Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Improving the link to the Eternity subforum

I saw some reactions on Doomworld that Eternity subforum's link is unattractive because it has no description (just a link to the wiki).

How do you suggest it get improved? @Quasar @Altazimuth @SoM @Bloodshedder?

Here are my ideas:

1. Replace the simple Eternity name with Eternity Engine. Looks more complete this way, as well as symmetrical -- like two columns holding a roof.
  2. As a description: Eternity is the successor of Boom and MBF (let's consider SMMU too little known to be notable). Like PrBoom+, but with advanced modding features, including room over room! So, in short, "The continuator of Boom and MBF with extensive modding capabilities and room-over-room design".

1. Yup, totally. Eternity isn't a TC or a source port any more. Eternity is just EE now, and Eternity Engine makes clearer just what the subforum is.

2. A bit less clear on this. Boom has a successor that derives from its name and is pretty popular. I dunno how I'd brand it though.

3 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

A bit less clear on this. Boom has a successor that derives from its name and is pretty popular. I dunno how I'd brand it though.

Sure, but it's not the only successor. Maybe we can start the sentence just with "Successor of Boom and MBF"

I know I am not part of Team Eternity but I have a suggestion. The wiki link is kinda "not-so-attractive" because it is called eternity.youfailit.net (it has "You Fail It!" in its name). The wiki needs the name change.

Keep in mind I'm no moderator (and I don't want to be one, I'm not good at policing forum members) so I am not the one who will change the link. When we reach a consensus, we'll have to ask one of the administrators (I think only they can) about the change. 

@ReaperAAMaybe it's enough to hide the wiki link from plain sight. Display it as "Eternity wiki" 

38 minutes ago, printz said:

Maybe it's enough to hide the wiki link from plain sight. Display it as "Eternity wiki" 

Sound good to me.

I agree that the current link is not attractive at all, reading "Eternity.YouFailIt.Net" sounds like a joke and something that needs to be avoided, not investigated. Never thought I'd bring this up but apparently others have noticed the problem as well.

2 hours ago, printz said:

Maybe it's enough to hide the wiki link from plain sight. Display it as "Eternity wiki" 

That'll do.

I always preferred EE to just Eternity. Just sounds nicer.

16 hours ago, Altazimuth said:

2. A bit less clear on this. Boom has a successor that derives from its name and is pretty popular. I dunno how I'd brand it though.

I've always seen EE as the continuation of the spirit of Boom. Extend the engine for modders and players while preserving the feel of Doom.

That other engine has always seemed more like comp level Doom to me. 🤷‍♀️

10 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

Extend the engine for modders and players while preserving the feel of Doom.

Catchphrase for the subforum link? 😊

Just now, printz said:

Catchphrase for the subforum link? 😊

Sure, be my guest. Might be a better way of phrasing that, but I'm drawing a blank.