Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iacobus

Map Unwanted Consequences (release)

This is a short and fast paced map, somewhat linear but the order and side you enter each room can drasticaly change the outcome of the gameplay. I recommend HARD for the first run to learn the layout before trying INSANE, which has more monsters and less ammo and health.

It is my first map for Doom although I've been mapping for other games before. I'm more familiar with deathmatch layouts and this influence can be seen here. It's far from a "by the book" type of level and more the result of experimentation and my own design biases from other games. Only recently I've been playing WADs made by the community so no similarity in gameplay should be expected here yet. I want to move on to other projects so I'll be only coming back to it for possible bugfixing. I'm also planning to make a deathmatch version for this map, but I need to work on its connectivity and item placement. If you have any suggestions regarding DM please feel free to share.

Screenshot_Doom_20190706_234313_1.jpg.c632b99d25586506e7b7a1e6161f48ba.jpg

Unwanted Consequences

What is included

New Sounds            : No
New Graphics          : Yes
New Music               : Yes

Play Information

Name                    : Unwanted Consequences

Version                  : 1.0
IWAD                    : Doom2
Format                  : Doom 2
Map #                   : MAP01
Single Player          : Yes
Coop 4 Player         : Yes
Deathmatch           : No
Difficulty Settings   : Yes
Mouse look            : Yes
Jump/Crouch         : No
Tested With           : GZDoom, Zdoom, PrBoom (secret linedefs won't work on PrBoom)

Additional info in the README. Thanks in advance and if you find any bug please let me know!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190706_234613_1.jpg.ea9729d5e04002fbb195ec81cbbd42b9.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190706_234622_1.jpg.3bbeaf662fe2a1dee67628c8cb384e33.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190701_033257_1.jpg.34f08148b9950792a5f600f963ba698c.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190706_234552_1.jpg.5075ac48ccd90df14cbc7b8029b07ec4.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190701_033213_1.jpg.d281ff10b3e5ee3add617f1916791015.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190630_134553_1.jpg.ed65e0cd8f5a7b816e4e05d6264e3f12.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190630_124413_1.jpg.c20b90765e37fcf30c71b4f0ca776baf.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190630_123956_1.jpg.25073bfffcc911e962e0fb7c3870fbe4.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190630_124427_1.jpg.1694f444dd8572cf50345944f707a741.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190630_124508_1.jpg.83a85766cb587be6a1e55903a1538332.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190707_022553_1.jpg.9fa35ab6e20a3e937801c75837117267.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20190707_022646_1.jpg.883247e793051e5ff0461fee402e546b.jpg

Edited by Iacobus : Update

15:57|96|93|25

It had a decent difficulty to it at the start with limited shotgun ammo and a gauntlet of imps. Some nicely placed chaingunners imo.  But with the boss monsters so easily killed, I really had no use for the BFG and dont really know what I was supposed to use it on.  I finished with max plasma ammo and the ultimate that I never used once.  Layout was nice and open ended.  But once you leave the starting area the difficulty drops off significantly imo.  Fun stuff though. Secret health is cool.

1 hour ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

15:57|96|93|25

It had a decent difficulty to it at the start with limited shotgun ammo and a gauntlet of imps. Some nicely placed chaingunners imo.  But with the boss monsters so easily killed, I really had no use for the BFG and dont really know what I was supposed to use it on.  I finished with max plasma ammo and the ultimate that I never used once.  Layout was nice and open ended.  But once you leave the starting area the difficulty drops off significantly imo.  Fun stuff though. Secret health is cool.

Thanks, very helpful feedback! In what part did the difficulty drop exactly ? Was it before or after the Rocket Launcher? You played on UV I assume?
I left some extra rocket/cell/health pickups for playtesting purposes but those need to be fine tuned for the release version. The BFG is just a spoil for visiting an optional area, making the final stretch easier . I might need to rework enemy placement around the bosses if it's too easy but the bosses themselves are meant to be easily killed once you have the means to, the hard part should be getting to it. 

*Thanks Tango and elend!

Pretty fun and good looking map.  I didn't understand the point of the Cyberdemon room.  Can skip without any consequnces, but I liked the trick to dispatch him.  From a level design view, I was able to "jump" (i.e. sprint not jump) unto the imp pad the looked over the red key room.  Thus making the red key null until I had to move to the blue room.  Not sure if that was the idea, or just something to look for.

2 hours ago, spaztacus said:

Pretty fun and good looking map.  I didn't understand the point of the Cyberdemon room.  Can skip without any consequnces, but I liked the trick to dispatch him.  From a level design view, I was able to "jump" (i.e. sprint not jump) unto the imp pad the looked over the red key room.  Thus making the red key null until I had to move to the blue room.  Not sure if that was the idea, or just something to look for.

Thanks for the feedback!

Initially the area to the right with the "Imp clonning machines" was supposed to loop back there, but I liked the hub idea better and I was left with an entrance leading to nowhere. Instead of deleting it I decided to work the switches gimmick I had in mind at the time and made that area optional. I could've put the blue card there but I think it worked better as a pay off for the previous area instead of forcing the player to there. If I were to put it in a episode, that would lead to a secret exit.
As it is, the only purposes are getting the BFG and offering an extra challenge if you're going for 100% kills.

The jump skip was left intentionally, to offer a different route for those paying attention to the layout. I love trying to find ways of sequence breaking games and that's something I like to incorporate in the design, specially when it happens organically.

Difficulty is hard but not sadistic. The start was a little wonky having so many enemies alerted but only having the pistol and regular shotty to defend yourself but thankfully you can avoid most attacks if you keep in mind where everyone is. Near the end of the map I went nuts with the plasma rifle. I like plasma rifles. :3

The map is also quite eye-pleasing and fairly well designed (though some bits of decoration seemed unnecessary).

The cyberdemon and spider mastermind fights seems easy to cheese if you know how which is dumb since you have a good amount of ammo to deal with them (at least on medium). Also one of the traps failed to have any enemies inside it on medium which is weird.

Overall this is a fairly competent wad. Beautifully designed and quite a blast to romp through. 9.5/10

1 hour ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Difficulty is hard but not sadistic. The start was a little wonky having so many enemies alerted but only having the pistol and regular shotty to defend yourself but thankfully you can avoid most attacks if you keep in mind where everyone is. Near the end of the map I went nuts with the plasma rifle. I like plasma rifles. :3

The map is also quite eye-pleasing and fairly well designed (though some bits of decoration seemed unnecessary).

The cyberdemon and spider mastermind fights seems easy to cheese if you know how which is dumb since you have a good amount of ammo to deal with them (at least on medium). Also one of the traps failed to have any enemies inside it on medium which is weird.

Overall this is a fairly competent wad. Beautifully designed and quite a blast to romp through. 9.5/10

Thanks a lot!

The version you played had a lift in the slime pool area? I had just uploaded an update  few minutes before you posted and I had fixed a lot of things, including monster spawn in HMP so hoppefully it's been fixed already.    
       Yeah, the Plasma Rifle is my favorite! It's a shame it's barely given to the player in single maps, at least in my experience.
       I'm new to DoomBuilder and I'm still messing around with it, but the tendency with time will be to build more cohesive layouts with decos that don't stick out that much. I'm still figuring out a style to go for.

3 hours ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/448322687

I play this at 2:20:31 into this playtest livestream. The balance felt a bit off at the start and end parts of this wad.

I was watching the stream at the time but didn't want to comment to have a fair assessment of the map!

Most of the frustration factors (amount of hitscanners, double Pain elementals, Archivilles, sheer amount of enemies) aren't present in HMP. Normal mode plays like a regular UV, while Hard has ammo starvation and tactical approach incorporated into the gameplay, that's the main reason why I set 2 difficulties for the level, but I'm glad you played in UV because there's where I really want to find a tight balance between monster/health/ammo and the playthrough was really helpful for that matter.

Here are a few things I plan on changing after watching you play:

* Rearrange health to make it available a little sooner;
* Make more clear the objective in the final room;
* Fix the wonky fight with the cyberdemon and make the room more secretive to not disturb the rest of the flow (hint the player that's optional);
* For fixing the monster block I'll need to find the script for monster spawning and how to implement it.
* Just noticed how crappy that midi sounds on general midi. I forgot I had a soundfont loaded when I was searching for one!

Thanks a lot for the playthrough and keep up the good work!

The file I uploaded to idgames got rejected for containing unmodified resources. I've cleaned the WAD and will give it another try but I'd really appreciate if someone with more experience can check the file and see if it's good to go this time. 

Here's the content of the WAD. All Graphic and Music files were modified although it still has the original name:

Spoiler

WadFiles.jpg.49200bb9fc3bf4f65f408e04af4b1d47.jpg

The OGG is probably an issue.  Archive rules:

What will be rejected?

Uploads with long filenames (more than 12 characters).

Warez copies of anything.

Junk in ZIP files.

Uploads with no text file included.

Anything not related to any Doom engine games (such as a modification for Quake 3).

Any SLIGE/OBLIGE levels.

WADs with resources used without permission (though these might slip through; if someone complains, the file may be removed).

MP3s/OGGs in WADs, unless it can be verified that the creation is original, and ideally is intended for the specific WAD file.

Copyrighted sound clips of Disney, Beavis and Butthead, etc.

Unmodified parts of any IWAD.

"Demo" WADs that are not playable in their own right (other than editing examples).

Modified id Software levels.

Trademarked or copyrighted symbols.

Files over 50MB in size without prior approval.

Any other questionable things.

22 minutes ago, Capellan said:

The OGG is probably an issue.  Archive rules:

What will be rejected?

Uploads with long filenames (more than 12 characters).

Warez copies of anything.

Junk in ZIP files.

Uploads with no text file included.

Anything not related to any Doom engine games (such as a modification for Quake 3).

Any SLIGE/OBLIGE levels.

WADs with resources used without permission (though these might slip through; if someone complains, the file may be removed).

MP3s/OGGs in WADs, unless it can be verified that the creation is original, and ideally is intended for the specific WAD file.

Copyrighted sound clips of Disney, Beavis and Butthead, etc.

Unmodified parts of any IWAD.

"Demo" WADs that are not playable in their own right (other than editing examples).

Modified id Software levels.

Trademarked or copyrighted symbols.

Files over 50MB in size without prior approval.

Any other questionable things.

Thanks for the info and for the bump, @Capellan!

The ogg was just a conversion from the original MIDI with a custom soundfont, I even mentioned it in the text to avoid rejection. I figured not everyone uses soundfonts and I wanted it sounding even for every player. 
    The wad from the screenshot ended up getting uploaded, it was the first attempt that got rejected due to lots of junk files remaining from the original IWAD that at the time I didn't know could/should be deleted.