Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

I am going to make up a rumor with no evidence that the game will have microtransactions

As far as we know, the microtransactions are: 

1) Skins for multiplayer, pure cosmetic. 

2) Planned single player DLC/ campaign expansions. 

Both of those fit into the catagory of either: 

A) Not necessary at all unless you decide it is. 

B) Actual content that could potentially be worth it, like old expansion packs. 

Not sure what the problem would be in either case. As I said, we used to buy expansions before anyhow. This is hardly Horse Armor DLC....

My concern is that Zenimax will up the ante over time. Keep in mind that, when Horse Armor came out in Oblivion, people were outraged at the thought of cosmetic microtransactions. Over time, we've come to accept it. id Software I trust, it's their parent company that has me uneasy. That skins are merely their way of getting a foot in the door and that it never stops with just that. Also doesn't help that Snapmap was removed and they currently have no plans to implement mod support. As of right now, this is the first Doom to completely cut out support for fan-made content in favor of just paid content.

Edited by MetroidJunkie

1 hour ago, MetroidJunkie said:

Also doesn't help that Snapmap was removed and they currently have no plans to implement mod support.

They have outright stated they are working on making the engine support modding. And as for snapmap, they never said why specifically but it was seemingly removed because  demand wanted it to be in favour of singleplayer DLC. 

Took me a moment to work out the subject had been changed by a mod!  I was wondering if we were seeing dual-personality disorder in action.

I cannot believe my thread title was changed when I have obvious evidence that other games are embracing microtransactions, when that is a Very Bad Thing To Do. Namely, CS:GO - why has that suddenly become free on Steam? Oh, because you pay in other ways just to progress through the game. So now that game is dead to me because it's tantamount to GAMBLING. How dare you, mods!

4 hours ago, TheRedTide said:

"Do you have a single fact to back that up?" - Denton, J.C.

“Yeah. Number one: that’s terr—“

*gets tasered*

9 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I cannot believe my thread title was changed when I have obvious evidence that other games are embracing microtransactions, when that is a Very Bad Thing To Do. Namely, CS:GO - why has that suddenly become free on Steam? Oh, because you pay in other ways just to progress through the game. So now that game is dead to me because it's tantamount to GAMBLING. How dare you, mods!

You need to show us evidence for this game.

11 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You need to show us evidence for this game.

I don't have evidence now for Doom Eternal, but I'm thinking that if CS:GO didn't have microtransactions at first, but does now, then it's something that Bethesda might add later on. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that example.

I just did a quick Google search for "bethesda games with microtransactions", and it seems there are quite a few. Who's to say they won't declare that Doom Eternal must have them, too?

3 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

I just did a quick Google search for "bethesda games with microtransactions", and it seems there are quite a few. Who's to say they won't declare that Doom Eternal must have them, too?

Who is to say, indeed? Certainly not you or I, none of us can prove that it will or won't. Just because some games have microtransactions, that doesn't mean all do, after all. Wolfenstein:TNC was published by Bethesda and that didn't. So that in itself is not proof. Doom 2016 is an id game and that didn't either.

Make up a rumor huh? Humans eat 5 spiders a year in their sleep. It's not a rumor if the Internet says it's true.

Edited by geo

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Namely, CS:GO - why has that suddenly become free on Steam? Oh, because you pay in other ways just to progress through the game. So now that game is dead to me because it's tantamount to GAMBLING. How dare you, mods!

CS:GO became free because it's a dying game, not because microtransactions were fulfilling their financial needs. It's biggest community used to be Europe (the pro circuit used to be way bigger in the EU than it ever was in NA), but the pro circuit started dwindling due to the lack of serious commitment the CS:GO dev team had to actually maintaining the game beyond cosmetics. It was update after update tampering with the core mechanics, while shoveling out nonsense (your microtransactions). They still don't really have a handle on hackers, yet Dust 2 and Inferno are on their what- 3rd, 4th iteration now? And we have gloves? Ok. Pretty maps and accessories don't fix the dropping numbers, and when the pro circuit started dying in Europe, it was just a hopeless cause. Their last ditch effort was to squeeze CS:GO through the Battle Royale meat grinder, and make it free to play (despite knowing this would infinitely compound the hacker issue), in a desperate attempt to bring players back.  

Microtransactions have sadly become the norm.
 I can live with it, if it's just skins like many fps games such as CS:GO since I don't care about having a gold plated P90 or rainbow AWP.
or a way to earn in game currency to buy stuff like Halo 5's req system so I can unlock armors or a Battle Riffle with with hardlight bullets to use in Warzone Firefight.  
As against MTs as I am, they're not going away anytime soon.

Regarding Eternal, if we're talking paying money for an expansion like older games did, then hell yes, I'll happily pay actual money for more proper content, but if it's just skins and irrelevant crap, then no, I'll buy the game for the $60 new price and that'll be the extent of my cash going to Zenimax.

So your evidence that Doom Eternal might have microtransactions is another game enabled them after the fact? Do me a favour, never serve on a jury.

"So someone was seen fleeing the scene, and the defendant is also human? Clearly guilty! Hang him forthwith!"

Not saying you are wrong. There may be some level of microtransactions. But somehow I doubt id will let them be much more than MP cosmetics. They would get publicly crucified if it was anything else. Hell they will get crucified for that too, but much less than if the transactions interfered with the SP gameplay. I really just cannot see id allowing it to happen.

4 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I don't have evidence now for Doom Eternal, but I'm thinking that if CS:GO didn't have microtransactions at first, but does now, then it's something that Bethesda might add later on. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that example.

Bethesda isn't even developing Eternal, id is.

Why should singleplayer DLC stop a map editor from being made? Bethesda always released a mod tool called Construction Set or Creation Kit with a map editor in it for their Elder Scrolls games despite singleplayer DLC being available, it even worked with the new content.

Edited by Avoozl

10 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I cannot believe my thread title was changed when I have obvious evidence that other games are embracing microtransactions...

10 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I don't have evidence now for Doom Eternal...

... I just did a quick Google search for "bethesda games with microtransactions" 

Amazing, truly outstanding.

Skins and monsters for Battle Mode, generally. IMHO. It's Bethesda.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:38 PM, Foebane72 said:

I don't have evidence now for Doom Eternal, but I'm thinking that...

On 7/10/2019 at 2:59 PM, Foebane72 said:

Fair enough, Edward, but I just thought I'd bring it up as a possibility.

I don't have any evidence now that you subsist on a diet of paint chips and meth amphetamines, but I've seen other people with substance problems also make paranoid conclusions without evidence, so I just thought I'd bring it up as a possibility.

I don't have any doubts. I could see something like Fallout Creation club but for Doom. Anything to ''nickel and dime'' you.

23 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

Shall we roll the dice?

Iacta alea est.

Author of OP is a bad rumor spread in DW...not that I mind of, since I won't play the game ;)

Anyway. Don't believe in these rumors that smell like made-up bullshit. Wait for that kind of news...