Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Original Xbox co-op dialog differences?

The original Xbox version of Doom 3 had a co-op mode where the cutscenes and dialog were actually altered to take it into account that there were 2 players playing the game instead of just 1. Is there some way to find out what was different compared to the original PC version? I have the xbox versions but the co-op was online only so I can't actually access it.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:14 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

I have the xbox versions but the co-op was online only so I can't actually access it.

Not true, you can play co-op over system link (LAN). 

Would it be possible to port these over to the PC version? they look different than the ones in the other Co-op mods.

doom_3_xbox360_by_larryfagundes_d4j8z6l-

Actually is that other player model in the XBOX port?

That's not even a real case cover. No, in co-op it's just two helmeted generic folk.

On 7/3/2019 at 9:36 AM, tempdecal.wad said:

Would it be possible to port these over to the PC version? they look different than the ones in the other Co-op mods.

I think that would be a copyright violation. And I'm not sure if the xbox version's maps even work the same as the PC version even if you could somehow extract them.

That's a shame, would be nice to have a way to play them without having to get an Xbox360.

20 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

That's a shame, would be nice to have a way to play them without having to get an Xbox360.

You can always watch a Let's play to see how the Xbox levels differ from the PC originals. GeneralLotz recently live streamed all the Doom 3 and RoE Xbox levels and uploaded them to youtube. I even watched some of them live.

5 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Yes, but it'd be more fun to actually play them.

You could just buy an original Xbox or even an Xbox 360 for cheap online. Getting actual copies of the original Xbox Doom 3 would be much harder though. I got very lucky recently and found what is probably one of the only amazon sellers that still sold copies that would actually ship to where I live. 

Getting an Xbox360 just to play one game for a couple of minutes doesn't sound like the best idea lol

58 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Getting an Xbox360 just to play one game for a couple of minutes doesn't sound like the best idea lol

I bought an Xbox one just so that I could play all the Halo games. Then a couple of weeks later they announced that all the Halo games are coming to PC lol. Then to make it even better my amazon order of the MC: Collection got lost so I never even got it anyway :(

On topic: The Xbox campaign of Doom 3 is very similar but there are some notable differences that give it it's own special flavor. The levels are cut into smaller chunks so some levels that were originally a single level become 2 different ones. The larger open areas are also mostly gone so the game is even more claustrophobic and corridor heavy than it used to be. The textures have been "consolized" and some of the brush work simplified and as a result some of the game's levels have a greater old school feel to them compared to the original PC version.

I wish this was available on the PC version, I bet it would make the game infinitely more playable since using Last Man Standing for co-op play is quite buggy.

I actually played through this with a friend a few months ago. It's REALLY short. I mean, we burned through all of it in about 90 minutes. The only real dialogue difference is with Sarge at the beginning of the game. The rest of the game doesn't feature any NPC's and TBH feels more like an oldskool shooter as a result. The levels are severely truncated and/or flat out removed and the Cyberdemon is now killed by shooting at it until it dies.

When I say truncated, I mean even MORE so than the Xbox's SP campaign. All in all, fun, but not worth the hassle. I happen to have 2 modded consoles and 2 copies of the game (standard and very rusty steelbook) so getting up and running wasn't too hard for me personally. I even broke out my old CRT for the second screen, but ultimately it was kind of a let-down. We'd both expected to finish it in one sitting, certainly, but not by the third can of beer.

As an aside, I'm stunned at how well the Xbox ports as a whole stand up, even today. Certainly, the cutbacks are evident, but it's still recognisably Doom 3, it doesn't have any of those horrible nerfs that the BFG Edition has (the sewer run in RoE was one of the best bits - fight me) and it feels even more like a survival horror game than the PC version.

Oh, and both of my OG Xbox consoles came to less than £65 total. The games are dirt cheap, too. In the UK, at least.

@hardcore_gamerPerhaps, but so are the TC's of PSX Doom, Doom 64, Half-Life Decay, etc. I don't forsee any C+D letters being issued at this stage, TBH.

Maybe there are some goodies in the files of the xbox version of Doom 3, but they are in .GOB files, so someone should unpack them.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:55 PM, Arl said:

Maybe there are some goodies in the files of the xbox version of Doom 3, but they are in .GOB files, so someone should unpack them.

There is an unpacker available at Xentax (requires registration) and it works, I tried it to unpack the files for two multiplayer maps that were later released as dlc and it worked perfectly. 

1 hour ago, Eduardo said:

There is an unpacker available at Xentax (requires registration) and it works, I tried it to unpack the files for two multiplayer maps that were later released as dlc and it worked perfectly. 

What really? I wonder if somebody could release the Xbox campaign as a mod for Doom 3.

4 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

What really? I wonder if somebody could release the Xbox campaign as a mod for Doom 3.

OG ? BFG ? or Both ?

1 hour ago, MadGuy said:

OG ? BFG ? or Both ?

OG. BFG doesn't even have mod support and in fact doesn't even use the same file formats.

The other player's face is in the game but it only appears in like one or two cut scenes and not in game.

You can play the coop by yourself in system link but IIRC level two doesn't work as you need a second player to get past the very first room. Otherwise I think its fine.

On 7/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, tempdecal.wad said:

i have the 360 version on the way and im almost sad because i could have gotten the xbox special edition with a proper key bindings.  cod controls are dumb.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:01 AM, Eduardo said:

Nice, I'll take a look.

Edited by Arl