Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Unhealthy and Brutana (new Doom 2 maps)

Just played unhealthy on UV. That was a finely crafted map, I really liked it. Managed to find the secret at the start fairly easily. Good monster and ammo balance throughout as well. Never found any of the fights to be frustrating or tedious at any point. Well done!

Those screenshots look very cool actually! And off it goes into my ever growing backlog folder. Expect a review sometime around 2049.

31 minutes ago, elend said:

Expect a review sometime around 2049.

Not sure if I'll be alive by then. Will see.

In Unhealthy you can pretty consistently get across the starting lava and have 21 health remaining if you start strafe running at the correct time between damaging tics. I did this purely by accident the first time I started the map. This is without finding the secret.

4 minutes ago, koren said:

In Unhealthy you can pretty consistently get across the starting lava and have 21 health remaining if you start strafe running at the correct time between damaging tics. I did this purely by accident the first time I started the map. This is without finding the secret.

I also managed this. I think in theory you can make the path a bit longer so you always take 5 damage blasts from the lava regardless of when you start running. I think the path would need to be exactly 5 times longer than the distance between two damage tics when straferunning at full speed? (I'm sure someone's done the maths on that already at some point)

Unhealthy was quite fun. I dig on reality maps, and I also really like punching things, winning combination.

If you're looking for a robust way to reduce player hp to 1 without using dehacked, you can force the player to explode some barrels (that would normally kill them) while they're standing on a "-20% + Exit" sector, so instead their hp will be reduced to 1. Note that they can't be touching the floor of the sector or the map will end, but it's easy to construct. Here's an example from ft07:

2109837929_ScreenShot2019-07-05at12_22_06PM.png.ffbe20a745eace9bf3210ee2db4296ba.png 1279155674_ScreenShot2019-07-05at12_22_10PM.png.a7843843e24ba71efd135c325443efc0.png 

full credit to GoS for the idea, though it's possible this has been used before somewhere that I'm not aware of.

Unhealthy was an enjoyable map. Slightly frustrating to find the health secret AFTER finishing the whole map at 1% though :p

Just finished Brutana as well, well-made challenging map.

Edited by MBCollector672

On 7/5/2019 at 9:00 AM, Walter confetti said:

Is brutana the same map from Doomworld Mega Project 2018 or it is changed in some way?

The same map. But there is a Prboom Plus demo included inside the wad of a 100% Tas playthrough by me. I recorded the demo at slow speed inside Prboom plus.

And here is a video of a 100% playthrough of Unhealthy. Hope to make a sequel one day.

Here is an awesome 100/100/100% demo in 5:45 with 1% health recorded by GuyNamedErick.