Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Vanguard & Lunatic

"Son of a bitch must pay!"

Guys, we have miracle here. I survived Lunatic, what the f... I can't believe this. Took me 48:47 minutes, but it's done, and for once in life I actually beat something without dying <3 . Damn I'm good (not). No seriously, I might have survived but I made some unforgivable mistakes as usual, I am not raging this time simply because I managed to survive the wad, otherwise my head would've exploded by now (same for the topic).

Have fun, Vanguard will come at a later time, but my life is now complete, I can be mostly satisfied with something for once (don't be so cute, the day I stop making retarded mistakes is the day I stop hating on myself, but that day has not come yet. That's also when I'll finally be truly satisfied 100%).

Spoiler

GlBoom+ 2.5.1.5, -iwad doom2.wad -file lunatic.wad -warp -skill 4 -complevel 9 -record seedlunatic -longtics

seedlunatic.zip

All these tales of survival... If I don't get this out of the way now the anticipation will kill me before the demons do. Time to suit up.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Guys, we have miracle here. I survived Lunatic, what the f... I can't believe this.

Congrats. Hopefully this run would inspire u do better in future too.

Spoiler

and hopefully the self-loathing would reduce too.

1 hour ago, Alfonzo said:

All these tales of survival... If I don't get this out of the way now the anticipation will kill me before the demons do. Time to suit up.

And I am still waiting for your SIGIL run demo file (yeah I know u mentioned what happened to your run but still I wanna see :D).

Looking at the results, so far my Lunatic result is the worst of the gang. Ouch! I thought it'd be a decent one carking it at MAP03. :P

5 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Looking at the results, so far my Lunatic result is the worst of the gang. Ouch! I thought it'd be a decent one carking it at MAP03. :P

Look on the bright side, your Vanguard run is the 2nd best so far. And Vanguard has more weightage (12-levels compared to Lunatic's 5-levels) on the leaderboard

3 hours ago, NaZa said:

I know that you are glaring at me in a discreet way because you are waiting my run... XD

Hmm... didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Survived neither set, dying on MAP10 of Vanguard and MAP03 of Lunatic for 11 levels total. Both of these deaths were chiefly due to poor sparring technique. With a little more concentration I shouldn't have had much difficulty in clearing out Lunatic, at least.

dwironman_37_alfnz1.zip

On a brighter note, I have discovered that the reason for my horribly janky movement and general discomfort in recording demos for prboom+ (excepting -longtics, which doesn't work here anyway) stemmed from not having the frame rate uncapped vsync disabled and not having the weapon sprites centered while firing. A marked improvement on recent performances generally speaking, as a result, but this still kind of sucks.

Edited by Alfonzo : vsync

I decided to stream and then archive my Lunatic demo (no Vanguard run yet folks :p ). Providing some commentary, insight, and that sort of thing, so I thought I'd leave this here as well for those interested.

@Alfonzo If you want to use VSync with uncapped framerate you're out of luck in most ports as only a few of them have it butter smooth and very responsive (Crispy and GZDoom). If using Eternity, Doom Retro, or PrBoom+ I recommend turning VSync off to avoid input lag and general sluggishness.

Cat 2 I guess, but I haven't played Vanguard in quite some time.  Doubly so for Lunatic.

Vanguard - Died on map 11.  The fact I hadn't played this wad in forever reared its ugly head here and I went poof in less than 30 seconds.  Dumb death?  Maybe, maybe not.

Lunatic - Died on map 3.  This death though is a bronze medal "get bitchslapped by X" award.

DWIronman_VanguardLunatic_AnimaZero.zip

Category 2, though it's been a while.

Lunatic - Was doing pretty well, but then a sneaky chaingunner perforated me from behind on map03. Really a shame, since I'm confident that otherwise I would have survived the whole set.

Vanguard - Was also doing pretty okay, but on map04 some careless movement revealed me to an arch vile at the worst possible time. Whoops.

spie812_ironman-VanAtic.zip

Well, that was a fairly inauspicious first Ironman attempt for me. I was pleasantly surprised with how Lunatic went (which I played first) - had two very near deaths in MAP03 but soldiered on to reach MAP05 where I panicked and ran around instead of using my BFG effectively.

I love Vanguard but my run ended very early on a disastrous attempt at MAP03 (a real early bump in difficulty), where almost everything that could have gone awry, did.

Category 2 demos: ironmanjulyrook.zip

Category 1 for both, if the playthrough of Valiant doesn't count. I did play Valiant before, and I remember the super secret section of its MAP27, which is, as far as I know, basically the cloned version of the final level of Lunatic. If that violates the cat 1 rule, feel free to treat those as cat 2.

Lunatic - Survived, with 51:15 in-game total = 5 levels.

Vanguard - Died on MAP10, with 1:35:53, 604/823 kills = 9 levels.

As a result, I survived 14 levels for 2:27:08. Pretty fun wads, and I'm glad that I finally took a look at Valiant's ancestors.

ironman_anta_vanatic.zip

Well, I died on MAP03 of Vanguard, super garbage run but I was sure the AVs will either get me in the room full of boxes, or in the one with the raising/lowering pillars and Soulspheres. Turns out the first was the prize :p .

Not satisfied, I wanted to really survive this map and die somewhere after MAP05 but eh, I expected this so it's not a profound disappointment. Also I stole borrowed Choco 3.0's SDL libraries and put them in PrBoom since they're allegedly more stable and less prone to oddities than the ones used in the package of 2.5.1.5, but I don't think that makes any difference demo wise. I brought this up just in case it does.

Spoiler

GlBoom+ 2.5.1.5,  -iwad doom2.wad -file vanguard.wad -complevel 9 -warp -skill 4 -record seedvanguard -longtics

seedvanguard.zip

Category 2 submission. Vanguard had some ridiculous moments, but it was mostly slow crawl through the wad. Lunatic on the other hand... That's a pretty bad one, if I've turned a little bit more to the right and shot Pinky straight that would kill it and create a small gap to squeeze through. I've joked that I'd die to turn rate and that was pretty much it.

Vanguard - survived (well, died on map13, but that one doesn't count) in 2:29:51.

Lunatic - dead on map03, I've reached it in 14:17.

That makes it 14 maps survived in total.

This snooze-fest is available as demos and as a temporarily available stream recording.

Edited by Beginner

Died on MAP03 of Vanguard. This is so frustrating. Right as I was about to unleash righteous fury on a pair of viles, I accidentally stepped into a teleporter which brought me right in front of them. Completely surprised and disoriented, I promptly got hit several times and die.
At least I've got a nice demo to show for it, where I cleverly survive most of the tra--What's that? I forgot to rename the Vanguard demo, and ended up overwriting it with the Lunatic one?

WHAT AN AWESOME EVENING

Anyway, here's the Lunatic demo. Died on MAP03, overwhelmed by an ambushing crowd. Category 1, Standard competition.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/5jtanqctt7639u4/DWironman_lunatic_JudgeDeadd-1.lmp/file

I survived Lunatic but the Vanguard Punchline killed me, that mean I survived 10 maps in total.

I played both wads before so that's a cat 2.

The Vanguard part starts at 40:35.

Finally got around to joining in on this, still getting used to aiming while demo recording so im struggling with accuracy heh. Vanguard was totally blind but i am familiar with Lunatic from a few streams so this would be a category 2 submission.

Reached Vanguard Map 10 at 1:14:23 and died with 207/823 kills
Survived Lunatic in 48:04
Surviving a total of 14 maps.

dwironman_VanguardLunatic_Keaton.zip

Had a number of real close calls in Vanguard and i only just barely survived map 4 of Lunatic at one point getting down to 10 hp, It was a real butt clencher! I took a bit of time running around gathering supplies and coming up with a plan on the tougher maps, but overall i felt like i played pretty well considering i haven't played anything since the release of Sigil and was playing with unfamiliar controls.

I rarely comment on others' runs, but man, what a debut! Welcome to the DWIronman League! 

When I started participating in the DWIL, I read through the category types and came across Category 2, which was defined as having played the maps or watched streams about them or something prior to them being selected for that month. I figured that I would never happen given the small number of mapsets and megawads that I have played and the likelihood being that none of them would ever be selected for DWIL. So I never thought this particular day would come--but I can say that I have played Vanguard before today (in Ironeagle, just like some of the others), so it is Category 2! I find pleasure in small things, I know. I never played Lunatic (although, ironically, I was looking at it as a possibility for Ironeagle at some point. Regardless, Lunatic is Category 1.

Standard Runs

Vanguard

Category 2

Dead on Map 1

Kills: 34/38

Spoiler

(I forgot about that imp--I remembered there would be an imp around there, I just forgot when it came out. Oh well. I probably wouldn't have made it much farther given my health and the surprise awaiting.)

Lunatic

Category 1

Dead on Map 1

Kills: 71/100

Prepared Runs (Category 3)

Vanguard

Dead on Map 2

Kills: 28/104

Lunatic

Dead on Map 2

Kills: 19/102

Hey, I made it past the first map, which was the entire reason I started doing Category 3 runs anyway.  So I'm happy.

Vanguard and Lunatic are great mapsets. They're well assembled, well textured, and well thought out. There is sufficient ammunition and well-placed health. The weapons are well chosen for the maps, as well. There are definitely difficult encounters, but nothing that seems overtly unfair. The ambushes are well placed and the monsters are generally not overwhelming and that makes the mapsets very approachable. They were fun to play, and the pair was a good choice for this month.

Got rinsed on map03 (lunatic)

Now, I'm pretty sure I've played this before but I didn't remember any of it at all, apart from a couple of bits of map3 as it seems to be very similar to a valiant map (or the other way round) so will call it a cat 2 anyway.  Stream hasn't got long left before it expires but I think I only made it about a third into the map (284 kills).  Will run vanguard soon, that will defo be a cat 2

Once again i did poorly, i had played a bit of vanguard before, but never lunatic, so i got my ass kicked there by a mancubi that refused to die in map02 and on vanguard i got cooked by one angry archvile in map03. I didn't made any attempt before recording, so i guess both are standard runs, i might try a prepared one since vanguard is really fun

Recorded on PrBoom+

dmp_vanguar_lunatic.zip

Was killing it (with a couple of close shaves) and then due to some kind of technical/port error managed to die with 80% health wtf

made it to 05 anyway, disappointed as I've played this a few times, it's a laugh, and I feel I would have been able to complete it

Lunatic: Survived

Vanguard: dead on map09 after numerous close shaves!

Category 2 for me. Vanguard was hella fun, even more fun than i remembered it to be :D 

It's been a while since I have done an Ironman. Anyway, category 2 for Vanguard (I did an playthrough of it on HMP several years ago) and category 1 for Lunatic (never played before). I did Vanguard first and Lunatic second.

Deaths :

Spoiler

Vanguard -> Died in MAP10 (Kills : 781/823), overwhelmed by the monsters, killed by the cyberdemon I guess. Runtime : 1h31min49sec
Lunatic -> Died in MAP05 (Kills : 397/485), finished by a chaingunner, or any hitscanner as they were behind me, when I had low health. Runtime : 51min32sec

For a total of 13 maps survived (9+4).

File : Malrionn_DWIronman_Vanguard_Lunatic.zip

OK. Forgot this thing and it was time to wrap this up. How I went?
Lunatic: Survived the ordeal at 49:30 (5 maps cleared and, I paused the game at the start of map 05 cuz stuff). All blind...like I said before, I never played this wad.

Vanguard: Dead at map 10 (9 maps cleared), 164 monsterd killed and an innocent IMP got me. Category 2 because I played this wad before in the ironeagle session about 5 or 6 months ago?...can't remember.

That makes a total of 14 maps survived, which is not bad for me. Here's the zip with both demos. Played with GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4 (now that are 2 ports of PrBoom+ I need to specify the version now :D )

dw_iron_lnvngrdLD85.zip

btw, gonna pass the prepared board....too much time to do that thing

nope. ;)

I forgot how to play Doom.

...or it's just a Doom pseudo-RNG isn't enough friendly to [1] me to [2] allow to [3] play Skillsaw maps blindly.

Since I've heard that Cat3 had been decoupled from 1 & 2 into separate leathercoat (kiddin'), I've decided to submit demos in both.

And oh well, due to mentioned reasons (no), my blind "attempts" just got "fucking fucked beyond belief" ((c) Linux kernel) and I don't want anyone ever to see it.

So only prepared league this time.

Speaking of time, really lacked of it this month, and that's why demo for Vanguard ends so early.

Lunatic: 5 maps (survived) in 36:08

Vanguard: 4 maps (just exited) in 20:29

Total: 9 maps in 56:37

P.S. TBH, Plutonia-style maps are the only that I like amidst all Skillsaw art, sorry.

P.P.S. Music track from DN3D's Fahrenheit is a forbidden punch.

dwiskill.zip

[ I'LL FINISH MY RENDERS I PROMISE ]