Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magicana

Third .Wad - 'Sewer'

Hey guys, I've pumped out another .wad (Hopefully improved on the last one). This one is heavily nukage themed. 

Requires doom2.wad to play. Tested in Zdoom and PRBoom+.

Full credit for the textures to the following people from Realm667: Nicholas Baker for his 'Mortiser' texture pack

Sargebuddy for his conversion of the Doom 1 textures 

With that said, here are a few screenshots to hopefully show off that I've improved since the last time. I'm still having trouble with lighting (The screenshots exacerbate that because it's in ultrabright GZdoom).

Difficulty settings now implemented - Ultra-violence and everything else.

Feedback welcome.

Sewer.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20190702_190205.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190702_190212.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190702_190219.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190702_190302.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190702_190411.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190702_190439.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190702_190609.png

Edited by Magicana

I've completed your map on UV in 5.31 minutes, with 100% kills, 91% items and 0% secrets.

The map was a medium nukeplant with some nuke mazes and a linear layout.

But starting with the visuals:

Your previous map was better than this regarding the level of detail. I've noted that you have olayed with different room shapes and that you have started to use a lot of textures to create variety in your map, but some concrete detail is missing. You have just said it so I will not comment it further, but you have to work on the light, expecially in a map where you force your players to move in tight spaces where you have no space to place decorations. A good light work can make the difference .

I have noticed that the yellow door is unmarked.

Thing placement:

as always there is a good thing placement. I've found only two weird things:

First, the red key is given before the red door...what's the point of this? If I just have the key there is no purpose for the door to be locked, I will never notice that it requires a key (on the other hand, if I see a locked door that requires a red key that I haven't I will know what to do).

Second, you have placed a chaingun after a fight with a chaingunner where I can pick the weapon up before actually finding the one that you have placed, making the second one useless.

General layout:

this map has a really good layout. New paths opens up every time the player does something, connecting the various areas in an intelligent way and avpiding backtracking. This is the kind of linear map that I like. One clear path with a lot of connection with previous areas that opens up once at a time without confusing me.

A nice map, maybe a bit underdetailed but this lack is compensated by the really good layout

17 hours ago, Simomarchi said:

I've completed your map on UV in 5.31 minutes, with 100% kills, 91% items and 0% secrets.

The map was a medium nukeplant with some nuke mazes and a linear layout.

But starting with the visuals:

Your previous map was better than this regarding the level of detail. I've noted that you have olayed with different room shapes and that you have started to use a lot of textures to create variety in your map, but some concrete detail is missing. You have just said it so I will not comment it further, but you have to work on the light, expecially in a map where you force your players to move in tight spaces where you have no space to place decorations. A good light work can make the difference .

I have noticed that the yellow door is unmarked.

Thing placement:

as always there is a good thing placement. I've found only two weird things:

First, the red key is given before the red door...what's the point of this? If I just have the key there is no purpose for the door to be locked, I will never notice that it requires a key (on the other hand, if I see a locked door that requires a red key that I haven't I will know what to do).

Second, you have placed a chaingun after a fight with a chaingunner where I can pick the weapon up before actually finding the one that you have placed, making the second one useless.

General layout:

this map has a really good layout. New paths opens up every time the player does something, connecting the various areas in an intelligent way and avpiding backtracking. This is the kind of linear map that I like. One clear path with a lot of connection with previous areas that opens up once at a time without confusing me.

A nice map, maybe a bit underdetailed but this lack is compensated by the really good layout

Thanks for the feedback!

Lighting is an endless struggle for me - I tried doing new things with it in this map, but I still wasn't happy with it. Same with the detailing - I had little touches, but nothing on a large scale. I left the yellow door unmarked on purpose, but I guess in hindsight I probably shouldn't have - Especially since I marked the blue door.

With the chaingun, I probably should have swapped it out for some ammo - The chaingun was available earlier in the level, and after the blue door as well.

Red key my idea was that the player has come across two key doors before finding a key for a door yet to be discovered. However that also limited where I could actually put the door.

I really appreciate the compliment about the layout, because I was very happy with how it ended up!

8 hours ago, Magicana said:

Red key my idea was that the player has come across two key doors before finding a key for a door yet to be discovered.

Oh yes, if you see it this way it works, like "what does this key do?" instead of "how can I open this door?"