Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
heuriophuw-r9HR8-9HY389-R

SIGIL James Paddock MIDI Remasters WADS

Why is the music in waveform format? Why not use high bitrate MP3 or OGG? This is what is bloating the filesize into the hundreds of megabytes.

11 hours ago, Armaetus said:

Why not use high bitrate MP3 or OGG?

or Opus. Opus with bitrate 128 (vbr mode) is very close to transparent.

12 hours ago, Armaetus said:

Why is the music in waveform format? Why not use high bitrate MP3 or OGG? This is what is bloating the filesize into the hundreds of megabytes.

at the time I tired using wav with 32 float but was too large, then i used 16 bit. I didn't think of using OGG files. and i don't have the MP3 plugin for audacity (plus i kinda got lazy)

12 hours ago, Armaetus said:

and i'm also new to doom modding. so i used the actual SIGIL wad so maybe that's making it large too

Compressing it to OGG would reduce the audio file sizes six to tenfold, depending on quality chosen. Something like that.

boring useless techno-bla-bla.

Spoiler

ogg is a container format, it can contain anything you want -- audio, video, binary data, text data, you name it. what you probably mean is vorbis-encoded audio. which should be forgotten too by this time, because opus is by all means better. and yeah, opus is using ogg as container too. ;-)

3 hours ago, ketmar said:

boring useless techno-bla-bla.

If opus is so cool, why hasn't it gained such popularity as mp3 and ogg codecs so far? :)

16 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

It's wrong to sell someone else's music on BandCamp without their permission, even if it's "pay-what-you-want".

It's also wrong to call mushy-sounding soundfont renders "remasters".

Remaster? More like "re-novice"! Har har har

Yeah, dude. This is kind of a bad move. There's nothing here that would warrant even a vague allusion to somebody maybe giving you money for it.

However, if people want to throw money somewhere, it should probably be here: https://jamespaddock.bandcamp.com/album/sigil-the-midi-soundtrack

33 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

ogg codecs

what is "ogg codec"? opus is using OGG container as internal storage. ;-)

33 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

If opus is so cool, why hasn't it gained such popularity

because most people are slow at adopting such things. 'cmon, even mp3 is not dead yet! (and it should be dead already)

but actually, opus just isn't promoted enough. most people simply don't know why it is better than other lossy audio codecs. and some people even think that opus was made strictly for internet streaming, and therefore has inferior quality. so i'm trying to recommend opus over vorbis (and, of course, mp3) whenever i have a chance.

32 minutes ago, ketmar said:

but actually, opus just isn't promoted enough.

This format will never get as popular as mp3 or ogg. Those who really listen to music prefer lossless format for a long time. And to popularize the next lossy codec which gives minor advantages does not make sense at all.

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

mushy-sounding soundfont renders

Do you know what's being used? If it's just a rerender with another soundfont, it should just be renamed from "Remaster" to "Rerender" or "supermarioultra's SIGIL tracks"

5 hours ago, MTrop said:

Remaster? More like "re-novice"! Har har har

Yeah, dude. This is kind of a bad move. There's nothing here that would warrant even a vague allusion to somebody maybe giving you money for it.

However, if people want to throw money somewhere, it should probably be here: https://jamespaddock.bandcamp.com/album/sigil-the-midi-soundtrack

I don't want money dude... when I made the album I made it free. you can pay if you want too, it's frickin optional.

5 hours ago, esselfortium said:

It's wrong to sell someone else's music on BandCamp without their permission, even if it's "pay-what-you-want".

It's also wrong to call mushy-sounding soundfont renders "remasters".

I only used Arachno for some tracks, I used Xpand!2 and other LMMS plugins. I've credited James and I don't think i'll make a profit. This is a passion project

i don't care about money 

1) They're not your songs to post on BandCamp as pay-what-you-want. This is extremely Do Not Do This from both a legal and moral standpoint. Please do not link to your Bandcamp on this site as long as it is set that way.

You can uncheck this box on the Bandcamp album page so that people will no longer be prompted to pay you for Jimmy's music:

image.png

2) Again, just swapping out the original instruments for presets from soundfonts/VST/whatever and burying everything in reverb is not a "remaster".

2 hours ago, supermarioultra said:

I only used Arachno for some tracks, I used Xpand!2 and other LMMS plugins. I've credited James and I don't think i'll make a profit. This is a passion project

i don't care about money 

But they're not your songs to be making any money off of. You might not care about the money, but the fact you're using someone else's work to potentially bring in income is going to piss people off.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:07 PM, Caleb13 said:

Well I'm sorry I that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to put my music on a platform for free. I guess forgot to uncheck the box or I didn't think of it at the time. I'm sorry. I'll try better next time or not try at all 

12 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

1) They're not your songs to post on BandCamp as pay-what-you-want. This is extremely Do Not Do This from both a legal and moral standpoint. Please do not link to your Bandcamp on this site as long as it is set that way.

You can uncheck this box on the Bandcamp album page so that people will no longer be prompted to pay you for Jimmy's music:

image.png

2) Again, just swapping out the original instruments for presets from soundfonts/VST/whatever and burying everything in reverb is not a "remaster".

I've made both free downloads. I've learned from my mistake and will try harder in advance. I'm sorry

Screenshot_2019-07-03-22-49-58-550_com.android.chrome.png