Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DRM-MAN

Doom 2 (Tropical)

GZdoom 4.1.3.0 And i don't have a lot of time right now so when i have some free time i'll add some but for now don't have enough time give out screenshots.

I've completed your map on UV in 58 seconds, with 100% kills, 100% items and 100% secrets.

The map was a really simple, short and linear cave with 5-6 trees in the starting area.

But starting with the visuals:

the map was an incredibly simple level, without decorations, no light work or height variation, exept for the first part. Two textures were used and pretty only squares, rectangles were present (again, the only exeption is the first area).

Thing placement:

all the enemies attack you from the front side. There were no ambushes. Nothing else to say here, because the level was so simple that I can't say anything else.

General design:

there were no interconnections between areas, no keys and only one path.

Sorry for my simple review but really there is nothing to comment about here. I suppose that this is your first work and that is mainly made to understand the editor. Next time you can practice with doors, lifts and stairs, and also with visual connections between your areas (like windows or unreachable places at a different height that you are supposed to visit in a later part of the level). However I appreciated your (ugly) new startpic and the custom music. This shows that at least you have tried a more advanced level of editing, but it's better to start with the simple things and understand how to make a good level in all of his parts.

I love how people think it's my first work but in reality it's not i was experimenting with jungle like areas and wanted feedback however due to the 25mb file size limit i can't upload my more bigger and cooler wads but hey thanks for the feedback.

36 minutes ago, drmman said:

I love how people think it's my first work but in reality it's not

Really makes you wonder what your actual first work might look like.

36 minutes ago, drmman said:

due to the 25mb file size limit i can't upload my more bigger and cooler wads

Wads shouldn't really be that heavy, unless they are basically edited IWads or are stuffed with new sounds and graphics.

I've tested your new wad. It looks like much better than previous "Tropical" level, it seems you took into account the feedback (no more MS Paint walls? Nice!).

But this new level is still far from perfect. You need to add much more details.

2 hours ago, drmman said:

due to the 25mb file size limit

You can simply upload it in another site and post here only your download link 

4 hours ago, drmman said:

I love how people think it's my first work but in reality it's not i was experimenting with jungle like areas and wanted feedback however due to the 25mb file size limit

I suggest using dropbox or mediafire for uploading, without overloading the forum filespace.

9 hours ago, drmman said:

... due to the 25mb file size limit ...

Is this something new on idgames? I have uploaded far larger wads to idgames.

Back on topic: I played the map, which I found to be very simplistic and easy. With the exception of the trees, I don't see anything resembling a jungle or tropical environment. At the very least you could have added slopes to make the "valley" appear like it is nestled between hills, and the "cave" look more natural.

9 hours ago, riderr3 said:

I suggest using dropbox or mediafire for uploading, without overloading the forum filespace.

I'd definitely go with dropbox over mediafire - mediafire is riddled with misleading ads that try to get you to click on stuff that is potentially harmful to your machine. google drive is another good option I think!

Played through. I like the idea of a tropical themed WAD and that you used your own music. I also enjoyed the initial cliff drop-off, and I'm not even sure why.

Other than that, the level was not very pretty to look at, as most of it looked the same as the rest of it. The monster placement and movement was pretty boring, and the weapon progression was strange, and there wasn't much of a challenge.

I would recommend playing some of your favorite WADs (or finding some on idgames) and pay attention to how much detail there is. You don't necessarily have to be one of the more detailed mappers, but getting close to "average" would go a long ways. Study weapon progression, ammo distribution, and enemy placement/ambushes, and I think you'll get much more favorable feedback.

You've stated that you merely wanted feedback on jungle-like areas, but the truth is most people are going to want to play a level that presents some degree of challenge or impresses them in some way, so unfortunately you may not get exactly the feedback you desire.