ways WADs could be used to announce important events.

The obvious thing leading on from this would be a gender-reveal wad. It would certainly not be the worst idea ever for how to do so.

7 hours ago, Suitepee said:

I actually put more monsters at first and harder but when I tested it, felt like wasting my time for what was this made. I knew it shouldnt take too long til the baby room cause people would quickly stop paying attention. 

8 hours ago, Grazza said:

The obvious thing leading on from this would be a gender-reveal wad. It would certainly not be the worst idea ever for how to do so.

TIL: there is such a thing as "gender reveal parties" and no, it's not about coming out as trans.

What a crazy world.