Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Gotcha. It's just something I'd thought about in the past, like

"I want this WAD to be vanilla-compatible, but I also want to add custom intermission text (or any other feature that's just out of vanilla-WAD reach), but I also want people to still be able to just double-click the wad to load it into their favorite port as well."

I'm sure it's something others have dealt with, and I've seen it handled in various ways.

Just put in your readme that the external patch is only for vanilla/Choco because there's an embedded dehacked lump in the wad for other ports.

Thinking of continuing my attempts at map-making recently, what's the most state-of-the-art Builder right now? Doom Builder X, or GZDoom Builder Bugfix? What do I miss out on by picking one over the other, too?

GZDB-BF has more features that can be useful for making complex UDMF levels; DBX has a more streamlined interface and offers some lua scripting capabilities to help you automatize some tasks of level making if you have some programming chops.

I want to get back into map editing however GZDoomBuilder is very slow and sometimes just stops working all together.  This seems to happen even when I open up a new empty map.  DId something go bad?  R3058

25 minutes ago, gamevoin said:

Are MIDI soundtracks still commonly used, compared to "high-quality" ones?

The two wads that come to mind NOT using midi's would be Violence and Noctambulist.  Wads using ogg/mp3's very much so seem like outliers.

Is there a way to have a linedef block only players but not monsters?

For instance, a ledge that a player can't go over, but Cacs and Lost Souls could.

15 minutes ago, mmachine said:

Is there a way to have a linedef block only players but not monsters?

It's definitely possible, but only in some mapping formats. For example, while you can't do that in Doom format, it's pretty easy to pull off in Hexen and UDMF. Just enable "Block Players" on a linedef in either of these formats, but keep "Block Monsters" or "Impassable" disabled.

1 hour ago, gamevoin said:

It's definitely possible, but only in some mapping formats. For example, while you can't do that in Doom format, it's pretty easy to pull off in Hexen and UDMF. Just enable "Block Players" on a linedef in either of these formats, but keep "Block Monsters" or "Impassable" disabled.

I see - thanks!

I’m building with source ports in mind but trying to keep things as classic Doom as possible. I’m guessing you could pull this kind of thing off in traditional Doom by having a barrier on the ledge where you don’t have to worry about the player being able to jump over? 

If I wanted to prevent the player from jumping and crouching I’d set that flag in my WAD using SLADE, right?

5 minutes ago, mmachine said:

If I wanted to prevent the player from jumping and crouching I’d set that flag in my WAD using SLADE, right? 

Correct, you'd use MAPINFO and add the "NoJump" and "NoCrouch" flags for your map definition in there.

As for barriers, it's the most practical method in classic Doom maps, yeah: add a knee-high block of terrain to prevent the player from heading there, while those pesky flying monsters are able to happily ignore it.

What kind of things can alert a monster outside of hearing / seeing the player? I've got some monsters in my map getting alerted when it seems like they shouldn't.

One gets alerted right as soon as the map loads.

Then I have another set of 3 monsters - 2 Heavy Weapon Dudes and a Revenant - in a room closed in with a door that get alerted once the player starts firing in an adjacent sector outside the door.

Edited by mmachine

I downloaded GZDB to try and start tinkering with map editing.  It's something I've never done before.  I immediately encountered the problem of not being able to find the IWADs for the games so that I could get the textures.

I'm confused, I own Ultimate Doom, Doom II (and Master Levels) and Final Doom through Steam.  Are the Steam versions the problem?  If not, where do I locate the files?  I looked in Program Files to no avail and even did general searches.  If the Steam versions ARE the problem, where do I get versions that I can work with?

Do I have to stay under 65535 sidedefs on Boom-project? Does prBoom handle sidedefs above that? Where is complete list of these limits?

On 6/4/2019 at 7:18 PM, MiffedMonkey1 said:

I downloaded GZDB to try and start tinkering with map editing.  It's something I've never done before.  I immediately encountered the problem of not being able to find the IWADs for the games so that I could get the textures.

I'm confused, I own Ultimate Doom, Doom II (and Master Levels) and Final Doom through Steam.  Are the Steam versions the problem?  If not, where do I locate the files?  I looked in Program Files to no avail and even did general searches.  If the Steam versions ARE the problem, where do I get versions that I can work with?

Just find the IWADS(Doom2.wad) and use that. even steam version uses the classic wad.

16 hours ago, Jaska said:

Do I have to stay under 65535 sidedefs on Boom-project? Does prBoom handle sidedefs above that? Where is complete list of these limits?

In theory, yes, but in practice, the actual limit is however many you can have with the linedef maximum of 65,535. Many Boom maps exist that have over 100,000 sidedefs because Builder and PRBoom do sidedef compression, allowing Boom maps to be huge (ZDoom and Eternity also do this, I believe).

4 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

In theory, yes, but in practice, the actual limit is however many you can have with the linedef maximum of 65,535. Many Boom maps exist that have over 100,000 sidedefs because Builder and PRBoom do sidedef compression, allowing Boom maps to be huge (ZDoom and Eternity also do this, I believe).

Thanks! I read about that compression but wasn't sure if it is in Boom. Or is it a builder feature.

Is there a simple way to "upgrade" a limit-removing map to Boom format and enable the use of Boom triggers?

I've experimented a little with this, but you can pretty safely open a Doom-format map as a Boom-format map. The reason I think you can do this is because I remember accidentally testing my boom-format map in chocolate doom, which by all rights should crash, but doesn't. I tested it out and seemingly the only difference between the formats are the specials available for sectors and linedefs, and the pusher and puller things.

6 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Is there a simple way to "upgrade" a limit-removing map to Boom format and enable the use of Boom triggers?

Basically what alder said. Boom mostly adds new line actions etc to vanilla, so none of your vanilla line actions should break to begin with. If pushing stuff off ciffs and such isn't an issue at all, the whole process should be child's play.

Several Random questions (for the record I am using UDMF in GZDoom Builder):

1. How do I create a "sky" texture? Like, I have a texture of a sky but how do I make it look like a sky and not like someone painted something on a roof

2. Is there any way to mirror wall textures without having to create a whole new texture and adding it to the wad?

3. Is it possible to create a custom "thing" whose texture is parallel to the floor, not perpendicular?

4. Another map I started making in GZDoom Doom II format but wanted to convert it UDMF, but the guides I looked at on how to do it didn't seem to work. Is their a method that is known to work?

8 minutes ago, Lianam said:

1. How do I create a "sky" texture? Like, I have a texture of a sky but how do I make it look like a sky and not like someone painted something on a roof

Create a secor you wanna use for the sky. Put sky texture on ceiling, lower ceiling to floor level. Done. If this doesn't anwer your question, then I guess I didn't quite get what your problem is.

9 minutes ago, Lianam said:

2. Is there any way to mirror wall textures without having to create a whole new texture and adding it to the wad?

Not sure here, I know UDMF can "stretch" textures to make them fit better... Somebody else needs to answer this.

11 minutes ago, Lianam said:

3. Is it possible to create a custom "thing" whose texture is parallel to the floor, not perpendicular?

Unless your're doing some 3D-object fuckery I guess not. "2D things", like your usual monsters, trees, and items won't work.

15 minutes ago, Lianam said:

4. Another map I started making in GZDoom Doom II format but wanted to convert it UDMF, but the guides I looked at on how to do it didn't seem to work. Is their a method that is known to work?

I wasn't aware "GZDoom Doom II format" was even a format that exists. If you mean straight Doom II format, that is something I'm familiar with... Anyway, without having seen the tutorials you were using I can't even begin to speculate what went wrong. If all else fails you can always do a manual conversion, which unfortunately can be a labour intensive task if your original map was complex.

1 hour ago, Lianam said:

The conversion is fairly straight forward:

GZDoom (Doom2 format) - zwadconvert to GZDoom ( Doom2 in Hexen format) - GZDoom (Doom2 UDMF)

zwadconvert is required to translate Doom2 format specials to Doom2 in Hexen format specials.

See my tutorial

Having a texture issue.

aj5bN8L.png?2

In Zdoom, it's fine.

4jGsEBc.png?1

In PrBoom+ plus, it cuts off.

Both ports are their most up to date versions.

I've had that issue too, when texture lengths are longer than 128 and aren't a multiple of 128, they act strange like that... I don't think there's anything you can do about it except for increasing/decreasing the length of the texture, unless the text is stationary. If it's stationary, you can split it up into multiple textures.

On mercredi 3 juillet 2019 at 7:02 AM, Lianam said:

1. Use F_SKY1. For more details and subtleties, I will refer you to the wikis: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky and  https://zdoom.org/wiki/Sky.

2. In UDMF, a simple trick is to use a negative scaling. E.g., if you use -1 as the vertical scaling, the texture will be vertically mirrored.

3. Yeah, with FLATSPRITE.

4. As Kappes Buur said, zwadconv to Hexen format, then GZDB can handle the conversion from Hexen format to UDMF.

1 hour ago, nekostuffing said:

How do i make a third person mod ....ive seen it done ....wads like black warrior and doom hand have done this

I've seen the effect being faked by the "third person" being actually part of the weapon sprite.