Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrancisT218

Looking for more huge/epic scale maps...

So in the last week I finished playing @ukiro's masterpiece of a map, Anagnorisis, from Eviternity. It was one of the best levels I've seen yet and a real example, IMO, of a massive epic level done right.

Earlier this year I also played UAC Invasion: The Supply Depot by @DooMknight and while it didn't give me quite as much joy as Anagnorisis did it would nonetheless be reasonably close. This type of map, arguably, probably has its roots in Alien Vendetta's Misri Halek with Deus Vult following a few years later. But since I've really enjoyed my few forays into the genre so far - are there some other recommendations you'd give for maps of a similar or at least close scale to check out?

You may want to take a look at MAP28: The Antaropolis from Struggle: Antaresian's Legacy. I'd say your description fits that level fairly well. There are a few other larger scale maps in that set as well, such as MAP20: Chorok Yeonok.

I remember a few maps from Scythe 2 felt quite large in scale when I first played through that, like MAP24: Gaia's Temple, and MAP27: Afterlife.

I always recommend Jade Earth and Hellbound's MAP29 - Ascension while thinking of big, explorative and adventurous maps.

I'm familiar with Scythe II and Struggle...I'd say Antaropolis comes closest. Scythe II not so much. Though I haven't played @antares031's DMP2017 Kerberos Complex which looks huge perhaps bigger than Struggle maps.

Jade Earth came to my mind, think I played when it came out but it was a while ago. Might revisit.

Nostril Caverns

Dholes (ESP map 05)

Escaping the spiral labyrinth (ESP map 03)

Degrassi (ESP map 01)

All those maps were made by TimeOfDeath and took at least one hour to beat.

A lot of Mechadon's work is pretty beefy. Counterattack was his latest major release. 

Map19 from Eviternity is also a similar length to Anagnorisis, although it's also a lot more linear. 

For a recent release if you like GZDoom features, Hurt has that exploration feel down.

Finally while it's not the most incredible thing ever, my old map Foursite got some attention for its length. 

Hurt was a great map, I played that. The other Eviternity map kind of pales in comparison though I'm afraid, it's not even one of my favorites in the wad. The first three levels of Counterattack (which is what I've played so far) were quite good though not quite on par with Anagnorisis for me. Maybe Vela Pex I need to play too, it looks like it has even bigger maps than Counterattack.

Maybe also check out Planisphere 2, which is just epic in sheer size. Don‘t know if the gameplay is suitably epic as well or more like exploratory (nooks and crannies as opossed to large scale city battle). Whatever the case, it definitels looks absolutely amazing! 

Planisphere2 thread

My Retribution WAD might be up your alley. Two, huge, hour-long maps and a boss map.

Single map that is 30 minutes - 2 hour long depending on route, difficulty and map completion.

Here's a list of ZDoom suggestions:

Thunderpeak Powerplant (Vader)

BlackRock (E3M7 of ZPack - also Vader)

Operation Overlord (Enjay)

Enjay's Marine Assault (you guessed it!)

Waterlab GZD (Enjay again)

ZDoom Community Map Project Take #1 (often referred to as ZDCMP1) and Take #2 (ZDCMP2) both by various authors. If you follow either of those links, Realm667 also has a project page for Tormentor667, who mostly does large ZDoom maps as well. The Ultimate Torment and Torture and City of the Damned series are very much along the lines of what I'm listing here.

Firetop Mountain (by glenzinho)

Primary Gold (by Membrain, who was going by Scripten with the original release)

Technophobia Overdose (by Remmirath, going by Morpheus then)

Warpzone (by me, which is what inspired the above... But is a bit of a grind in higher difficulties)

Coils of the Twisted Tale (also me) 

Links are in there now!

Edited by Phobus : Added links!

MAP29: Citadel at the Edge of Eternity from CC1 is (in)famous for being big, long and sometimes confusing.

Alpha Accident: Terra Nova - pretty much every single level is big and exploration heavy.

The Cheogsh series - the first one has only one level while the others have more but smaller levels.

No End In Sight - most of the maps fall in the category you're looking for, especially E3M7 (my personal favourite episode is E2).

Project Uber - Although not as big as the other ones I mentioned, it's still a wild ride.

The Last Sanctuary is a large one. It was meant for Skulltag/Zandronum but I've been able to run it in newer versions of GZDoom- which also fixed the bug with the final door code entry not working right.

If you don't mind a heavily-modified game, The City Of The Damned 2 is another big, long single map, though it feels more like Blood than Doom(and even uses a lot of Blood assets & enemies)

The final level of Sacrament is a wide open hellscape with impressive architecture.