Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
some guy who made a wad

how do you make your own midi?

Sekaiju is the most powerful one that I have experienced. Pretty much lets you do everything you want.

Aria Maestosa is probably the easiest to learn. But for experienced users its not as efficient as Sekaiju.

Anvil Studio is what I started with. Many of its features are behind a paywall (unlike Aria Maestosa and Sekaiju). But has some features that go beyond midi (since its pretty old), and I could see some people liking it.

I did a quick search for some MIDI tutorials and nothing stood out to me although they are there. But the good news is, whatever you learn about making MIDI in one software can be transferred to another if you decide to switch later on.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:29 PM, Immorpher said:

Sekaiju is the most powerful one that I have experienced. Pretty much lets you do everything you want.

Aria Maestosa is probably the easiest to learn. But for experienced users its not as efficient as Sekaiju.

Anvil Studio is what I started with. Many of its features are behind a paywall (unlike Aria Maestosa and Sekaiju). But has some features that go beyond midi (since its pretty old), and I could see some people liking it.

I did a quick search for some MIDI tutorials and nothing stood out to me although they are there. But the good news is, whatever you learn about making MIDI in one software can be transferred to another if you decide to switch later on. 

Never heard of Sekaiju i might try it myself

cubasis in a win 3.1 emulation through dosbox :3 it has so few options that it's still my fave sequencer and the pain of inputting indepedent control commands is less than the pain of learning a less suitable piece of software

feel like i have made over a hundred midi tunes in my life at this point and I will vocally defend about nine of them

20 hours ago, yakfak said:

cubasis in a win 3.1 emulation through dosbox :3

Agreed! For many years I used Cubasis 4(for w95/98) but at some point it did not work any longer due to OS incompatibility.

But I was to lazy to create such an workaround. Would love to test your solution, but I dont have _such_ old versions at hand....
For me now it is EnergyXT, but i don't like it much. As a pure Audio DAW it's REAPER, but For MIDI I don't have a good one...
Serkaju is fine, but it is ugly and i don't like the editor's layout.

As mentioned above, Anvil Studio. It's simple, even if you never worked with anything remotely similar before. Even pushing random buttons sometimes gives you a decent melody. But of course over time you learn more and more and if you are interested you can make very good stuff. I really recommend it!