Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spishak Cola

q-u-e-s-t-i-o-n, Question!

Hello-Allo...

This is a tickleish question but here it goes anyways...

Is there a way I can convert a midi file into a Mp3 file and it will still work properly? I dont need anything added or anything, its just that in a program Im using I need mp3's for music and it dont allow midi's, and I tried just converting it with Winamp, but it didnt work. Could anyone here be so kind to lend me a helping hand here?

-Thanks-

Most soundcards let you record the MIDI output directly. Just open sndrec32 or something equivalent, press the record button and go.

Fredrik said:

Most soundcards let you record the MIDI output directly. Just open sndrec32 or something equivalent, press the record button and go.

Yup, my souncard allows that (an older SBLive). You have to make sure you have set the recording source to "What U hear" and then the procedure Fredrik describes works just fine.

WinAmp should work for converting MIDIs to WAVs. Get to the preferences window, and under Plug-Ins, go to Input and hit "configure" for whichever one you're using. Go to the output tab, and make sure you check off "Play through WinAmp's output system..." and "Write WAV files to:" Then just choose a directory and play the MIDI. It should be saved as a WAV file.

Then, there are lots of programs for converting WAVs to MP3s. My personal favorite is LAME.

Hello-Allo...

Archvile46 said:

WinAmp should work for converting MIDIs to WAVs. Get to the preferences window, and under Plug-Ins, go to Input and hit "configure" for whichever one you're using. Go to the output tab, and make sure you check off "Play through WinAmp's output system..." and "Write WAV files to:" Then just choose a directory and play the MIDI. It should be saved as a WAV file.

Then, there are lots of programs for converting WAVs to MP3s. My personal favorite is LAME.

...Ummm, exactly what version of WinAmp do you got? mine dont have Plug-Ins in the Preferences section.

BigBadGangsta said:

When I converted the TNT midis to mp3, I used Silverspring

Thanks, but, I dont know how to do any of that "making" or "editing" midi's or anything, I just need to find out how I can put a midi file in a mp3 form, without changing the sound or quality, just the format, cause the program I need it for, only accepts mp3's.

-Thanks-

Spishak Cola said:

Hello-Allo...
...Ummm, exactly what version of WinAmp do you got? mine dont have Plug-Ins in the Preferences section.

I know that one version of winamp I had did not support this directly, but I got a plug in that did it from the winamp site.

Frankly, I have no idea if the current version I have does it from a fresh install, or if you still need to get the plug in seperately.

I just use a program called Goldwave for whenever I want to convert an audio file. I just open it with that program and then just click "save as" and then choose the format I want.

Get winamp version 2 (NOT 3!!!) then go to the message boards at winamp.com -> easy to follow, and thourough Instructions are provided on how to convert midis into mp3

thats how ive done it in the past

Hello-Allo...

Thanks for all the help, I didn't get to convert it in time, but I did find a mp3 version of it so it turned out fine, as for what you suggested Wobbo, I will try that so that I will be able to do so in future times, thanks.

Since I'm here I might as well kill two birds with one stone and not make another thread. My next question is simular.

Is there a way I can convert a Midi into a Wav.?

-Thanks-

Spishak Cola said:

Is there a way I can convert a Midi into a Wav.?

If you want to do this to burn a song to a CD, most popular CD authoring software supports burning to an audio CD directly from MP3's; Nero, for instance, can do this.

However, if you want the Wav for a different purpose, here is how you go about doing so.

1. Go to http://classic.winamp.com/ and download WinAmp version 2.81.
  2. Install WinAmp, and then run it.
  3. Open the main menu by right-clicking on the title bar, and under Options click Preferences.
  4. Under the Plug-ins section of Preferences, choose Output.
  5. From the list that appears, click the Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in v2.0c (x86) [out_disk.dll].
  6. Click the Configure button.
  7. Click the button under Output directory and choose a directory to output the Wav files.
  8. You should be able to leave the other options alone. Click OK.
  9. Click Close to exit from Preferences.
  10. Make sure both Shuffle and Repeat are OFF. Load your file(s) by clicking the Eject button (sixth from left).
  11. Once you open your file(s), WinAmp should begin playing, but you won't hear anything. This is because it is writing Wav file(s) from the file(s) you opened to the directory you have chosen for Wav file output.