Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReaperAA

What is your favourite Heretic episode 1 level?

What is your favourite Heretic episode 1 level?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite Heretic episode 1 level?

• E1M1 - The Docks
    • E1M2 - The Dungeons
    • E1M3 - The Gatehouse
    • E1M4 - The Guard Tower
    • E1M5 - The Citadel
    • E1M6 - The Cathedral
    • E1M7 - The Crypts
    • E1M8 - Hell's Maw
    • E1M9 - The Graveyard

Since Doom had these poll. I figured why not Heretic get these as well. Will also probably make similar threads for later episodes of Heretic.

Presonally speaking, it is a close call between E1M4 and E1M5. I will ultimately give it to E1M5.

E2 Thread: here

E3 Thread: here

Edited by ReaperAA

None really.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're bad or whatever, but I found the original Heretic and its City of the Damned episode agonizingly boring. I almost fell asleep on the chair on multiple occasions here.

15 minutes ago, seed said:

None really.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're bad or whatever, but I found the original Heretic and its City of the Damned episode agonizingly boring. I almost fell asleep on the chair on multiple occasions here.

Understandable. E1 doesn't have the monster variety and weapons of later episodes and also u just have to use crossbow for 90% of the time.

If u decide to give Heretic another chance, do consider play using Wayfarer's Tome. It is a balance patch/mod that makes the game more fun by making weapons more satisfying and giving enemies slightly faster projectiles. I myself was pleasantly surprised how much better the game became because of it.

28 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Understandable. E1 doesn't have the monster variety and weapons of later episodes and also u just have to use crossbow for 90% of the time.

If u decide to give Heretic another chance, do consider play using Wayfarer's Tome. It is a balance patch/mod that makes the game more fun by making weapons more satisfying and giving enemies slightly faster projectiles. I myself was pleasantly surprised how much better the game became because of it.

Heard about that mod, might give it a shot in the future.

I already finished the original game by the way, I didn't stop after E1, but it sure was tempting to drop the game on a few occasions, so chances of revisiting the base game are slim,I'd rather replay Hexen or Hexen 2. Community content is a different story.

The Heretic iWad is best played on BPPT, with or without mods ;D though NJ's wayfarer's tome mod is really sweet and worth a play.

On-topic: that's a tough call for me to make.

M1 is a good opener and has areas influential enough to have been replicated many times over, but being a m1 it lacks much depth and size.

M2 is a great map and is where Heretic really starts to pick up, giving a much coveted dc with a fun crusher. It also establishes some motifs seen throughout the rest of heretic and in other wads.

M3 extends off the themes of m2 and m1 in interesting ways, but probably didn't have the same lasting effect on me as the start of m2.

M4 has great weapon/item placement, but these open city/town maps are where the unguided exploration and switch hunts begin to kick off.

M5 has similar problems faced with in m4 and really drags on, but is otherwise a fun map to explore. Also speed tech found here, so that's cool!

M6 is the drag, though exploring it and finding the secret level is good.

M7 has a memorable beginning and some more first drafts of common architecture seen later on; it's also a solid penultimate map.

M8 is a good, arena-based boss map, but a bit on the short side. Great ending though; huge contrast and perhaps the polar opposite of Doom's E1 ending in that instead of dying helplessly, the player is vastly overpowered and shreds a large grouping of the toughest non-boss enemies seen thus far.

M9 is an awesome map with great weapon progression and item placement. Perhaps an easy one to overlook but I think it's a strong map and a good first secret map, if perhaps not slaughter-y or gimmick-y enough for its own good ;D

Honestly I can't pick a favorite

Edited by Fonze

Can't pick one, the episode as a whole has a very strong emotional relation to my youth.

I think M2, tied with M9, are my favorites. Both have a solid progression and it's enjoyable....and I always find the secret map at M6 no matter what...every time.

Yay heretic! :D

I chose E1M2 - Dungeons since it's one of only a few Episode 1 maps I can remember by heart XD. If there's a better episode 1 map I'd chose that but yeah, E1M2. That and this level introduced the dragon's claw.