Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

unpopular retro opinions

51 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Of course, it is. That's the popular opinion. 

Maybe for you. I typically hear the reverse.

9 hours ago, amackert said:

Quake 1 is a far superior game to Quake 2.

Well I hardly agree at all, it was actually simpler than Doom in some ways, also its bosses are a joke. The expansions did a better job than the base game.

Edited by Avoozl

Couple more here:

1) StarCraft is seriously overrated. I resent how it's seen as the gold standard in RTS design, as I feel that other RTS titles have provided far more in-depth, tactics rewarding experiences (Age of Empires 2, Dawn of War, Ground Control...). 

2) Diablo 2 is likewise overrated

3) Icewind Dale 1 and 2 were superior to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. 

4) Neverwinter Nights 1 was dull. Neverwinter Nights 2 is good to this day. 

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

its bosses are a joke.

100% agreed. Especially the final boss in Quake is a complete joke. Even the IoS of Doom 2 is much better than Shub-Niggurath.

12 hours ago, scalliano said:

1990 Aliens arcade game is still the best Aliens game, and Aliens Colonial Marines was actually quite fun.

Alien: Isolation is a masterpiece though.

Quake 2 is a more consistent game. Quake 1 is a more interesting game. There's an interesting story there yet to be tapped.

The Duke Nukem platformers were terrible. I forced myself to finally finish them recently. The first was OK but the exploding surprises were annoying and slowed the game. They were even worse in Duke 2, which seemed to take the "annoying things to stop the flow of gameplay" and turned it up to 11. I gave up in frustration on the second last level of the final episode.

Diablo games are dull and repetitive.

That's all I can think of right now.

It's Gatling Gun, not Chaingun.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:10 AM, Ajora said:

Phantasy Star 4 and Jedi Outcast aren't anything special. 

What do you mean? Phantasy Star 4 is awesome.

1 hour ago, unerxai said:

New unpopular opinion: Shub-Niggurath is a cool final boss level.

+1, I like Quake as a whole.

In fact, the original is still my favorite in the series by far, rivaled only by Quake 3 and 4, maybe. I tried playing Quake 2 a few times and that game feels so tedious I'm prolly never going to finish it, and that's ok.

What's with the hate in this thread?

Well here's my opinion, John Romero isn't a genius. He didn't create Doom on his own, he had help. His maps have flaws, such as easy to find secrets and a lot of traps (Soul Sphere in a big room. I wonder if I'll be safe once I pick it up. *Takes it and enemies come out* Nevermind).

1 hour ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

It's Gatling Gun, not Chaingun.

What do you mean? Phantasy Star 4 is awesome.

It's perfectly alright, but there are countless 16-bit RPGs that are superior in every way possible. As soon as I finished playing through it on the PS2 Sega Genesis Collection, I immediately played through Sword of Vermillion, and I had way more fun with that. Now there's a Genesis RPG deserving of praise and attention. Nobody really seems to like Sword of Vermillion, but I had a grand old time with it. Sword of Vermillion is mack. 

12 minutes ago, Ajora said:

It's perfectly alright, but there are countless 16-bit RPGs that are superior in every way possible. As soon as I finished playing through it on the PS2 Sega Genesis Collection, I immediately played through Sword of Vermillion, and I had way more fun with that. Now there's a Genesis RPG deserving of praise and attention. Nobody really seems to like Sword of Vermillion, but I had a grand old time with it. Sword of Vermillion is mack. 

I'm glad you enjoy Sword of Vermillion.

6 hours ago, Murdoch said:

The Duke Nukem platformers were terrible. I forced myself to finally finish them recently. The first was OK but the exploding surprises were annoying and slowed the game. They were even worse in Duke 2, which seemed to take the "annoying things to stop the flow of gameplay" and turned it up to 11. I gave up in frustration on the second last level of the final episode.

Funnily, I really liked Duke Nukem II's atmosphere and kick-ass music, but Duke Nukem 1 never did it for me - having played the second it felt too primitive, technically.

You kind of need a special mindset for Duke II, I agree, and fast non-stop gameplay will probably not get you far. Learning every level (which takes trial and error) and planning will allow you to complete every level without taking a single hit (to collect Secret Bonus 2), but it is rather time consuming, and not everyone will have the patience.

2 hours ago, dr_st said:

Funnily, I really liked Duke Nukem II's atmosphere and kick-ass music, but Duke Nukem 1 never did it for me - having played the second it felt too primitive, technically.

You kind of need a special mindset for Duke II, I agree, and fast non-stop gameplay will probably not get you far. Learning every level (which takes trial and error) and planning will allow you to complete every level without taking a single hit (to collect Secret Bonus 2), but it is rather time consuming, and not everyone will have the patience.

Duke 2 does have a great vibe. And I think that just me angrier. I wanted it to be fun. A lot of the time it was. But ultimately there was just too many spots where it was clear the motivation was not to create a good challenging fight but to be intentionally annoying. If I fail, I want to fail because my reactions were wrong, not because I was hanging off bar over lava and an alien bird flies out to attack me when I have virtually no chance of dodging it.

8 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

What's with the hate in this thread?

Well here's my opinion, John Romero isn't a genius. He didn't create Doom on his own, he had help. His maps have flaws, such as easy to find secrets and a lot of traps (Soul Sphere in a big room. I wonder if I'll be safe once I pick it up. *Takes it and enemies come out* Nevermind).

I agree. His track record post Doom speaks volumes. Do not get me wrong, he seems like a cool guy and I certainly have nothing against him. He has a lot of great creative ideas, but he seems to lack a certain... practicality I guess is the word I want.

Doom was lightning in a bottle. The right collection of creative and technical minds at the right time that meshed together just right. No one person is more responsible than the others for it working so well.

13 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

3) Icewind Dale 1 and 2 were superior to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2. 

I didn't much enjoy IWD2, but the original was by far my favourite Infinity Engine game.

I did always like Duke Nukem 2 for it's style and music. But I never did get far into it. Don't think I ever even beat the second map.

I love the DN platformers even with the annoying hud elements that would occupy too much screen and the sprites that were way too big for their own good. Duke saying he watches Oprah is funny too. Now you can't buy either of those games anywhere... shame.

I found the first two Duke Nukem games to be pretty average. Muri was a blatant ripoff of Duke Nukem 1 and was better in every way possible. 

8 hours ago, kristus said:

I did always like Duke Nukem 2 for it's style and music. But I never did get far into it. Don't think I ever even beat the second map.

Then you missed a lot of the cool tunes (unless you listened to the soundtrack separately). :P 

9 hours ago, Murdoch said:

If I fail, I want to fail because my reactions were wrong, not because I was hanging off bar over lava and an alien bird flies out to attack me when I have virtually no chance of dodging it.

Precisely. You can get into situations where avoiding damage is impossible, once you're there. However, it's possible to avoid these situations in the first place, with planning, which takes a lot of time and patience. Beating a level "blind" is almost impossible on the hard difficulty.

4 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Heretic, Hexen, and Strife are amazing.

Totally agree.

The new fire emblem games (Awakening and fates) are better than the older games. Shining force 2 is better than FE.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, kristus said:

Oh hi Kristus :) Been a while. How are you doing?

17 hours ago, dr_st said:

Precisely. You can get into situations where avoiding damage is impossible, once you're there. However, it's possible to avoid these situations in the first place, with planning, which takes a lot of time and patience. Beating a level "blind" is almost impossible on the hard difficulty.

That is bad level design, particularly for something that bills itself as a fast paced action game. If getting through a level without taking cheap damage requires prior knowledge, then you have failed in my opinion as a designer. But I am glad someone enjoyed it.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:35 AM, The Strife Commando said:

Heretic, Hexen, and Strife are amazing.

This isn't really that unpopular of an opinion, it's just that Doom is a lot more popular. Heretic in particular seems to be slowly growing in popularity lately among mappers.

Strife needs more maps though, dammit! I was thinking about starting something akin to the *UMP series (Doom/Heretic/Hexen Upstart Mapping Project) for Strife but I didn't think I had enough mapping skill or community clout to do that. Plus implementing enough Strife features to make it a worthy Strife project would be a chore, even in ZDoom ports, especially for a community project.

My real, unpopular opinion:

Most N64 games are utterly forgettable.

Dr. Mario is better than Tetris.

I'll try to hit you with the most unpopular opinions I can think of...

Super Mario World is a hidden gem. Does anyone even remember that game?

Bubsy is awesome. You're just all idiots for dying to fall damage... BUBSY CAN GLIDE PEOPLE!!!

CastleVania SOTN is terrible, because it relies on grinding like all terrible games. Why have skill when you can have time invested.

Quake is better than Doom. Change my mind!

SHMUP players get a lot of women. Prove me wrong!

Zelda peaked at the second entry.

MetroidVanias are adventure games, all you indie games calling your games MetroidVanias is just a way to file in and confuse search engines with better games.

Batman: Forever is every bit as atmospheric and perfect as Super Metroid.
Mario brought about furries with Mario 3's costumes not Sonic.