Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeek

Quake ports and mods

Hello, doomworld! I know it might appear slightly out of place, but I have no other place to ask anyway.

I'm more into Doom, but still like Quake, and recently, after playing Dimensions of the Past, I really want to get into its mod scene.  I was playing DotP in Quakespasm, but simply because it was already a complete package with this download. I want to try Arcane Dimensions next, so I want to get into ports properly. Since AD is technically more impressive, maybe I should try some other port? 

Why would you change the port unless there is a problem or a mod that isn't supported? I've been using Quakespasm for a long time. The other alternative would be Mark V (http://quakeone.com/markv/), but that one's very similar.

I wouldn't recommend DarkPlaces, that has modified physics (and I don't like the way it looks).

Quakespasm is the best port as far as I can tell. No real need to switch unless you just want to experiment for yourself.

Quaddicted.com is like the Doomworld for Quake stuff, so I recommend checking that out. It's not anywhere near as busy but there are some great tutorials and lots of mods and maps to download.

I see it's already been covered. If you're looking for as close to a vanilla port with engine limits removed, Quakespasm is your best bet. And it's also been covered; some people like darkplaces, but it changes quite a bit about the game, including physics. So unless a mod is specifically designed to use darkplaces I would recommend quakespasm. I don't mind darkplaces, it can look rather pretty, but the changes to the lighting and texture make it a mess if the levels weren't specifically designed with the engine in mind. Load it up and play the base game, looks like crap. They did what they could, but you can't just replace the textures and expect everything to look nice and aligned. The new textures look out of place.